Doha Or Dubai?

Augie4040

^^^ Not only that Doha hosted the Asian Games and Qatar will be hosting the FIFA World Cup. Another negative aspect for Dubai is that the most important international sports event they have been awarded is the 2013 FINA World Championships, and they had to refuse to host it. They'll be hosting the short course swimming World Championships next week, though.

If I were an IOC member and the last contenders were Doha and Dubai, I'd go for Doha. However, things can change until 2025.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is this fascination with those 2 hell-holes? I mean so 14 nutzos chose Qatar to host something as important as a World Cup...why the continued interest? Is it like watching an accident by the roadside...which I think 2022 will turn out to be. If Delhi 2010 was a big joke, Qatar 2022 will be the BIGGEST farce of the 1st half of the 21st century.

Also, people will be on holidays in July/August so there would be less people in the host city during the Games, which is very nice for visitors and athletes.

This applies only to Europe and some other regions in the northern hemisphere. Besides, July/August is also the peak tourist season in these places, so I disagree about there being more space especially in accomodation during those months. In southern hemisphere it's mid-winter then.

What is this fascination with those 2 hell-holes? I mean so 14 nutzos chose Qatar to host something as important as a World Cup...why the continued interest? Is it like watching an accident by the roadside...which I think 2022 will turn out to be. If Delhi 2010 was a big joke, Qatar 2022 will be the BIGGEST farce of the 1st half of the 21st century.

Exactly.

And not only that, but when the IOC is finally ready to make the Muslim plunge, I still believe that they'd do it with the most moderate, cosmopolitan & snazziest of all the Muslim cities; Istanbul. Not to mention Turkey's growing economy.

This applies only to Europe and some other regions in the northern hemisphere. Besides, July/August is also the peak tourist season in these places, so I disagree about there being more space especially in accomodation during those months. In southern hemisphere it's mid-winter then.

Well, yes, it wouldn't apply to Doha (as its population is of less than a million) either.

Forget Doha, Dubai, Istanbul, Cairo, Dasmascus, Riyadh, Manama...and all those hot as buggery, prone to sheikdom despotism, petrodollar sponsored virtual slave labour-based feudal fiefdoms etc etc. If anything has been shown in the decision by MaFIFA to award the 2022 WC to Qatar you need to have one very astute and very very powerful person in your corner at the highest echelons of the sporting body (i.e. MaFIFA and the IOC) to get your bid across the line. And when it came to Bin Hammam and his no doubt co-conspirators Chung Moon-Joon, possibly Michael Platini and perhaps even Septic Blather himself the Qatari bid showed its not what you know or even how much you are willing to spend on what you know, but who you know and how to make sure they have their palms greases, their egos massaged or their idiotic fantasies realised. These power brokers did just that; they broke the power of what should have been a sane and simple process into one which saw 14 votes go to a country that has never qualified for the WC, has little demonstrable capacity to hold such an event and has a social and political environment which are the antithesis of almost everything concomitant with the WC.

Jacques is peddling the barrow big time and making sure that the rich sheiks throw some dosh towards the coffers of the IOC, whilst all and sundry mouth platitudes in favour of a middle eastern bid. But there is no one in a position of significance at the IOC who will provide the initial powerful focal point for their bid. There is no Samaranch Jnr, there is no Havelange, no Dick Pound, no Mario Pescante, no Thomas Bach, no Danny Jordaan in the emirati and Arabic back pocket in the Lausanne bunker. Without a strident and politically powerful protagonist within the deepest corridors of the IOC's corridors of power a Middle East bid is as dead as the Dead Sea.

Away from the hateful post of "eusebius65",

As a Qatari, I would obviously pick Doha, not just for the fact that I live here, but also due to the fact that 70% of the needed venues were already ready during the 2016 bid + the long list of sport events held in Qatar, not to mention winning the 2022 FIFA World Cup hosting rights, Qatar is also bidding for the 2015 IHF World Handball Championship. On the other hand Dubai backed out of FINA !!! Not a very good move.

Heat didn't get in the way of Qatar 2022 FIFA World Cup bid, so this time Doha 2020 shouldn't worry so much.

Some basic solutions.

Indoor events are safe from the heat.

Outdoor events in "stadium" type of venues such as football, hockey, tennis etc, would have cooling & Shading.

Other outdoor events such as marathon etc would simply need shading on and around the venues in addition to cooling misters + holding some events at night.

1. so this time Doha 2020 shouldn't worry so much.

2. holding some events at night.

Congratulations on winning 2022. Your shiekdom was able to snooker 13 fools (less its own native son).

1. Oh, so the experts are wrong, and weather patterns will change for the better in the future? WONDERFUL!!

2. Uhmmm, marathon at night? Networks wouldn't like that. What'll the background show? Just darkness?

Good luck in fooling 60+ voters in 3 years.

Congratulations on winning 2022. Your shiekdom was able to snooker 13 fools (less its own native son).

1. Oh, so the experts are wrong, and weather patterns will change for the better in the future? WONDERFUL!!

2. Uhmmm, marathon at night? Networks wouldn't like that. What'll the background show? Just darkness?

Good luck in fooling 60+ voters in 3 years.

I wonder why you picked the night one for marathon, I mentioned that there are several solutions to suit the venues.

Marathon would need shading and coolers(misters). I mean seriously have some common sense will you :)

why should he? as a supporter of Doha hosting an Olympic Games your clearly lacking it

Thanks, Triffle. It's not even that. I think Qatar Son is a little full of himself at the moment...and that's understandable.

But QatarSon, if you knew your Olympics criteria, you will realize:

1. The marathon is probably the showpiece of an Olympic Athletics program, therefore it HAS TO BE given the most photogenic setting for the networks to pay top $$. Misters and all that cooling stuff have already been tried in Barcelona and Atlanta...nothing new... or not unless you will have "guest workers" running alongside the marathoners with umbrellas and electric fans in hand. That could work... :rolleyes:

2. Key events like swimming, basketball finals will be PLAYED in times favorable to the primetime Eastern US time zone...so the play times in Doha are secondary; and those Games are f*cked if those (outdoor) times happen at the height of your day.

But #3, do you really think the IOC will be a FIFA copycat and award its plum to a city-state EVEN BEFORE you (Doha) have proven yourselves with your 2022 test?? If you think so, then you're really quite naive.

why should he? as a supporter of Doha hosting an Olympic Games your clearly lacking it

You have to remember Triffle that in Qatar they can hire someone from Bangladesh or the Phillipines at a pittance to have their common sense for them. So long as they have their Hummers, their egregiously over the top Meccas to unsustainable tourist industries and the money to fly into any western capital to get on the piss because their own societal norms would mean they would be thrown in jail, then common sense is not part of their agenda.

hot-argentain-fan.jpg

No.1 in the 'What You Wont Be Seeing in Qatar 2022' Pictorial Essay

By the way, just in case our Qatari brethren get a little miffed at how we perceive their bid hopes for future SOG glory, perhaps we should look at Qatar's glorious Olympic history:

Participated in 7 SOGs

No OWGs

2 bronze medals in total (1 to a naturalised Qatari runner from Somali, 1 to a naturalised Qatari weight lifter from Bulgaria)

Qatari Female Representation at the Beijing 2008 SOGs: Nil

Now of course this grand tradition deserves recognition from the viziers of Lausanne does it not? Or are we going to see the IOC pander to those South Africans with their measly 20 gold medals from SOG participation or heaven forbid the Italians with 190 gold? It would be such a shame to think that the IOC limits itself to countries that actually have contributed something to Olympic sport when it comes to considering a Qatari bid.

I wont even bother replying to you, eusebius65.

Oh please don't be so humble about Qatar's proud Olympic heritage. Shout it from the roof tops loud and proud, so it reverberates in the corridors of IOC HQ Lausanne. After all if a Football Association that has been caught violating player registries by FIFA, is ranked 77th in the world (just behind that football powerhouse the Central African Republic) and has never qualified for a WC on merit then your NOC can certainly dream the dream of midnight marathons and gay Olympians strutting their stuff in Doha

Oh please don't be so humble about Qatar's proud Olympic heritage. Shout it from the roof tops loud and proud, so it reverberates in the corridors of IOC HQ Lausanne. After all if a Football Association that has been caught violating player registries by FIFA, is ranked 77th in the world (just behind that football powerhouse the Central African Republic) and has never qualified for a WC on merit then your NOC can certainly dream the dream of midnight marathons and gay Olympians strutting their stuff in Doha

Qatar never even qualified to the world cup and look at us, we are hosting it in 2022, Qatar is looking into hosting the event not the actual performance in it. <_<

Of course it doesn't matter because we know it's one rule for Qatar, another rule for the rest.

Home crowds normally matter, home performance normally matters. South Africa had a good go at getting out of their group in their world cup. Qatar, with their bought players, are ranked 109th in the world and will be lucky not to be the worst team in their own tournament. But of course, why should that matter?

Where's MontBlanc these days anyway?

I think we should stop bashing Qatar. They made the grade (by whatever means..but as I said, I too was ALMOST sold by their presentation); let's give them a chance.

And Qatar Son might be full of himself sometimes, understandably, but I think he should be given a little respect. I am frank with him and have tried NOT to disrespect him.

I think we should stop bashing Qatar. They made the grade (by whatever means..but as I said, I too was ALMOST sold by their presentation); let's give them a chance.

And Qatar Son might be full of himself sometimes, understandably, but I think he should be given a little respect. I am frank with him and have tried NOT to disrespect him.

People should respect each other, You have no idea what I have been through in Skyscrapercity.com during the bidding process for 2022 WC :( I wonder how i was able to hold on to my self, In the end i thank god that all that time didnt go to waste and we are HOSTING THE 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP :lol: !!!

Other than that I respect everyones point of view, but there is a difference between point of view and hate speech...

Baron's on SSC, as am I. I know for a fact you are no longer on there, however (despite that, actually, your posts were among the best of all the Qatari members). There were a lot of idiots on that forum during the bidding process, and I had to put up with them as well. We can draw a line under that now I think. :)

Sure, I'm willing to give Qatar a chance, but the circumstances in which both Russia and Qatar were elected, and the talk of the world cup now being in February, in other countries, without cooling technology etc are bizarre beyond belief. And this only one week after the vote!

Also, just as no other country could get away with hosting a world cup in one city and its satellite towns, so no other country could claim historical performance in an event they're wishing to host doesn't matter.

As I said, it's hard not to conclude that Qatar tries to play by a different set of rules to everyone else. FIFA may have allowed this (for whatever reasons). However, as we know, the IOC were less willing to bend to Doha's wishes, which is why they weren't shortlisted last time.

People should respect each other, You have no idea what I have been through in Skyscrapercity.com during the bidding process for 2022 WC :( I wonder how i was able to hold on to my self,

I wondered about that. Glad to hear you escaped without scars.

Congrats, you should be additionally proud of yourself for grace under pressure.

Baron's on SSC, as am I. I know for a fact you are no longer on there, however (despite that, actually, your posts were among the best of all the Qatari posters).

And SSC is the poorer for it.

Just as no other country could get away with hosting a world cup in one city and its satellite towns, so no other country could claim historical performance in an event their wishing to host doesn't matter.

Maybe the IOC will do a turn-around and decree that its Summer Games must be hosted in at least a dozen cities thereby immediately undercutting a very "hot," dangerous bidder for 2020 and beyond. :lol:

Qatar never even qualified to the world cup and look at us, we are hosting it in 2022, Qatar is looking into hosting the event not the actual performance in it. <_<

Which is indicative of an attitude that is actually contra guiding principles behind every host city and it's raison d'être for an Olympic bid as recited again and again by both Jacques and his predecessor the Wily Old Falangist. The Olympics are at least nominally built around the athletes best interests and a home country that actually wants to do well at the games. It's well and good to build fantastical and opulent facilities but what dies it signify if the host nation has no ability to actually contribute beyond funding them. And I find it ridiculous that the Qatari NOC can go on about the increasing representation of women at the Olympics when they can't even send a single female Qatari athlete to Beijing.

If this was another megarich state with a total population smaller than Brisbane (perhaps such as Brunei, Lichtenstein or Luxembourg) there would be justifiable derision of their potential bids purely on the basis of their Olympic history. Throw in the attitude that the Qatari government has towards it's guest workers contrasted with their minority of native citizens as well as the anti-gay legislation in place (which would mean that the likes of Mark Mitcham and Greg Louganis would be thrown into jail for their personal sexual activities if committed and caught in Qatar), and the paucity of an Olympic heritage ( unlike the last 20 odd Olympic hosts) and the IOC has no right to contravene it's own charter and it's own much spruiked principles of history, honour and athlete's rights.

And until one or a million Qatari contributors to this forum can contextualise and demonstrate that concerns that many people hold about their country's representations to the likes of MaFIFA or the IOC and their country's open and honest relationship with Israel, gays, women and a free and fair press then a Qatari bid would be no better than Beijing's. If you want the Olympics to actually stand up for what are rights and equalities we all should share it's tantamount to blatant hypocrisy to turn around and support bids from the likes of Doha (or for that matter Alexandria, Tehran or even Haifa if they ever eventuated).

PS QatarSon I respect your right to post here and I respect you as an individual. I do not respect however the manner in which your nation's leaders have rorted world football, as well as the manner in which individuals post here as nationalistic cheerleaders for their respective bids. If you consider totally accurate and demonstrably relevant facts about Qatar's insignificant Olympic history somehow a personal sleight then you have no ability to differentiate between ad factum or ad hominem debate.

If you think highlighting your countries iniquitous attitudes to women and gays, or the absence of Olympic glory in Qatar's history is hate speech then get over yourself.

And if you want further evidence of how Qatar's NOC views women in sport take a look at this link from their NOC homepage:

Qatar Sport Women's Committee

Not only was the article produced in before the 2008 Beijing games (hence showing the institutional apathy towards promoting Qatari female Olympians notice how the story refers to:

At the Games of the XXVIII Olympiad in Athens in 2004, women competed in 26 sports (out of 28) and 135 events, or 45% of the total number of events. Women represented 40.7% of the total number of athletes competing, a record number.

And yet this same NOC can't find one single female athlete to send to Beijing? :blink: Hmmmm...looks like equal rights for women is best done by non-Qataris.

Then take a look at the list of sports that were being developed for Qatari women in 2007/2008 (unless the whole scheme went dead since then perhaps the Qatari NOC didn't have the results to report or the athletes to support after this time). Basketball, Handball, Table Tennis, Swimming all feature. What about field hockey? Gymnastics? Athletics? Rowing? Softball?

Is it a lack of resources? Is it a lack of a competitive female population? Is it because of modesty concerns? Who would know? However considering that in 2004 Greece was able to field female athletes in all sports, or that in 2016 there will be a Brazilian women's rugby team in Rio, can the Qatari NOC deliver anything similar? If not why not? And if not (and in light of their Olympic history) then considering this is not an equitable distribution of access to sport on gender basis then the Qatari NOC are effectively breaking the IOC's own Charter which states:

"Any form of discrimination with regard to a country or person on grounds of race, religion, politics, gender or otherwise is incompatible with belonging to the Olympic Movement."

If we were talking about Jews, Muslims, Gays, Blacks, Sikhs, Mormons, Kurds or any other religious, sexual or racial grouping who have been effectively held back or kept out of mainstream Olympic competition (as Qatari women have historically been) and this history was associated with a Chicago, Toronto, Madrid, Paris or whatever western bid then there would be howls of protest from anyone with a (quite justifiable) degree of integrity or a commitment to the ideals that the IOC supposedly focuses on. However some people here would rather go oooh and ahhh over pretty renders and forget that an Olympic bid should be more than just a grab for jingoistic fame and fortune. It should be about individual rights no matter your gender, race, creed, religion, wealth or political view.

One last point for you sophists out there defending the Qataris...in 2000 the IOC banned Afghanistan from participating in the Sydney SOGs partly due to the Taliban's attitude to women in sport. Considering Qatar's record is barely better concerning the Olympics (from 56 women in Doha 2006 to none in Beijing 2008) why is the IOC so lenient to their NOC?

Qatar already sent women athletes to the Youth Olympic Games in Singapore, Qatari Women in sports is still a young movement, considering that School Olympic Day program launched with conjunction of the 2016 Olympic Bid is actually still practiced. Aspire Sport Academy which was started in 2005 is also working steps to have good athletes in all sport disciplines.

The formation of many women teams in recent time shows interest in it. We are soon to form a womens football league in Qatar.

There is no sort of discrimination in Qatar against women, considering that the Bid Ambassador for the 2016 Olympic bid was a Qatar women, Nada.

This is not Saudi Arabia, Iran or Afganistan ! Get over your self !

Jews ? What about them ? Its a religion like any other one. We have Jews in Qatar its normal ! Israelis ? we had there athletes take part in tournaments already so thats out of the question (not to mention their flag raised) , there is no form of discrimination I wonder where you get such ideas.

Archived