Consolation For Chicago Supporters

Hey, Chicago-supporters, I know it was shocking but you know...but it was great waking up to the news that 3 Yanks are the first of 3 2009 Nobel prize winners in medicine! (Probably the first of a few more.)

I'd take a bunch of Nobel prize winners ANYTIME over hosting a sweaty affair like a Summer Olympics. The NOBELS are the creme de la creme of human achievement...not those ridiculous sports.

And if you'll look at the cumulative list of ALL Nobel prize winners so far, the US is far and ahead of the pack:

US - 312 Nobel winners so far (not including the 2009 winners; including 16 Nobel PEACE prize winners!!) - I don't think that's such a bad catch after all.

2nd place is Germany with 102

UK is 3rd with 97

Japan - 16

Spain - 7

Brazil - 0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nobel...ates_by_country

So not all news coming out of Scandinavia is bad this week!!

Plus, our Supreme Court opens today back in business as usual.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey, Chicago-supporters, I know it was shocking but you know...but it was great waking up to the news that 3 Yanks are the first of 3 2009 Nobel prize winners in medicine! (Probably the first of a few more.)

I'd take a bunch of Nobel prize winners ANYTIME over hosting a sweaty affair like a Summer Olympics. The NOBELS are the creme de la creme of human achievement...not those ridiculous sports.

And if you'll look at the cumulative list of ALL Nobel prize winners so far, the US is far and ahead of the pack:

US - 312 Nobel winners so far (not including the 2009 winners; including 16 Nobel PEACE prize winners!!) - I don't think that's such a bad catch after all.

2nd place is Germany with 102

UK is 3rd with 97

Japan - 16

Spain - 7

Brazil - 0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nobel...ates_by_country

So not all news coming out of Scandinavia is bad this week!!

Any of 'em from Chicago by any chance? ;)

Now if only the Nobel Committee would inject a bit of public drama into the process like the IOC does.Then we could have thousands of people standing in front of giant screens waiting to see whose name will be read out!! :P

yeah :D

here is another list... death punishments in 2008

China At least 5000

Iran At least 346

Saudi Arabia At least 102

North Korea At least 63

United States of America 37

Pakistan At least 36

Iraq At least 34

Vietnam At least 19

Afghanistan At least 17

:D

look USA share the top 10 with whom:D

thats another point ...no offense please..

China At least 5000

Iran At least 346

North Korea At least 63

Pakistan At least 36

Iraq At least 34

Vietnam At least 19

Afghanistan At least 17

well the leader of this one had the games in 2008. So I think the US needs to kill more people.

China At least 5000

Iran At least 346

North Korea At least 63

Pakistan At least 36

Iraq At least 34

Vietnam At least 19

Afghanistan At least 17

emre, so what? U're really quite perverse. I am talking about "human achievement" and you twist it to that. And what has that got to do with anything? That is how each country DEALS with its offenders. That is their own businesses. If you (Turkey) want to crown your criminals, then go for it, man. That's your own freakin' business.

Well, now, I see why Istanbul will never advance in Olympic bidding if that is the educated Turkishman's kind of 'twisted' response.

emre, so what? U're really quite perverse. I am talking about "human achievement" and you twist it to that. And what has that got to do with anything? That is how each country DEALS with its offenders. That is their own businesses. If you (Turkey) want to crown your criminals, then go for it, man. That's your own freakin' business.

Well, now, I see why Istanbul will never advance in if that is the educated Turkishman's kind of 'twisted' response.

i said no offense :)

but it is ironic for me ... USA has dozens of peace nobel price but still have death penalty and use it :S

for me its not human achievement baron...

well may be it a little tough example no mean to make it a discussion..

though i never like USA' international politics ever :S

Somehow I don't think this lessons the blow for the die hard Chicago people. How many billions of dollars in tourism have been created because someone got a Nobel prize? I would venture to say 0.

Your comparison is really quite neanderthal.

The "billions" (I doubt it goes that high) of dollars in tourism I think is debatable for a city like Chicago with already a HIGH Profile and is the #1 or #2 convention city in the US...so that's really a dumb analogy, Mangle.

i said no offense :)

but it is ironic for me ... USA has dozens of peace nobel price but still have death penalty and use it :S

for me its not human achievement baron...

well may be it a little tough example no mean to make it a discussion..

though i never like USA' international politics ever :S

Well, maybe you should share your thoughts with the Nobel Prize Committee and the White House and the US Congress. Maybe they'll take your views into consideration.

I'm afraid I can't help you there.

Well, maybe you should share your thoughts with the Nobel Prize Committee and the White House and the US Congress. Maybe they'll take your views into consideration.

I'm afraid I can't help you there.

im not a usa citizen but u can make it :)

another question. how many of these nobel winners are from chicago... im serious about it just wondering? without any twisting :D

Your comparison is really quite neanderthal.

The "billions" (I doubt it goes that high) of dollars in tourism I think is debatable for a city like Chicago with already a HIGH Profile and is the #1 or #2 convention city in the US...so that's really a dumb analogy, Mangle.

The billions I was compareing the Nobel Prize to was the potential money the greater Chicago area would have gotten from the Olympics. Which it seems like they would have to make billions if they were going to spend billions on bring the games to any city.

im not a usa citizen but u can make it :)

another question. how many of these nobel winners are from chicago... im serious about it just wondering? without any twisting :D

I don't know...and I am NOT going to find out. Do you? Why, does it matter? So you wouldn't take pride if you had a Turkish Nobel prize winner coming from where? Samara or Cappadochia? Is your pride that regional that you think the other Chicago supporters would not take pride in our Nobel winners just because they are elsewhere but the Chicago area.

(As a matter of fact, I believe a number of the past U.S. Nobel prize winners were connected with the University of Chicago. You find out which ones.)

R u so crude that you would that you bother to stomp on my little consolation news for my fellow Chicago supporters? And Turkey prides itself in being a 'westernized' country?

Just wait until Istanbul LOSSES again, emre!! All of a sudden, I just lost my interest in wanting to go visit Turkey next year.

Goodbye, emre.

The billions I was compareing the Nobel Prize to was the potential money the greater Chicago area would have gotten from the Olympics. Which it seems like they would have to make billions if they were going to spend billions on bring the games to any city.

Yeah, yes and no. But that goes the same for Tokyo and Madrid as well, right?

DOn't worry the other 3 cities I think will soldier on; and God forbid a recession should strike Brazil in the next 5-7 years.

I don't know...and I am NOT going to find out. Do you? Why, does it matter? So you wouldn't take pride if you had a Turkish Nobel prize winner coming from where? Samara or Cappadochia? Is your pride that regional that you think the other Chicago supporters would not take pride in our Nobel winners just because they are elsewhere but the Chicago area.

(As a matter of fact, I believe a number of the past U.S. Nobel prize winners were connected with the University of Chicago. You find out which ones.)

R u so crude that you would that you bother to stomp on my little consolation news for my fellow Chicago supporters? And Turkey prides itself in being a 'westernized' country?

Just wait until Istanbul LOSSES again, emre!! All of a sudden, I just lost my interest in wanting to go visit Turkey next year.

Goodbye, emre.

lol

you are really a funny guy:)

very reacted :)

so what i asked u this?

:)

anytime u are welcome to Istanbul... it will be a very different experince for u believe me:)

if u need help about the city u can ask anytime...

Somehow I don't think this lessons the blow for the die hard Chicago people. How many billions of dollars in tourism have been created because someone got a Nobel prize? I would venture to say 0.

As for the Supream Court....... Bleck

Chicago is around #4 GDP of all cities internationally, I think they are OK for money without the Olympics. Less flash, more cash. ;)

University of Chicago happens to have the most Nobel winners in history, I think.

Just checked. Without the 2009 list yet, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nobel...ity_affiliation

Strangely, the top 3 Nobel winner-unversity affiliations are "C" universities:

Cambridge (the UK) is #1 with 83

Univ.of Chicago is #2 with 82

Columbia is #3 with 78

4 -Harvard

5 - MIT

6 - Univ. of Paris

7 - Oxford

8 - Stanford

9 - UC, Berkeley

10 - Georg August Univ. of Gottingen, Sweden

11 - Cornell

12 - Ludwig Maximillians Univ.,Munich

13 - Yale

14 - NYU

15 -Princeton

16 - Johns Hopkins Univ.

17 - CalTech (Pasadena, CA)

i had a chance to go that uni... but im afraid of cold winters...

its one of the best in world..

emre, don't be afraid of Chicago winters. If it's as scary as many other people portray it to be, then what's the point of having more than 10 million people live and work there on a daily basis? Besides, with the global warming, we didn't really have a lot of major snowstorms/blizzards in the past couple of years. There was even a time we have 16C days in January. Believe me, having a University of Chicago diploma could open more opportunities that hosting the Olympics ever can!

emre, don't be afraid of Chicago winters. If it's as scary as many other people portray it to be, then what's the point of having more than 10 million people live and work there on a daily basis? Besides, with the global warming, we didn't really have a lot of major snowstorms/blizzards in the past couple of years. There was even a time we have 16C days in January. Believe me, having a University of Chicago diploma could open more opportunities that hosting the Olympics ever can!

it was at 1998 :)

im a little old for my 3rd uni degree:)

but can have a certificate programme hmmmmmmmm

Archived