Ceremonies Discussion

Is David Foster writing any song for the Olympic? I just saw his concert this evening and I was blown away by our Canadian talents on the stage. Sarah Mclachlan was a suprise guest, she sounded amazing. Deborah Cox was amazing also. Plus the Canadian tenors who I have never heard of were impressive. I hope we see some of them during the Olympic.

big_expo86openingceremonies.jpg

this looks boring... hopefully Olympics 2010 wont be like this..

They should rip off the old roof as part of the opening ceremonies since it's due to be replaced by a retractable one immediately after the Games anyway. :)

Why they didn't do that prior to 2010 WOG is beyond me. I will give props to VANOC though if this whole indoor OC is successful.

Why they didn't do that prior to 2010 WOG is beyond me. I will give props to VANOC though if this whole indoor OC is successful.

Lack of political will, fueled by a public stingy with any additional Olympic spending (fueled by terrible sensationalist anti-Games local media). This couldn't be done by VANOC alone, they didn't have the money.

Like I said before, it took a roof collapse in 2006 for the government to realize how important BC Place was - that it was the centrepiece of Olympics being the Olympic Stadium, and evenmoreso for 2010 by doubling as the medals ceremonies plaza. They realized far too late, tried to put together plans but with all the red tape in this city and province there wasn't enough time.

The roof collapse gave the government an excuse to renovate the stadium for the purpose of functional needs and not just for the Olympics. But again, it was far too late. If only the roof collapse had happened the day after we won the 2010 Olympics...

Instead, the new roof will be ready 18-months after the Games. Sad? Quite.

I have worries about the Vancouver ceremonies. From what I know, they are a pretty small production compared to even previous recent Winter Games ceremonies (i.e. a lot less performers than Torino and even Salt Lake). And although the venue is much bigger, not much was really spent to enhance/modify it for Games-time purposes....most of the $65-million in Games-time renovations were spent on the concourse, washrooms, concession facilities, the VIP lounge box....not much of that went to other things.

It sounds like VANOC has a lot on their plate with regards to the ceremonies - but still, can't beat the gorgeous setting Vancouver and British Columbia will provide. I just hope NBC does away with that giant Gold box for sponsorships they had during Beijing 2008 when they showed clips of the host region. :angry:

What was this?

During the Olympics when NBC cuts to a commercial during an event or the Ceremonies they always play the Olympic Fanfare and then show a clip of the host city/region. For example, during Sydney 2000 they would cut to a commercial, play the Fanfare and then do a flyover of Sydney Harbour. Actually, it's always been a great aspect of watching the games here and one of the few things that NBC has done right.

I believe it may have started with Torino 2006 or possibly Athens where they would have the clip but also have a small picture of a sponsorship logo (like Coca Cola or McDonalds), however the logo was fairly small and you could still see the clip.

During Beijing they kept the clips and fanfare but took the sponsorship logo one step further - they had this big gold box with a huge picture of the sponsorship logo in it taking up a large piece of the screen - there was honestly no use in showing a flyover of the Beijing skyline or the Great Wall because you could barely even see it! :angry:

I know it's hard to explain and i've been trying to find a clip on youtube that will give you a beter idea.

4119968637_ea56ff4377_o.jpg

something more modern at BC place..

81 more day to go.. till OPENING CEREMONY 2010

I don't know how they are gonna play this one out.

If you have a stage you can really change the look of the place, but you limit the scale of the venue and for the Olympics you wanna go big.

I hope we follow the usual idea of having a podium area off to one side of the stadium and the stage is the entire field.

• 3 weeks later...
Regarding the tents were the performer will be rehearsing for the Olympic ceremony.

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/News/local/2009/...119506-sun.html

I was there 2 days ago and heard a lot of music around those big tents ! No way... that you could listen to the music they will use during their show....

I should have record it....

Here are some views :

dsc00265qn.jpgdsc00273i.jpg

Edited by memorabilia

I was there 2 days ago and heard a lot of music around those big tents ! No way... that you could listen to the music they will use during their show....

I should have record it....

What was the music like? Rock? Pop? Jazz? Symphonic/classical? Anything comparable to previous Olympic ceremony tunes?

What was the music like? Rock? Pop? Jazz? Symphonic/classical? Anything comparable to previous Olympic ceremony tunes?

It was only played at piano the 2/3 minutes at stay near by. Sounds like to be jazzy...

Based on who is performing in Vancouver during the medal ceremonies (and who isn't), I'd say it is almost a safe bet to assume that Sarah McLaughlin and Celine Dion will be part of the Opening Ceremony.

I was actually thinking the same for Michael Buble.

Very theatrical. Maybe that is the reason why they have small cast of volunteer for the opening and closing ceremony because they will be learning very difficult choreography.

I think they have what? 3,800 performers for both Opening & Closing? That's no small cast for a 55,000+ arena (i.e., about 7% of the total spectator capacity).

For mass movements (i.e., hundreds of dancers), you cannot conceive very difficult choreography. It will be lost in a haze. If he and the David Atkins people know their job, it will just be grand strokes since it must be seen on a vast scale rather than on a close-up, proscenium stage (which of course a jumbotron screen would give).

Edited by baron-pierreIV