Ceremonies Discussion

Oh, and I forgot to add....43-minutes ago in 2-weeks, it all begins. :)

I've waited for 8 years.

Let's just hope it doesn't turn into Star Wars Episode I. All the wait, all the hype, and then upon leaving the theater... what the hell was that? ;):rolleyes::lol: Or I should say Indiana Jones 4. All the wait, and *kaboom*... nuke the fridge. :rolleyes:

Let's just hope it doesn't turn into Star Wars Episode I. All the wait, all the hype, and then upon leaving the theater... what the hell was that? ;):rolleyes::lol: Or I should say Indiana Jones 4. All the wait, and *kaboom*... nuke the fridge. :rolleyes:

As long as it isn't like the handover, or filled with embarrassing stereotypes or 2 hours of Aboriginal throat singing I'll be content.

Just out of curiosity, I'm guessing you're quoting someone else telling you it's absolutely impressive? You haven't had it described to you / seen it and come to your own conclusion? Just wondering because I'd probably appreciate your take on it more than someone else's that I don't know.

Thanks X - I can't wait to hear your take on it afterwords.

It's someone elses take, and I would think that she's trustworthy.

As long as it isn't like the handover, or filled with embarrassing stereotypes or 2 hours of Aboriginal throat singing I'll be content.

Those that were responsible for the Torino handover are not part of the Opening, Closing, nor Victory Ceremonies in any way. The Torino fail was due to the Cirque du Soleil's focus on symbolism (which nobody got) and the lack of an on-camera rehearsal.

Those that were responsible for the Torino handover are not part of the Opening, Closing, nor Victory Ceremonies in any way. The Torino fail was due to the Cirque du Soleil's focus on symbolism (which nobody got) and the lack of an on-camera rehearsal.

Cirque du Soleil was not involved in the handover. There were a number of Montreal Circus schools that were however - that's part of the reason why I think it failed. No copycat ever matches the beauty and professionalism of Cirque du Soleil.

I love that I believe song. So annoying it's not available on iTUNES in the UK. Grrrr.

You can also download the video from YouTube (for example, if you have one of the newer versions of Real Player, a download link should pop up when you put the cursor on the video) and then extract the audio file with some sound recording software.

When i heard the song for the first time i had a grateful surprise, CTV did an excelent work with this theme song. I think it would be weird that a theme song from a channel would be performed at the OC, but anyway, tit would be a shame they dont use such a breathaking song for the ceremonies.

Ok then, now making some small speculation 'bout the structure ceremonies (but of course much of these things may not happen in the end :lol: ) considering David Atkins last two ceremonies works

1) Sydney 2000 had probably the best national anthem performance ever on an OC. Qatar anthem was pretty good as well on the 2006 Asiad. Probably they'll make a great rendition of the Canadian anthem.

2) Both ceremonies had a huge stage at one of the tribunes of the stadia (NOTE: After seeing how the seats are distributed i'm not sure if this will happen again on Vancouver)

2) Bot Doha and Sydney had young kids as the main characters of the ceremonies storyline, which was an element that connected the performances each other. I'm looking for something different this time.

3) Doha and Sydney had like three or four song performances on the OC (while Beijing and Athens only had like one or two). They would probably use a couple of song to open and/or conclude the parade of nations, and a song for the last leg of the torch relay before reaching the cauldron.

4) They used lots of horses (and elephants in Doha) on both of these ceremonies. And since Canada has the RCMP...

PD: I'm just praying Avril Lavigne and Celine Dion stay away from the show D:

PD: I'm just praying Avril Lavigne and Celine Dion stay away from the show D:

Sorry - but couldn't disagree with you more on that one. It would be amazing. I'd love to see that Believe song performed too!

Agree with your other points.

Cirque has its niche: Vegas and touring shows. But even "O!" in Vegas left me...to use a pun...cold. I think Cirque no longer knows how to do things like Olympic Ceremonies. You have to hit the right notes in an Olympic Ceremony.

"O" is my favourite show, and besides that show my favourite was their cameo at the Oscar's in 2002 - so I would beg to differ.

But let's just hope one of the other schools doesn't try to be too much like them so much so that they fail miserably.

My one hope is they keep Celine out of it. Really, I respect the woman, but Canada has so much more to offer. Plus Celine had her chance in Atlanta.

I hope Nikki Yanofsky is involved in some way. "I Believe" is a bit on the cheesy side, but then what Olympic song isn't. I remember seeing Nikki at the Montreal Jazz Festival when she was 11 or 12 and she absolutely blew everyone away. It was like watching Ella Fitzgerald in the body of a kid. She's a tremendously talented jazz singer. Diana Krall or Micheal Buble would do, too. They both call Vancouver home, so it would be appropriate.

As for cauldron lighting, I just hope that Gretzy is not the one. He may have been a great hockey player, but is less than deserving of the national hero status - I just don't get why my country is fawning over him like they do. Frankly, he just doesn't deserve the honour.

I'm trying not to ruin the surprise (mostly for myself - I may have to unplug for a few days before the ceremony), so I quickly put in my earbuds and only heard a bit, but the best way to describe it was "classically modern".

Ata boy David Atkins! SYDNEY 2000!!!!

Did anyone else hear about this "We are the world" song that's being played at the opening ceremonies? Justin Bieber, Celine Dion, etc...?

I read this morning it was going to be unveiled in Vancouver during the Olympics, but it didn't occur to me it would be part of the ceremony........??? It seems like more an American venture, but I suppose Vancouver needed to recognize the Haiti situation in some way during the ceremony....and since Celine is involved......well there ya go.

Did anyone else hear about this "We are the world" song that's being played at the opening ceremonies? Justin Bieber, Celine Dion, etc...?

The song and video are premièring during NBC's Olympics coverage(probably the OC, but not confirmed to my knowledge), not actually a part of the ceremony.