Opening Ceremony Of The Pan Am Games 2007

I was curious how the Opening Ceremony of the Pan Am Games 2007 were and I searched for some videos on youtube - the pics are not professional, but it gives an impression how the OC might be in 2016!

very impressive!!!

... but I have to add this video which I found when I was searching for videos of the opening ceremony of Rio de Janeiro 2007 - I hope this won't happen in Rio 2016 again:

I wonder what the commentators are saying?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder what the commentators are saying?

They are saying that the public is cheering because she was competing head-to-head with a Brazilian gymnast.

Very unfortunate...

Brazilians are not used with Gymnastics and the appropriate behaviors...

They are saying that the public is cheering because she was competing head-to-head with a Brazilian gymnast.

Very unfortunate...

Brazilians are not used with Gymnastics and the appropriate behaviors...

I hope the Brazilian media will do some education before the games, but back to the opening ceremony - the scenes which I found reminds me a lot at the carnival and the competition of the different samba schools - I hope that there will be something more than "just" samba...

i dont know if is right or wrong but i believe all athletes should know how to compete againt pressure. For example, im in favor of the boo on collective sports, so the local supporters can make the difference on the game.

I agree on that, but there's the "Olympic spirit" where to compete is the important, not winning... Friendship, etc...

I hope the Brazilian media will do some education before the games, but back to the opening ceremony - the scenes which I found reminds me a lot at the carnival and the competition of the different samba schools - I hope that there will be something more than "just" samba...

But samba was only the minor part of the opening

Look at this impressive Bossa Nova section (The energy of the seas)

:) Complete Rio 2007 opening ceremony :D

Rio 2007 Opening Ceremony - Beggining of the Ceremony and Brazilian National Anthem

Rio 2007 Opening Ceremony - Welcome and VIVA ESSA ENERGIA!

Rio 2007 Opening Ceremony - Hymn to the Games

Rio 2007 Opening Ceremony - Energy of the Sun

Rio 2007 Opening Ceremony - Energy of the Water

Rio 2007 Opening Ceremony - Energy of the Man

Rio 2007 Opening Ceremony - Peace

Rio 2007 Opening Ceremony - Speech part 1 of 2

Rio 2007 Opening Ceremony - Speech part 2 of 2

Rio 2007 Opening Ceremony - Arrival of the Flags

Rio 2007 Opening Ceremony - The Journey of the Torch

Rio 2007 Opening Ceremony - The Torch part 1 of 2

Rio 2007 Opening Ceremony - The torch part 2 of 2 _ Lightning of the Cauldron

Rio 2007 Opening Ceremony - Final Part

Sorry but I didn't found the Parade of athletes.

Enjoy

Sorry but I didn't found the Parade of athletes.

Enjoy

thanks very very much mr_one!!! thanks danny!!

I will take definitely a look!!!

Thank you mr one. You great a big jog posting this ceremony here for the non-brazilian members

The only bad thing is: GALVÃO BUENO OMG stop him lol

You're welcome hehehe the unique bad thing is Galvão Bueno... He never stop talking :blink:

Is that Jacques Rogge alongside Lula?

Yes, he stayed in Rio for one week during the PanAm Games and got surprised with the venues he visited.

Other IOC members visited Rio during the games, even Chicago's mayor Daley came too.

I think you guys forgot to post the link to the beginning of "Energy of Man"

The singer is Adriana Calcanhotto. This song is called 'Acalanto' (portuguese for Lullaby). It's a very popular song parents use to sing for their little children before they sleep. This part shows some scary characters and monsters from our folklore. Very touching for me.

That other part with the upbeat music and the is my favorite because it shows some culture from my state B)

And check this one too. It's a short making of the OC, called 'Energy'. The music in the second half was played during the athletes parade.

Enjoy

Thanks Danny, Thanks mr_one!

I have watched all videos now and I think that it was clear during this opening ceremony that Rio will receive the honour to host in 2016 if the bid shows they can do it!

This OC is just wonderful - my favourite parts are the "Engergy of the Sun" and The "Energy of the Water"!!!

The 2007 PanAms opening ceremony was a nice show, but I think it was rather unimaginative and predictable. When compared with recent Olympic opening ceremonies, it looks like a 90s production.

We need something unexpected, something that will knock everyone's socks off with a tight narrative and kick-ass technical production wizardry, but still retain a strong sense of the host city/country's culture. Think Athens 2004 and Beijing 2008.

The 2007 PanAms opening ceremony was a nice show, but I think it was rather unimaginative and predictable. When compared with recent Olympic opening ceremonies, it looks like a 90s production.

I think PanAm Games were very nice, indeed if you compare with the previous shows made for the games...

It made PanAm OC to a new level of presentation.

Of couse, the Rio 2007 OC was degrees under Athens 2004 (the last OC at that time).

I think it was predictible for Brazilians, but not to the others countries (specially the no-south-american ones).

Ikarus 360 posted in youtube the video with Venezuelan commentators and they were excited about the show, since never was too big for some PanAms...

It was a emulation of Olympic Opening Ceremony in a smaller size.

I think it couldn't be an olympic-like OC. After all it's just the PanAm games and we were already preparing for the 2016 bid. I remember one of the producers saying (complaining) they had to "keep the ammo" and make the ceremony more simple. The Rio 2007 wasn't supposed to be the best ever big production we would have. The Olympics were in mind.

About my predictions: I think we won't see a hi-tech wizardry revolution like Beijing and Athens. We have so much to show about carioca culture and dances and folklore and customs and faces of the whole country. And those things are made by normal people and not by cables computers.

I think it couldn't be an olympic-like OC. After all it's just the PanAm games and we were already preparing for the 2016 bid. I remember one of the producers saying (complaining) they had to "keep the ammo" and make the ceremony more simple. The Rio 2007 wasn't supposed to be the best ever big production we would have. The Olympics were in mind.

About my predictions: I think we won't see a hi-tech wizardry revolution like Beijing and Athens. We have so much to show about carioca culture and dances and folklore and customs and faces of the whole country. And those things are made by normal people and not by cables computers.

Right on the spot and, as Baron has said, the budget will be much bigger this time.

Archived