IAAF World Athletics Championships

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see why not. It just maybe a bit soon to go back to Spain after Seville 1999.

I prefer a Championships in Madrid... So, what about New Delhi 2011 and Madrid 2013/15? :upside:

What about influence within athletics? Do they have enough of that?

I don't know  :laughlong: Then, what about Brisbane 2011? :oops:

Believe it or not, Delhi did try to bid for the World Athletics Championships in the past. However, as you pretty much know, these bid(s) didn't get far at all.

As for Australia, I would love to see one hosted there before the London 2012 Olympics. Brisbane is a  good choice for starters.

They actually suck at almost every sport to be honest

True. But I think that's got something to do with a lack of government funding. I've heard that in India, msot athletes still have to do a day job to support themselves (and their families in some cases), in which case the practice would only be done at weekends or in their spare time.

I also guess that Brisbane will be a very strong contender. At the latest since the Sydney Olympics, Australia has an excellent reputation as organiser of major sports events.

But for me, the main question is: Why the hell aren't the Americans considering a bid for the IAAF world champs? They are the most successful nation in athletics by far -- and so they're actually the natural host for the world champs.

But for me, the main question is: Why the hell aren't the Americans considering a bid for the IAAF world champs? They are the most successful nation in athletics by far -- and so they're actually the natural host for the world champs.

If you want to believe this, track and field events is not really in the American sports radar. Even though they really kick in these kinds of events in competitions like the Olympic Games, the sports themselves rank almost at the very bottom of sports TV viewing in America. I read this some time ago last year: 1%!

I'm quite surprised Brisbane is being mentioned. Can it be confirmed that we have bid? The mayor or state government minister or the Premier has never ever mentioned a bid. No one on the street would know there is a bid. And I don't see how we could really be bidding without a decent stadium or a proposal for a new one.

Archived