Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JavelinMan

Broadcast Bronze For Olympics

I don't think this means much. If that was the only thing they were looking at they would be in the USA every other games.

Thanks for posting the videos - I still think the US TV rights will go for a solid amount considering Rio's great time slot - events can be held prime time in Rio and aired live in the US. That will mean higher ratings in the US as long as there is still an American appetite for the Games in 7 years time. There's no doubt though the IOC could have made more $ by choosing Chicago - even Rogge himself said so in the press conference. Interesting to note that it could be the end of 2012 before the final deal is signed. This means there are 2 more Games (2010 Vancouver and 2012 London) in which networks can figure out what the appetite is or is not in the US for the Games from a broadcast rights standpoint.

I don't think this means much. If that was the only thing they were looking at they would be in the USA every other games.

I think this means VERY much to many people. This is the $ that gets allocated to host cities, NOCs and the sports federations - If broadcasting revenues dwindle (no reason to believe they will necessarily), then the Games will have to downsize. Unless the IOC begins to ask host cities to not only pay for the Games but to support the Olympic movement in the 4 years between Games. I'm sure the IOC will begin making that part of the host city contract soon given that governments are now writing blank checks to the IOC!!!

I think this means VERY much to many people. This is the $ that gets allocated to host cities, NOCs and the sports federations - If broadcasting revenues dwindle (no reason to believe they will necessarily), then the Games will have to downsize. Unless the IOC begins to ask host cities to not only pay for the Games but to support the Olympic movement in the 4 years between Games. I'm sure the IOC will begin making that part of the host city contract soon given that governments are now writing blank checks to the IOC!!!

I was thinking more that it didn't matter for Rio because like you said in an early post that it was in a favorable timezone for the US. I think as long as they throw a bone like that to American audiences often enough its not that big of a deal. And correct me if I'm wrong but in Beijing didn't they have some events at strange times so they would be live in the US for prime time?

You are right Manlge - swimming was held morning in Beijing to be aired live in the US.... ironically, Beijing had superb ratings not just because of swimming but because there was so much Olympic information available to Americans via other channels and the internet, etc.... - it was a risk to put it out there for fear that Americans would never turn on the TV to watch but we did like never before!

As US TV rights go down (if they do), the IOC will depend on emerging countries like China and Brazil to pick up the slack as they host and play bigger roles in the Olympic movement. From the IOC's perspective, this is smart not to depend so heavily on the US and one network as they have for so long. I'm just not convinced other countries' networks will pay $2B USD the way NBC did.

You are right Manlge - swimming was held morning in Beijing to be aired live in the US.... ironically, Beijing had superb ratings not just because of swimming but because there was so much Olympic information available to Americans via other channels and the internet, etc.... - it was a risk to put it out there for fear that Americans would never turn on the TV to watch but we did like never before!

As US TV rights go down (if they do), the IOC will depend on emerging countries like China and Brazil to pick up the slack as they host and play bigger roles in the Olympic movement. From the IOC's perspective, this is smart not to depend so heavily on the US and one network as they have for so long. I'm just not convinced other countries' networks will pay $2B USD the way NBC did.

At least among my friends and family we love the olympics and don't really care about things like the world cup or really any other international sporting event. I think were fairly typical for Americans.

I think the olympic raitings will probably go up with them being in Canada as compaired to Italy last time. But I think it will be harder to put the "big events" in prime time for london so that might weaken the raitings.

Olympic ratings--unless there are NO STAR U.S. athletes will not really go down. Just as you think you will lose people who will not stay up late for the different time zones, there will always be NEW viewers and Fans of the Games. So the newbies will take up the slack.

Vancouver could MATCH or surpass the ratings for Salt Lake.

http://www.1cast.com/l/212503 -- how do you figure?

The world is in a economic downturn..

yes i know i saw that video already.

First the Games are in a favorable time zone for the US TV markets so I would still expect the winner of the broadcast rights to still pay a huge amount. Second according to the video you gave the broadcast rights could be done in 2012 when I think the US economy will be doing considerably better than where it is right now. Third I think "developing economies" like China, India, and Eastern Europe are going to start paying more for broadcasting rights. I really don't thinkg this is a big deal otherwise the olympics would be heald in America 50% of the time. Since we are the "cash cow"