• New York City
    • Los Angeles
    • Chicago
    • San Francisco
    • Another option (specify)

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I vote that the USOC should put forward Chicago in 2028. They might be able to get away with it earlier, but it's very risky. I strongly believe that Africa will host in either 2020 or 2024. I think either Asia or Europe will grab the remaining Games. If the U.S. hosts in 2028, that will be allow a distance of 34 years from Atlanta. That has to be a long enough gap to satisfy those who say that the U.S. has already hosted 8 times. It should also be enough time for the USOC to get their act together.

There's no question in my mind that Chicago is the best potential host in the U.S.

How did you configure the poll? Did you allow for multiple choices or did you restrict it to one choice per vote?

Why would there be multiple choice? The way the question is posed, there can only one answer per person, which is basically your opinion if you had supreme authority over the USOC. It is just for fun.

Why would there be multiple choice? The way the question is posed, there can only one answer per person, which is basically your opinion if you had supreme authority over the USOC. It is just for fun.

Because maybe you think either 2020 or 2024. Because maybe you think San Francisco or Chicago?

It's possible to allow multiple choice in polls, so I'm asking before I make my choices.

No chance on Honolulu to be the bid city.

Yes, Honolulu is too small of a city, and there is no room to build all the facilities, and existing facilities are nowhere near Olympic standard. There would also be lots of opposition, probably from OHA (Office of Hawaiian Affairs). You'd have to be familiar with that organization to understand.

Yes, Honolulu is too small of a city, and there is no room to build all the facilities, and existing facilities are nowhere near Olympic standard. There would also be lots of opposition, probably from OHA (Office of Hawaiian Affairs). You'd have to be familiar with that organization to understand.

Exactly

Because maybe you think either 2020 or 2024. Because maybe you think San Francisco or Chicago?

It's possible to allow multiple choice in polls, so I'm asking before I make my choices.

I thought the question was quite clear: If you were the one to make the decision for the USOC on the next Summer Olympics that the USA would bid for, when would you go for and where would you propose?

It is only hypothetical. But even in the real world, an NOC either bids on a particular year with a particular city or it doesn't.

It is just fun.

I thought the question was quite clear: If you were the one to make the decision for the USOC on the next Summer Olympics that the USA would bid for, when would you go for and where would you propose?

It is only hypothetical. But even in the real world, an NOC either bids on a particular year with a particular city or it doesn't.

It is just fun.

Alright, well, I abstain from the poll, because I am not able to choose just one for each category.

I think the USOC should just put a ban on bidding for the summer games to a time span that is typical of games coming back to most nations. Germany is the shortest return with 1936 followed by 1972 . A total of 36 years . The UK has taken 64 years for the games to come back to London.

Making a declaration like that would send the message to the IOC that America does not need the games but that games may need America as History has shown . Top sponsorship and Us Tv rights will always go on simply because you have global economic interests with Us headquartered Multi Nationals.

If the IOc goes into situations like 1932 , 1980 or 1984 then the USOC can say Screw it you screwed up before and we are not playing a suckers game for your entertainment . As much as I am an advocate for Rio 2016 , Africa hosting and the Muslim world hosting I do think America has been kicked in the teeth about 30 times with rejected bids and at the same time rescued and provided the business model we see today that makes a vote for 2016 possible . Europe getting the games on a continuing basis except when the heavy lifting of Rescuing the IOc on a few occasions show the duplicity of the majority IOC Membership.

The Games may indeed come to Toronto before they come back to America. The USOC should never back down on their cut after all it was the americans who made that very revenue possible let alone the fact that Asian Sponsors have since come to the franchise America saved in the 1980s and the Europeans generally dont appreciate .

Jim jones

Not sure when the USOC should bid again, but when they do it should be Chicago. The USA makes the mistake of throwing a random city at the IOC every four years. The IOC needs to become acclimated to the city, and one bid isnt going to do that.

Out of all the major US cities, Chicago is the best logistical and political choice.

Not sure when the USOC should bid again, but when they do it should be Chicago. The USA makes the mistake of throwing a random city at the IOC every four years. The IOC needs to become acclimated to the city, and one bid isnt going to do that.

Out of all the major US cities, Chicago is the best logistical and political choice.

Yes, but say, come time to bid in 2021 (for 2028)...the BIG QUESTION IS: where will they put the Olympic Village? The Reese site is NOT going to sit there empty for 2 decades. Will the Univ. of Chicago and Northwestern dorms cut it?

Yes, but say, come time to bid in 2021 (for 2028)...the BIG QUESTION IS: where will they put the Olympic Village? The Reese site is NOT going to sit there empty for 2 decades. Will the Univ. of Chicago and Northwestern dorms cut it?

Yeah, that's my big concern with Chicago bidding again. No more lakeside athletes village with private beach. The IOC likes sexy and that's sexy!

Wait a minute guys, the Michael Reese site is not going anywhere, especially in a depressed real estate market right now. Although the city said that development will continue no matter what the outcome in Denmark, the Games would surely speed up development. But right now without a deadline, I wouldn't expect the site to be developed until in about 10 years or so, especially a planned community this big on the lakefront. Plus the fact that the South Loop has about 2,000 condo units in the inventory waiting to be sold, building more units wouldn't be logical at this time. But if the site were to be developed before a Chicago bid, they can propose to build an OV and perhaps another Olympic cluster (maybe permanent stadium) on the other side of the South Loop by the Chicago River. This riverfront site is completely empty and is also waiting to be developed. There are no current plans on this site directy south of the downtown core which extends to Chinatown along the south Chicago River because it's to big for just one developer. It wouldn't be lakefront sexy but it's a riverfront site with the same skyline background. Commute times from this site to McCormick Place would be about 6 minutes by car and 15 minutes by walk.

I am amazed at how much unanimity there is here. A large majority seem to feel Chicago is the best potential U.S. host. There also seems to be a strong argument for 2028 or maybe 2024 at the earliest. I certainly agree with these opinions.

Regarding the village, who knows what the years ahead will hold? Yes, the landscape will change. However, I cannot believe that Chicago will have any more obstacles than New York, LA or San Francisco. For example, the USC dorms are not going to make a very appealing village any more. Yes, they sufficed in 1984, but the standards have risen a lot since then.

Archived