Cbc Message Boards

Faster

I am not sure how many of my fellow Canadians on here read the CBC comments after any Olympic story.

I have been keeping track of it for the longest time and the comments are decided negative about the Olympics and fall into the general categories that the games will provide no benefit, riddle BC with debt for decades to come and that the Olympics are for 'elite fat cat rich people'. Anytime some ordinary bloke tries to say they got tickets and are happy about the games they got shot down as rich elitist.

Thoughts? Do any of you post?

I have posted on CBC. You have to keep in mind that those boards are moderated and they can pick which comments people see. In addition, I find that usually only people against something will post their comments. CTV tends to be more realistic.

It just bugs me that they posts are so uneducated. I have been accused of being a VANOC member when I say things like, 'there can't be generations of debt when debt isn't paying the bills'.

Its just a strange feeling being in the host country, others can probably attest to this, but I want our Olympics to be remembered well, be well received and supported. This is Vancouver and Canada's chance to show of ourselves to the world and the 'don't screw it up' mentality comes into play. I don't want the major stories in France and Germany and Britain to be thousands of protesters disrupted the games, poor attendance, lack of public support etc. I want it to be like Calgary, a great games, remembered fondly.

I have been seeing a lot of Olympic merchandise around and everyone I talk to is excited and expectant of the games. I get questions about them almost every day but they aren't accurate samples. So who knows. Hopefully once the flame comes to Victoria all will be forgotten and Canada and Canadians can get with the program, support the Games and our athletes and be a proud nation.

I wouldn't be to worried or shocked about it. For example before the last election local elections in England the comments on the BBC web sites were like 70% in favor of the British National Party. They ended up winning like 12 races out of the thousands that were being contested. A small group shouting really loud will get noticed.

Judging by the sales of merchandise and the like, I don't think those people represent the majority. Yeah, we all worry about cost over runs, but even without the Olympics, the money wouldn't be going to drug addicts. People bitch on the internet because they can. And protesters protest because they try to embarrass the politicians. But in the end, I think the country will rally around the Games. I just think VANOC is being too timid. This is a time to be bold.

Judging by the sales of merchandise and the like, I don't think those people represent the majority. Yeah, we all worry about cost over runs, but even without the Olympics, the money wouldn't be going to drug addicts. People bitch on the internet because they can. And protesters protest because they try to embarrass the politicians. But in the end, I think the country will rally around the Games. I just think VANOC is being too timid. This is a time to be bold.

Then in a way the protesters have won.

Yea, I've been trying to find the red mittens, well.... 4 Bays and no luck.

I tend to agree. VANOC is a bit stupid with their public engagement methods. They had open public events that got over run by protesters and then had private closed events that didn't include the public. So what does the public get? A bit disenchanted because punks in bandanas and black hoodies are shout obscenities at singing children and VANOC's buddies and sponsors are getting first class treatment. They could have done better to find a happy medium.

I wonder if CBC is allowing more negative comments about the Olympics because they are not the broadcaster and they have a bone to pick with CTV - after all they out bid them for both the Olympics and the Hockey theme.

Also of note is the CBC plaza in downtown Vancouver. It is currently undergoing extensive renovations, and while it will be a major improvement, I don't know if they will be finished before February. The reason I bring this is because of the location of the CBC Vancouver studio...it is steps from GM Place and BC Place, directly across from the Queen Elizabeth Theatre (where the Aboriginal pavilion is going) and adjacent to Hamilton Street and the Library, which will be a Live City event site. But having it all fenced off and unfinished just won't be an attractive site.

From what I've heard, CBC is actually kinda happy about losing the rights the way they did, they out-maneuvered CTV to the World Cup and since CTV has overpayed so badly, they might be a little gun shy next time. The difference in bids was something like 60 million.

At first i was dissapointed that CBC didn't get the rights, but from what i've seen so far the CTV/Rogers cover seems quite promising and the scale of it would be something the CBC wouldn't be able to do as it's quite cash strapped right now.

The World Cup deal certainly did work out for CBC, i'm looking forward to that.

As for the CBC online comments, they don't reflect the average Canadian nor average Vancouver/British Columbian. I have no idea where they come from but they are a mass of uneducated, ignorant, and paranoid posters. I tend to think that many of them are protesters or are on the left side of the political spectrum and will simply relate anything to the Games and put a negative spin to it.

CBC can't afford the rights when the Games are in Canada: simply too expensive.

I've replied a few times on the CBC site. I think it's important to remember that many people in BC--much as I love it here and don't want to live anywhere else in the world--are negative snarkmeisters. It doesn't take much to set 'em off; our purile media (excepting most of the CBC) only makes it worse.

Besides, the internet facilitates low-life bottom feeders annoying the rest of us. Which we see here sometimes too....

;)