• New York City
    • Los Angeles
    • Chicago
    • San Francisco
    • Another option (specify)

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wait a minute guys, the Michael Reese site is not going anywhere, especially in a depressed real estate market right now. Although the city said that development will continue no matter what the outcome in Denmark, the Games would surely speed up development. But right now without a deadline, I wouldn't expect the site to be developed until in about 10 years or so, especially a planned community this big on the lakefront. Plus the fact that the South Loop has about 2,000 condo units in the inventory waiting to be sold, building more units wouldn't be logical at this time. But if the site were to be developed before a Chicago bid, they can propose to build an OV and perhaps another Olympic cluster (maybe permanent stadium) on the other side of the South Loop by the Chicago River. This riverfront site is completely empty and is also waiting to be developed. There are no current plans on this site directy south of the downtown core which extends to Chinatown along the south Chicago River because it's to big for just one developer. It wouldn't be lakefront sexy but it's a riverfront site with the same skyline background. Commute times from this site to McCormick Place would be about 6 minutes by car and 15 minutes by walk.

Nah. Same situation as the land for the NYC OV. The real estate is too precious. WIth mortages due on that land, it's NOT going to sit for another fickle decision by a bunch of deceitful nabobs every 4 years. Whoever holds title to that land will want to turn a profit once the economy turns rhw corner.

There also seems to be a strong argument for 2028 or maybe 2024 at the earliest. I certainly agree with these opinions.

At, 10, 10, and 11 for 2020, 2024, or 2028, that's a three way split, statistically. Late last night it was at 10, 10, 10. So out of 33 votes (as I write this), there is a consensus that he U.S should bid again in the 2020's, but as for what year, it's a tie.

USA in 2020 bc Paris 2024 would be a very strong bid to beat.

No. After 2 in a row, you rest. A 3rd consecutive (which might work for PyongChang since there are FAR LESS Winter candidates) bid, especially after poor showings in the first 2, looks too desperate.

You rest. Then let them look for you in the 3rd round ("Where are the Yanks? Y aren't they here? And of course they can answer those questions themselves); and then come back again.

No. After 2 in a row, you rest. A 3rd consecutive (which might work for PyongChang since there are FAR LESS Winter candidates) bid, especially after poor showings in the first 2, looks too desperate.

You rest. Then let them look for you in the 3rd round ("Where are the Yanks? Y aren't they here? And of course they can answer those questions themselves); and then come back again.

I totally agree. Three bids in a row would seem way too desperate. It would also suggest that the USOC hasn't learned anything from the last two results.

The other big issue for the U.S. is an African bid. We cannot get sucked into another bid contest with a "new frontier" candidate. It's a losing proposition. I almost wonder if the rule of thumb should be "no more American bids until Africa has won." If Africa gets 2020 -- great, jump into 2024. If Africa doesn't win until 2024 -- wait til 2028.

I definitely think that the Winter Games in 2022 would be a big mistake. I know Denver and Reno/Tahoe are hot to trot, but the priority must be a Summer Games.

That's assuming they even bid and that Europe doesn't get 2020. Two fairly big assumptions to base your strategy around I'd suggest.

but I do think Paris will be coming strong, for the nxt 2 SOG I think it's gonna be a fight btwn Norh America and Europe.

The other big issue for the U.S. is an African bid. We cannot get sucked into another bid contest with a "new frontier" candidate. It's a losing proposition. I almost wonder if the rule of thumb should be "no more American bids until Africa has won." If Africa gets 2020 -- great, jump into 2024. If Africa doesn't win until 2024 -- wait til 2028.

I think the Africans will cash in their IOUs from us in 2013. They supported us in 1996 and this year (+ probably a 2018/2022 WC run); so it's TIME to return the favor and back Cape Town OPENLY. With 50+ nations (so nearly as strong as Europe and Asia), of course they will be a formidable bloc in any future IOC/FIFA showdowns.

I like that idea -- a very open American/African alliance.

And why not? The current leader is half-African and some of the greatest US' Olympic heroes are/were of African heritage...so MIGHT as well play it for all its worth. I mean the Euros and the Asians did their own behind-the-scenes collusion this round...so why not a new No.American-Africa alliance? After all, the Euro nations would not really train in the US anyway.

I'd say either Boston or San Francisco for 2020, though that would definitely depend on what the competition looks like. If African or Indian bids don't look too serious/winable then I say go for it. Otherwise wait until 2028, unless Paris shocks the world by not bidding in 2024.

I kinda doubt another Chicago bid is realistic at the moment. How they lost 2016 (in the first round despite flying in the biggest celebrity in the world) was a little embarassing, and I'd say they need some time to lick their wounds.

Or hey, let's give Atlanta another try! :lol:

I wish the Boston, San Francisco arguments could be retired.

Boston is a wonderful city with very unique character, but it is nowhere near big enough. I'm sorry. It's not going to work.

San Francisco is also a wonderful city with very unique character, but it is impossible to get anything accomplished in that town. There's way to much red tape, protesters everywhere you turn and California is broke and going down the tubes. It's not going to work either.

I somewhat agree with the above. While Greater Boston's population is comparable to past host cities, I think the biggest issue in Boston would be where could they develop the Olympic Village and where would they put an Olympic Stadium that was still in central Boston? There's some space around Harvard Stadium but I don't see them tearing that down or Harvard giving up the land. Stadium and village issues will also kill San Francisco, as shown in the recent past.

There's some space around Harvard Stadium but I don't see them tearing that down or Harvard giving up the land.

Harvard has been going thru a difficult patch lately vis-a-vis their portfolio. Due to mismanagement and the financial crises, of the top 4 or 5 heavily endowed universities, their endowments plunged, I believe, more than 50%, so I doubt that they will be in a very charitable mood over the next few years.

The USOC should wait 'til 2032 with Los Angeles. Use it as their centennial (ala Paris 2024) with an incredible venue plan. No problems there of "where are they going to build this or that", like in the other cities like i.e. Boston.

I think USA shold wait a little if South Africa make a magnificent World Cup next year.

If they do that, probably, for 2020 the "Africa never hosted Olympic Games" card will be stronger than Rio's appeals for 2016...

But, USA can try every single bid... Why not??? There is no rule avoiding this, and honestly USA will be a strong bid ever.

A lot of people are promoting Africa for 2020. I think that depends on two things: next year's World Cup and Rio's preparations. If either one of these or both is a disaster, the IOC may not be as willing to give the Games to a lesser-developed nation.

However, with that being said, I've read on here that the Pan Ams in Rio had its fair share of problems, and that certainly didn't stop Rio's bid.

A lot of people are promoting Africa for 2020. I think that depends on two things: next year's World Cup and Rio's preparations. If either one of these or both is a disaster, the IOC may not be as willing to give the Games to a lesser-developed nation.

However, with that being said, I've read on here that the Pan Ams in Rio had its fair share of problems, and that certainly didn't stop Rio's bid.

If RSA were doing a terrible job, FIFA would be sh*tting in its pants by now; Mo Rush would not be posting all those glorious pix; and you'd have heard that the Confederations Cup was an awful flop and FIFA would have given its verdict: not ready for next year. But some 8 months away, and we haven't heard such dire news yet, so...

Archived