Sign in to follow this  
Augie4040

Doha Or Dubai?

A lot has been said about Dubai basically becoming the defacto culture, travel, and financial capital of the Middle East.

However of the 2 Cities only Doha has held a ASIAN SUMMER GAMES and actually bid for an Olympics, so Doha has the edge on Sports Legacy.

I would put my money on DUBAI, they have God-like amounts of money and I've seen drawings of the sports complex they plan to build which, from the look of it, would hands down be the most compact games ever.

Heat is an obvious issue in both Cities, but proper scheduling I dont think this would be a bid killer for future middle eastern games.

Doha actually scored higher that eventual Games Winner RIO, but the dates DOHA chose were unworkable.

Anyone know the exact timeframe the IOC mandates that games be held in? I dont mean "LATE JUNE" I mean is it actually like JUNE 20th or something?

a MAY games or an early OCTOBER games would be doable if allowed. The Sydney games encroached into October and were very successful. Just run the marathon in the early morning, and have cold water misting arches every 1/2 kilometer.

The IOC are political animals, and Im sure they wouldnt set policies that technically BAN the middle east from ever hosting. Would there be a problem with a May 16-June 2 Games? or an Sept 30-Oct 12?

Weigh the PROS and CONS.

DUBAI or DOHA???

Neither. Both don't need the games neither do they deserve them. They are too obcessed with building just to be bigger and better.

• Like 1

I'd agree...neither. Both are minnows in the Olympic movement, have only been part of it since Los Angeles 1984, and between them, they only have 3 Olympic medals. A gold for UAE and two bronze for Qatar.

Of all the countries in the Middle East, I'd say Turkey is the most deserving. Part of the movement since 1908, total haul of 80+ Olympic medals, and Istanbul's relentless pursuit of the Games.

But if forced to pick between these two...Doha.

Of all the countries in the Middle East, I'd say Turkey is the most deserving. Part of the movement since 1908, total haul of 80+ Olympic medals, and Istanbul's relentless pursuit of the Games.

Would have to agree on that note. I would tend to believe that the IOC would be much more receptive to an Istanbul Games vs. a Doha or a Dubai one. The IOC has at least entertained a couple of Istanbul bids, whereas they've told Doha flat out 'no'. Doha's proposed dates used against them were just a smokescreen.

Anyone know the exact timeframe the IOC mandates that games be held in? I dont mean "LATE JUNE" I mean is it actually like JUNE 20th or something?

Based on precedents, the latest the games have ever been was in 1956 when they went to the Southern Hemisphere for the first time...Melbourne 1956 - November 22 to December 8...but there were major complaints with those dates.

Tokyo and Mexico hosted in October.

But nearly every compacted* Summer Olympics has been hosted in the July-September time frame.

*Some early Games spanned several weeks or months. Beginning with Paris in 1924, they were compacted to a couple of weeks.

Neither. Both don't need the games neither do they deserve them. They are too obcessed with building just to be bigger and better.

Agree with that entirely. If a Middle Eastern Olympics is to occur, the only legitimate hosts should be Istanbul or an Egyptian city.

Massive buildings, massive cities, but not massive populations - would be a very odd games I think. Def compact though.

Agreed. Small populations, a lack of "home" support, the question of what on earth these venues will be after the games are over. I don't like the idea of either hosting if I'm honest.

Istanbul I'd go with most certainly, though I can't foresee a race in the future, especially if the world's biggest and greatest cities continue bidding, where I'd pick Istanbul over the other bids, deserving though they may be.

Can you imagine audience in athletic games in Doha or Dubai?

A few tourist and goverment paid audience filling all the empty seats in stadium <_<

Would there be any issues for women competing in these cities. I mean, beach volleyball is not for the burka set.

Neither one. I totally agree with the above arguments. There isn't sufficient sporting tradition in either country. I don't think either Games would have a very fun atmosphere. I think you'd see a lot of empty stadiums as well. Finally, adjusting the dates so drastically would wreak havoc on the international federations. I think the IOC would prefer to use the "weather" excuse than the "lack of sporting tradition/culturally awkward" excuse.

Neither one. I totally agree with the above arguments. There isn't sufficient sporting tradition in either country. I don't think either Games would have a very fun atmosphere. I think you'd see a lot of empty stadiums as well. Finally, adjusting the dates so drastically would wreak havoc on the international federations. I think the IOC would prefer to use the "weather" excuse than the "lack of sporting tradition/culturally awkward" excuse.

Or the "weather" issue is legitimate. The kinder months for the Emirates region JUST doesn't fit into the already established sporting and TV calenders which work well for 65% of the market. I mean they have their PanArab Games anyway; and afterwards, what? You'll have 22 white elephant structures in those tiny city-states. They should just go for indoor events like Table Tennis, Chess, ballroom dancing :lol: or even a World's Fair...which like the Seville'92 worked very well at night!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Would there be any issues for women competing in these cities. I mean, beach volleyball is not for the burka set.

well, not just beach volleyball, but synchornized swimming? And the artistic gymnastics?

IOC president Jacques Rogge urges Middle East to bid for Olympics in the future

MUSCAT, Oman (AP) - International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge said Thursday he would like to see another Middle Eastern bid for the games.

"There is an interest in certain Middle Eastern countries for the games and we would welcome their bids," said Rogge, while observing the Asian Beach Games on the shores of the Arabian Sea in Oman.

His comments came a week after FIFA awarded the 2022 World Cup to the tiny Gulf nation of Qatar, which made an unsuccessful bid for the 2016 Olympics.

Qatar's surprise win over heavyweight rivals, including the United States, was seen as evidence of the growing interest to blaze new ground with the world's biggest sporting events.

The 2016 Olympics in Rio will mark the first time the event is held in South America. This year's World Cup in South Africa was its debut on the continent.

Rogge did not name a specific Mideast city as a possible Olympic candidate, but said there are several sites in the region capable of "good and well organized" bids.

Dubai is among the cities considering a possible run at the games in 2020.

In South Africa this week, Rogge said a new region would be "favored" in a close race to host the games. The Olympics have never been awarded to an African city.

The Gulf, in particular, is no stranger to major sporting events, including pro tennis, golf and Formula One events. Qatar will host the Asian Cup soccer tournament next month.

From The Associated Press, December 9, 2010 - 11:27 AM

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/markets/market_news/article.jsp?content=D9K0G70G0

Is this more typical diplomatic lip-service from Jack, or a knee-jerk reaction to Qatar's 2022 win, or both. :rolleyes:

If it was Doha or Dubai, I'd go for Doha.

On the other hand, I think the IOC should stop encouraging these kind of cities to bid for the Olympics only because of the new frontier thing. And I'm not saying this in a pro-Madrid way or whatever.

My point is that if bigger cities and richer countries realize the IOC won't be interested in them, then being beaten again and again by weaker bids (we've seen the IOC encouraging South Africa and Qatar, not the USA or France), they may decide not bid anymore, which would mean the IOC would be forced to choose bids from cities like Durban, Doha, Delhi, etc... And once all this (few) countries have hosted, as there will be no more bids from the USA or Europe, the Olympic Movement could be close to its end: no hosts, no Games.

If it was Doha or Dubai, I'd go for Doha.

On the other hand, I think the IOC should stop encouraging these kind of cities to bid for the Olympics only because of the new frontier thing. And I'm not saying this in a pro-Madrid way or whatever.

My point is that if bigger cities and richer countries realize the IOC won't be interested in them, then being beaten again and again by weaker bids (we've seen the IOC encouraging South Africa and Qatar, not the USA or France), they may decide not bid anymore, which would mean the IOC would be forced to choose bids from cities like Durban, Doha, Delhi, etc... And once all this (few) countries have hosted, as there will be no more bids from the USA or Europe, the Olympic Movement could be close to its end: no hosts, no Games.

Athan, if 2020 goes to Durban (the way 2022 is headed for Qatar), then there will be NO MORE 'virgin' regions for this kind of hosting. All the boxes would've been ticked off, so the Olympics AND the World Cup may return to its regular "old guard' (i.e., Europe and No. America) rotation. And remember, the WOGs are always a consolation prize reserved for the northern nations that have been shunned in a few bids. So the way I see the next few BIG Ones as:

2018 - WOGs - Asia (Korea)

WC - Russia

2020 - SOGs - Africa (Durban)

2022 - WOGs - (hopefully, USA)

WC - Qatar (Middle East/Asia)

2024 - SOGs - returns to Europe

2026 - WOGa - returns to Europe

WC - maybe the USA

2028 - SOGs - maybe Asia (Tokyo)

That way everybody's happy.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I hope, but I have my doubts. Africa, Middle East, Southeast Asia, Eastern Europe or even Central American countries can say the Games haven't come to their regions yet :unsure:

I hope, but I have my doubts. Africa, Middle East, Southeast Asia, Eastern Europe or even Central American countries can say the Games haven't come to their regions yet :unsure:

yeah...but those are really sub-regions.

Dubai would be better, hands down!!! It just looks like an Olympic City, and has so many cool towers/attractions, and is much more regionally important!!!

It's officially between July 15th and August 31st for commercial and sports calendar reasons. However, IOC has stretched it to late September with Sydney. Even Seoul hosted in the same dates as Sydney not so long ago but that was another era with only one other candidate bidding against them, Nagoya, proposing dates in October. Tokyo and Mexico Games were like prehistoric events in terms of commercial and other interests.

So late September would be as far as IOC could go with the dates. Personally I would love to see SOG organized in September or even in October but maybe that's just me. There are potential hosts that can't organize the Games in July-August, whether it be because of heat (Middle East, India) or cold (Australia, Cape Town, Buenos Aires).

It's officially between July 15th and August 31st for commercial and sports calendar reasons. However, IOC has stretched it to late September with Sydney. Even Seoul hosted in the same dates as Sydney not so long ago but that was another era with only one other candidate bidding against them, Nagoya, proposing dates in October. Tokyo and Mexico Games were like prehistoric events in terms of commercial and other interests.

So late September would be as far as IOC could go with the dates. Personally I would love to see SOG organized in September or even in October but maybe that's just me. There are potential hosts that can't organize the Games in July-August, whether it be because of heat (Middle East, India) or cold (Australia, Cape Town, Buenos Aires).

Changing the Summer Olympics to October would greatly alter Olympic basketball.

Yeah, all the sports have their leagues and tournaments starting in late-September or October.

Also, people will be on holidays in July/August so there would be less people in the host city during the Games, which is very nice for visitors and athletes.

When I originally started this thread I put "money" on Dubai to be the first middle east games. My opinion has drastically changed since then.

Way back when I wrote this thread topic, doha had only hosted The Asian Games...now Qatar has won the 2022 World Cup.

This changes everything. You see Qatar and the UAE have similarly tiny populations and even less professional level athletes, with 3 Summer medals total between the two nations.

Dubai may be precieved to be the financial and cultural center, but the UAE didnt raise its hand enough and now Qatar is holding the bulk of Middle East Sporting legacy.

Qatar may be smaller, and less flashy than UAE(Dubai), but its already done the Asian games and won the World Cup hosting rights.

Imagine if you will the 2025 IOC Session in Auckland, the IOC is hearing bids for the 2032 Games. The IOC is allowing concessions on aSept/ Oct Game timeline. Amongst the other bids from Europe and North America, the IOC is looking favorably on new horizon bids. The only 2 Middle East bids to make it to the candidate phase are Doha and Dubai. I honestly can't see the Dubai(whose never hosted the Asian Games or World Cup) to show up bidding alongside experienced Qatar, and beat Doha. I just dont see it happening. As long as Doha doesn't completley "**** the bed" in 2022, it basically becomes the ONLY choice for the 1st Mid East Olympics.

Dubai passed up way to many chances, and stood by snickering at Qatar's quixotic bids, but now the music has stopped and Dubai doesn't have a chair. As far a sporting legacies go, Qatar may have a lot of work to do, but they are so far ahead of Dubai, which is basically a blank resume, despite its glitzy financial situation.

Thoughts?

• Like 1