Rio De Janeiro Port Area

I was watching on TV that Rio will start a great fefurbshment in Port Area.

Indeed, Rio OCOG and Brazilian NOC building will be transfered to Downtown Rio de Janeiro.

Will this be a good thing, since the games are placed in Barra (35 Km far from there)?

There is a thread about it in Skyscrapercity.com: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=751306

There are some videos as well in this website from the Rio municipality: http://www.palaciodacidade.rio.rj.gov.br/s...teudo/index.asp

The project is very interesting.

Yesterday a urbanist gave an interview to Rio's main newspaper (O Globo) recommending the move of the OV to the port, which is an awful idea. It would cost a lot of public money, while the current OV is going to be privately funded and I doubt that the plan would be compact enough if it was not in Barra where there is space to build competition and training facilities.

I told it here once...

The biggest challenge for Rio is Brazilian bureaucracy...

There are lots of useless laws prohibiting lots of things, requiring lots of documents...

Don't you remember the Marina da Gloria issue for PanAms 2007???

I'm not afraid about security, funding, organizational... But bureaucracy.

Don't you remember the Marina da Gloria issue for PanAms 2007???

I remember!

For me, IPHAN was right to halt the constructions. Unfortunally, this is a necessary bureocracy...

Imagine if some crazy mayor decide to demolish the Lapa Arches to build something else! I know... It's an absurd example... :P

It's good to know the constructions in the port area have begun anyway!

I remember!

For me, IPHAN was right to halt the constructions. Unfortunally, this is a necessary bureocracy...

Imagine if some crazy mayor decide to demolish the Lapa Arches to build something else! I know... It's an absurd example... :P

It's good to know the constructions in the port area have begun anyway!

But now there is an ugly set of columns half done in there. They should have acted during the project phase, which in light of the PanAm preparations were enough time.

But now there is an ugly set of columns half done in there. They should have acted during the project phase, which in light of the PanAm preparations were enough time.

I agree, but I think the PanAm committee simply forgot to ask for the necessary permitions, since its a historic site.

It's impossible for the IPHAN to monitor all the plans in the city... They act when they see there's something wrong...

I think COB have learned the lesson anyway! Hopefully it won't happen again!

I don't see why Marina da Glória is protected... I think nobody can build huge buildings there, but Marina da Glória deserves better infra-structure

It's not protected. It's a official historical patrimony of Rio, so if you want to build something there, special permitions are required.

I agree Marina da Glória deserves better infra-structure, but the commitee will need to get the permitons first, otherwise the constructions could be stopped again...

Lula will be gone though next year - let's hope the next President has the same dedication to 2016 as Lula did - I'm sure he/she will since this is a major national event but you never know when politicians get involved with these matters!!!

Archived