Ceremonies Discussion

It would be nice if Celine would do something, I don't remember Atlanta so I wouldn't mind seeing her. I mean it doesn't have to be the Celine show...but wouldn't it be odd if she was not in it at all? I mean she does sing really well, and she is very nice.

p.s. perhaps Steven Harper could ride her out.......just a thought. (Celine....I kid.)

Edited by stirthesoul

If I understand this article correctly, NBC doesn't want to air the song live but as a prerecorded video. So Celine Dion could take part in the ceremony.

Producer Quincy Jones and singer/songwriter Lionel Richie -- the producer and co-writer of the iconic 1985 philanthropic anthem "We are the World" -- teamed up with producer/musician Wyclef Jean, producer RedOne and producer/musical director Ricky Minor in association with Randy Phillips, president and chief executive officer of AEG Live, to record a contemporary version of the song to benefit the Haitian earthquake relief efforts Monday. Academy Award-winning writer/director Paul Haggis filmed the session to create an accompanying video.

Following its world premiere on NBC, the new version of the song is expected to air on other networks throughout the world.

My link

Have you guys heard anything about them asking spectators to wear white? Possibly to project onto?

I believe that people coming to the Dress Rehearsal were asked to - but I don't know about the actual ceremony.

Well, it's NOT the first time. And the white cowls are either on the seats or as part of the Audience Participation kit. I don't think they will have to ask the audience to wear it. When you head for your seat...unless u r just coming out of a cave in Afghanistan, you just instinctively know that it is to be worn...and that you are going to be part of the entire evening's act. That is now part of the Ceremonies' DNA.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Well, it's NOT the first time. And the white cowls are either on the seats or as part of the Audience Participation kit. I don't think they will have to ask the audience to wear it. When you head for your seat...unless u r just coming out of a cave in Afghanistan, you just instinctively know that it is to be worn...and that you are going to be part of the entire evening's act. That is now part of the Ceremonies' DNA.

You're right Baron, I wore the white cowl that was in the Participation kit on the seat at both the OC/CC of Torino.

Are you confirming that they are a part of this ceremony, or just talking about in general / past ceremonies?

50,000+ are expected to attend next Wednesday's big dress rehearsal...I think it's safe to say we'll find out more about the Ceremonies Wednesday evening and into Thursday and the big day on Friday. 30,000 volunteers get a free ticket and the option to buy an additional $60 ticket for a family member...but there are already complaints that these free tickets volunteers were given are now being auctioned on Craigslist for as high as $300. Some dedicated Ceremonies volunteers are criticizing these volunteers for not "showing their Olympic spirit".

There's also a public dress rehearsal on Monday, so we should hear more then too.

Should we create a thread here for all first-hand accounts and stories, so as to separate potential spoilers for people who want to be 100% surprised?

I think that's a great idea.

I second that.

And Mr. X, don't you take the ceremony and its significance for Canada as a nation a little bit too seriously? I mean, quite a lot was leaked about the Beijing opening ceremony as well, and the ceremony was still breathtaking and a source of Chinese national pride. And although we knew beforehand about the Cycladic head and the DNA helix in Athens, I was still blown away when I watched it live on television.

I understand very well that one doesn't want to give everything away, but as you yourself suggested, after the public dress rehearsals, it will be impossible to keep the whole ceremony secret anyway.

And in terms of the national significance of the Games: As a citizen of the 2006 World Cup host nation, I understand the interest in making the event a success and present one's own country (or even city) in the best possible way. But you (not only you personally, but also other Canadians, especially the inventors of the "Own The Podium" concept) should also relax a little and not become too determined. Lean back and enjoy the show! Overly ambitioned hosts wouldn't come across too well.

Own the Podium is just a name, and was created with an unrealistic goal that developed into a realistic goal. Contrary to popular belief or public knowledge the medal target in Torino was not 25 but closer to 20, it was highly unexpected, especially after a far few medal favourites in men's moguls and aerials, men's SBX and PGS and men's hockey flamed out. The program was designed to change the attitude from personal bests and top 10s and 5s to winning medals. The sports culture in Canada was always about playing the game not about winning and it has produced terrible results because it produces athletes without drive. OTP had to be blunt and ambitious to change the sporting culture and promising big things was the only way to get government and sponsor money.

some info... not to revealing for interesting!

Scheduled security sweep of Olympic venue sparks threat false alarm

(CP) – 2 hours ago

VANCOUVER, B.C. — A scheduled security sweep of a major Vancouver Winter Olympic venue sparked a brief false alarm about a potential threat.

A local radio station reported hundreds of people had been evacuated from B.C. Place stadium, site of the Friday's opening ceremonies, because of unspecified security risks.

But a spokesman for the RCMP-led Olympic Integrated Security Unit says in fact stadium employees were sent home early in order that the planned pre-Games security sweep could be completed on time.

Sgt. Leo Monbourquette says the stadium then will be locked down, as other venues are when the painstaking security sweeps are completed, with access granted only to those with Olympic credentials.

More than 15,000 police, military and private security personnel have the job of protecting the Games from terrorist attacks, with a budget of $900 million.

Copyright © 2010 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

Opening ceremonies secrets leak out

Final torchbearer still subject of great speculation

By BOB MACKIN , QMI Agency

Last Updated: 5th February 2010, 8:52pm

Secrets of the 2010 Winter Olympics’ opening ceremony are slowly emerging with less than a week to go.

The Feb. 12 B.C. Place Stadium event will feature a cauldron on a hydraulic lift in the middle of the air-supported dome’s new false-floor. Various trap-doors have been built for performers to pop up and down. Performers have been outfitted in lumberjack and voyageur costumes and a canoe will appear to fly above the audience. VANOC volunteers were each offered a ticket to the Feb. 10 dress rehearsal and are allowed to buy an additional ticket for $50.

The biggest secret is the identity of the final torchbearer. Speculation has run rampant that it may be hockey hero Wayne Gretzky. Documents from federal government brainstorming sessions in 2006 proposed an aboriginal athlete, similar to Sydney 2000 where aborigine sprinter Cathy Freeman lit the cauldron. The Vancouver opening ceremony producer is Australian David Atkins, who was involved in 2000.

Preparations for the biggest live TV production in Canadian history have not been without challenges.

Trusses for lights and speakers have caused stress on the 27-year-old roof. Crews with contractor Riggit are on-call around the clock in case of a rainstorm to stop water from pooling on the 27-year-old fabric roof. A panel on the fabric roof inverted during a Jan. 14 downpour and flooded into the stadium like a waterfall.

A performer who was portraying a ski jumper crashed during a rehearsal earlier this week, but details are slim because of VANOC’s information blackout about the ceremony.

“The injuries are not life-threatening and the performer is in recovery,” said VANOC communications vice-president Renee Smith-Valade, who declined to offer further details.

WorkSafeBC spokeswoman Donna Freeman said via email: “There was no inspection report issued in this case; no compliance orders were issued. A safety officer did meet with the employer.”

Some stadium workers, however, may not have the Olympic spirit after 380 were given layoff notices this week. The stadium will close April 7 for up to 18 months while a $458 million retractable roof is installed.

To be fair, the logging/softwood lumber is a huge industry in British Columbia and in many other towns in Canada. It is a part of Canada, especially B.C. and for many B.C. towns it's their soul and lifeblood, keeping their towns alive. But since the 1980's, the logging industry has been in decline and when Vancouver hosted the 1986 World's Fair that was a shift from a resource-based economy to a international service-based economy.

I highly doubt the lumberjack segment will be long, it'll probably be a transitional segment into modern Vancouver, B.C., and Canada.

I second that.

And Mr. X, don't you take the ceremony and its significance for Canada as a nation a little bit too seriously? I mean, quite a lot was leaked about the Beijing opening ceremony as well, and the ceremony was still breathtaking and a source of Chinese national pride. And although we knew beforehand about the Cycladic head and the DNA helix in Athens, I was still blown away when I watched it live on television.

I understand very well that one doesn't want to give everything away, but as you yourself suggested, after the public dress rehearsals, it will be impossible to keep the whole ceremony secret anyway.

And in terms of the national significance of the Games: As a citizen of the 2006 World Cup host nation, I understand the interest in making the event a success and present one's own country (or even city) in the best possible way. But you (not only you personally, but also other Canadians, especially the inventors of the "Own The Podium" concept) should also relax a little and not become too determined. Lean back and enjoy the show! Overly ambitioned hosts wouldn't come across too well.

This was brilliantly said! I could not say it better!

lumber jacks and voygeurs......this sounds cool, and i was expecting there to be something to do with the voygeurs......they are an important part of canadian history. like it or not voygeurs/fur trappers opened the western half of the country to exploration.

also i do ever so hope that stompin tom performs the hockey song at the closing ceremonies. alot of you will probably role your eyes at that thought. its campy but it is very canadian. i think it would fit in, similar to the older gentleman singing waltzing matilda at sydney.

how cool would be to have the whole of BC Place singing along to the hockey song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZWxErEbQkY (the hockey song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpPF7KLh1W4 (waltzing matilda)