Rio 2016 Logo

In about 2 years from now, Rio de Janerio 2016 will have to present a brand new logo and brand statement for the Games of the XXXI Olympiad.

Wonder what it will be? Another Sugarloaf motif like the bid logo and the 2007 Pan Ams? Something totally different and unexpected like what London did?

Whatever it is, I'm looking forward to it. They did a great job in the design of their look and branding for the 2007 Pan Am Games:

Rio 2007 PanAm Look Slideshow

Almost a shame they can't re-use that. That would be boring, of course, but I suppose many of the elements may re-appear. Rio is certainly filled with a lot of colour and interesting shapes.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My bets: Sugar Loaf or Copacabana pattern...

I think Rio-COG will not risk a "London-like" logo since it didn't have lots of success in Brazil.

Rio should have a logo full of colors probalby as PanAms...

My bets: Sugar Loaf or Copacabana pattern...

I'd go with the Copacabana pattern as it is still unexplored by them and yet very cool and representative.

Having in mind PanAm and the 2016 bid logos, I think they can do a good job.

I don't expect something hip and trendy and on-drugs like London's logo (Sorry, Rob). I believe the 2007 PanAms logo was as marketable and customizable as London's, while it actually meant something, so I expect something like that.

I expect something as great as the bid logo.

A logo similar to that man on the mountain. Basically

Agree! Athlete with open arms to remember the statue of Christ the Redeemer. Another element to remember the sun. And another to remember the SugarLoaf or the tropical beaches of Rio.

A "Tropical Logo", for first time in history!

Starting with 2012, the IOC wanted to take a different approach in how cities brandmark the Games they are hosting.

I can’t be bothered to explain how the 2012 London logo is a turn to a drastically different approach in terms of branding and usage (because I've explained it on this board a dozen times already and because most people won’t understand it or won’t care), but… I really don’t think future Olympic logos will be like the ones of the past.

Not saying that whatever Sochi and Rio come up with will be just like London’s, but I don’t think it will follow the usual "image over event name over rings" formula employed in every Olympic logo for the past 30-40 years.

Starting with 2012, the IOC wanted to take a different approach in how cities brandmark the Games they are hosting.

I can’t be bothered to explain how the 2012 London logo is a turn to a drastically different approach in terms of branding and usage (because I've explained it on this board a dozen times already and because most people won’t understand it or won’t care), but… I really don’t think future Olympic logos will be like the ones of the past.

Not saying that whatever Sochi and Rio come up with will be just like London’s, but I don’t think it will follow the usual "image over event name over rings" formula employed in every Olympic logo for the past 30-40 years.

As a Graphic Designer, I agree 100% with you!

It seems that the London logo was, then, something designed by graphic designers for graphic designers. It is distressing, unimpressive, and as unattractive and repulsive as a logo can be.

Those responsible for the Rio logo should remember that what is "hip" for the design community is not necessarily what is best.

I just hope that the team responsible for the lovely bid logo is kept.

The 2012 logo has become "hip" among sponsors and corporate partners, and I suspect once 2012 marketing and merchandising really begins sometime next year, the logo will begin to really work as intended.

But anyway, this is about the future Rio 2016 brandmark. I personally hope they don't go with some landmark but instead, express "Brazilian Olympics" in a different way.

Archived