Ceremonies Discussion

I wonder if the Georgia Viaduct could be use for the ceremonies. For those that are not familiar, the Georgia Viaduct is a short elevated roadway that stops at the edge of Downtown right beside BC Place Stadium. The roadway will be closed 24/7 fur the duration of the Games for security reasons (it's right beside the two stadiums)....could it be used as a platform for launching fireworks or other outdoor special effects?

Georgia-Viaduct.jpg

Georgia-Viaduct-1-photo-Derek-DeLand.jpg

LM9P0419.jpg

And ours won't be CGi either.....

^ they won't be better than Beijing, i think those ceremonies will be hard to beat and only the Summer Games ceremonies with their massive budgets will be capable of beating them.

There's no doubt though that Vancouver's ceremonies will rock the Winter Games world....better than Salt Lake and Torino.

And even then, those fireworks actually happened and were seen by thousands of people...

It was only the shot seen on tv that followed them across the city that was computer generated. They wanted to get that shot but didn't want a helicopter or plane flying too low.

Hopefully, the Olympic anthem will be sung. It was only played in Torino, which was quite shameful. And hopefully it'll be properly sung in GREEK. The Salt Lake performance of the anthem in English was terrible.

^ there's about a 12-foot drop between the last row of seats and the stadium floor at BC Place. If that drawing is accurate, I'm guessing the temporary stadium floor tiered seats have a more gentle angle than the permanent stadium seats.

^ they will be bused back to Whistler Olympic Village. There's no space for them at the Vancouver village. I'd wager they'd get back by midnight at the very latest, assuming the road conditions (weather) are good.

There should be A LOT more athletes at the Vancouver opening considering:

1) unlike Torino where there were something like 4 athletes villages, there are only 2 for Vancouver

2) the ceremonies venue is an indoor venue, athletes won't be worrying much about getting sick in the cold

3) 50% of the athletes will be living footsteps away from the Olympic Stadium, it's not a struggle to get there and back

Like baron said, I think those ''100'' seats are for the athletes, probably after the artistic part.. Because if it is for spectators i think the ceremony scenario will be very reduced which would make it kinda lame D: . Remember that we're talking about a football stadia, not an athletic one, so the pitch space is smaller

There are only like 2,800 athletes, they won't take up all of those seats.

That's what I tried to say. A section or two of those "100" seats will be reserved for the athletes; and the reason they release the whole layout is it's just a practice. If you didn't get section 112, why would it matter to you if section 112 is shown on the map? It shouldn't...and besides maybe the City of Vancouver fire laws might require full disclosure of layout of the hall so that the paying public AND the Fire Department would know the entire layout (and exits) of the stadium? :blink:

Well why would Vanoc give all those seats sections and make a diagram and then post it on their website if those seats weren't meant for ticket-paying spectaors?

In addition to the above, it would be harmful and disingenous to release maps that did not show ALL the sections (regardless of who were assigned there). What if a fire happened and they had incomplete maps? Why aren't the VIP sections and the Press section (non-paying as well) not blocked out either?? :blink:

Edited by baron-pierreIV