Ceremonies Discussion

Hmmm, now that the rehearsals are actually happening, there are a lot of chances that we'll see some more leaked content. The tickets for the rehearsals are 100$

Also i found this announcement for the rehearsal thingie http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/tix/1539494261.html

/\ /\ That's a first...OPENLY selling tix to the Dress Rehearsal. But I fear that is NOT sanctioned. I think some cast members are selling their alloted 2 tix under the table. And with 4,400 cast members x 2 tix each; so really only about 10,000 tix are being given gratis by VANOC...leaving some 45,000 seats empty.

But VANOC would not be selling tix on Craigslist. So...buyer...beware.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

... As several Canadians have stated, this obsession with the first nations is completely driven by political correctness and as a result, the first nations are getting more representation than other groups - namely white Europeans and Asians.

Speaking as one of those White Canadians, I'm glad to hear they are including the First Nations stuff. Yes, some of it may be political correctness, but I don't think that's all there is to it.

I have no doubt that the vast majority of the OC will have a very "White European" flavour. The Torch, the Speeches, and the Raising of the Flags are all European traditions and could be happening in any number of countries.

For most of the world, seeing the First Nations will make it clear that these games are happening in CANADA. Yeah, some will also think of the "Wild West", but I'm confident that we can show our "West" was very different from Hollywood's version.

Really, other than Mounties and Maple Leafs, what better to make us visibly stand out as not just another U.S. or European city/country. Vancouver is beautiful and unique in a lot of ways, but that's hard to show in the first few minutes of a TV show. Especially when you have to fit it in around all those ceremonial parts.

I also have high hopes that we'll see a little bit of a lot of different cultures. Asian, British, (East) Indian and a whole lot more. We're proud of how diverse we are. Why would we not take the chance to show the world, we have little of all the world in us.

Marg

It shouldn't be European, Asian, or African cultures on display. It should be CANADIAN. And all this horse crap about Canada not having a culture...impossible! You can't put people together without them creating a culture. Just because it isn't defined by a silly costume or a plate of food, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Core values define culture. Not silly costumes and food.

/\ /\ That's a first...OPENLY selling tix to the Dress Rehearsal. But I fear that is NOT sanctioned. I think some cast members are selling their alloted 2 tix under the table. And with 4,400 cast members x 2 tix each; so really only about 10,000 tix are being given gratis by VANOC...leaving some 45,000 seats empty.

But VANOC would not be selling tix on Craigslist. So...buyer...beware.

SOCOG did the same thing in Sydney - they sold 5,000 seats at $30 a ticket for those not related to cast members for two dress rehearsals (Sept 09 - did not feature of the headline musical acts anmd Sept 13 was a full rehearsal and flame test). Tickets at the gate only - and they were not publicised at all. They even cheekily printed up a program that sold for $10.

It shouldn't be European, Asian, or African cultures on display. It should be CANADIAN. And all this horse crap about Canada not having a culture...impossible! You can't put people together without them creating a culture. Just because it isn't defined by a silly costume or a plate of food, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Core values define culture. Not silly costumes and food.

Ken, what do you esteem as "Canadian"?

And workforce volunteers are now being offered one free dress rehearsal ticket and the option of purchasing another for $50 for a guest. Suffice to say I'll be in the queue the first morning they're available in Vancouver!!!!

SOCOG did the same thing in Sydney - they sold 5,000 seats at $30 a ticket for those not related to cast members for two dress rehearsals (Sept 09 - did not feature of the headline musical acts anmd Sept 13 was a full rehearsal and flame test). Tickets at the gate only - and they were not publicised at all. They even cheekily printed up a program that sold for $10.

And workforce volunteers are now being offered one free dress rehearsal ticket and the option of purchasing another for $50 for a guest. Suffice to say I'll be in the queue the first morning they're available in Vancouver!!!!

I am jealous...

very jealous

(but) I do cross my fingers that you get one/two of the tickets!!!!

Ken, what do you esteem as "Canadian"?

Nature. Individualism. Humour. Friendliness. Winter. Peacekeeping. Hockey. Cooperation. Wilderness. Community. Exploration. Modernity. And if that fails to register...Mounties.

It is more abstract than what China, Italy, Brazil, or Britain present, but these are very Canadian things. We don't have a national uniform or a national dance, but I think it would be a mistake to present Canada as just a bunch of aboriginals and immigrants living out their old ways. This is a chance to show the new and very real Canada.

Nature. Individualism. Humour. Friendliness. Winter. Peacekeeping. Hockey. Cooperation. Wilderness. Community. Exploration. Modernity. And if that fails to register...Mounties.

It is more abstract than what China, Italy, Brazil, or Britain present, but these are very Canadian things. We don't have a national uniform or a national dance, but I think it would be a mistake to present Canada as just a bunch of aboriginals and immigrants living out their old ways. This is a chance to show the new and very real Canada.

I agree completely. I just think the First Nations are a part of that and a whole lot easier to "See" than some of our other great qualities. I also think the First Nations and immigrants will be only one PART of what they show the world. It takes all those different things to make up Canada. I think they will be showing us Nature, Friendliness, Modernity, Humour, Winter, Hockey... and yes, more than just a couple of Mounties. Other than the First Nations and Mounties, what in your list can't be said to be true of some other country. It's how we blend them all together that makes us uniquely Canadian.

I agree completely. I just think the First Nations are a part of that and a whole lot easier to "See" than some of our other great qualities.

I agree.

We'll have to wait until the Ceremony, but in terms of design (logo, mascots), I think it's hard to represent said abstract ideas about any country / culture without being loose in reference and therefore working for much more than the intended country / culture.

I would like to say that a lot of the logos in Olympic History that seem to really wet people's pants around here (Mexico City, Munich, and Barcelona for example) are very loosely based on their respective hosts. Yes, they do say the hosting country without using obvious cultural, or even cliché, imagery, but in turn, they can say a lot of different things if you want them too as well.

...Inukshuk's were there...already designed... they're part of Canada... they can make good design motifs. Much more straightforward to use it an Inukshuk than design something from scratch to represent such abstract ideas. Those ideas should be left to all the cheering, exciting, diverse faces and distinctive atmosphere that people will remember Canada's Games by, not some 2-D logo that people would soon forget.

Based on the number of cock-ups they've committed in the last several years--most visibly at YVR--the LAST thing I want representing Canada on the world stage is the RCMP.

We need to drop the 1920 notion of them, drop them, and get a proper national security force. They're an embarassment.

I do agree with you 100% Look at our logo, our motto, our medals, the look of the games, and the mascots they all represent somethings... and this something come from our culture.... I just hope the ceremonies will show the multiculturalism of Canada. I want the ceremonies to show everythings.... the real Canada behind mounties and aboriginal but those ones are importants still... It,s after all what a common person from all around the world want to see (I know not everybody, but a HUGE part) .. Then again... I had to work in a tourist shop in Banff to trully believe it.... I even had the chance to read postcard from tourists.... and a fair amount of them wrote something like " too bad we didnt see any mounties" or we been taking so many pictures with a mountie replica" or " the mountie are even greater in Canada, you should come here and see them". They also buy a lot (like a lot) a mini mounties figurine as a souvenir and lot's of native craft made in China (I know, it's ironic). I also want the ceremonie to show this part of canada where we all speak french.... Dont need to be an artist from quebec, Canada have TONS of french singer, dancer, etc, most of them from New Brunswick or Manitoba and even Ontario.

Problems or not, the RCMP are part of Canada's iconography. The red tunics will be present at all medal ceremonies and will no doubt be part of the entry of the Governor General, IOC President, and VANOC CEO and hoisting of the Canadian flag at the Opening Ceremony.

There will no doubt be a First Nations segment in the Opening Ceremony. They are an important part of the country's story, just as the Renaissance was a theme in Torino, the Cycladic head was part of Athens, and the brush strokes were part of Beijing. But like those components of each ceremony, they shouldn't be the dominant theme. First Nations played an important part of the ceremonies of Montreal and Calgary as well.

There will no doubt be a First Nations segment in the Opening Ceremony. They are an important part of the country's story, just as the Renaissance was a theme in Torino..

Now that I remember it, there wasn't a prominent reference to Renaissance a part for that lame dedicated section in the OC.. Torino's leitmotiv was pretty more futuristic.

The Opening Ceremony starts at 6:00 pm local time in Vancouver on Friday, February 12. Vancouver is in the Pacific Time Zone of North America. That is 2:00 am UTC. 9:00 pm in Toronto/New York. 1:00 pm Saturday in Sydney.

Bewdy - some good Saturday afternoon viewing to look forward to.

ohhh - that is 03:00 a.m. in Germany

that means I have to get up very early

:blink:

but I think to watch the Ceremonies live is the only way to watch it!!!

:) :) :)

I agree. I'd always get up for the OC, no matter what time it was.

That's one area I think the USA IS short-changed, with NBC's refusal to countenance an OC broadcast in anything but prime time.

Vancouver games will be opened in February 13th. It will start by midnight here in my place. GMT-3

Oh, the first Winter Games I'll be watching live. I'm so thrilled ^_^ In 2006 the TV was showing poker during the OC...