New Sports To Be Introduced

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
just to bring my question up again!

Sorry, I just called up this thread now.

The answer is yes, players from the All Blacks, Wallabies, Springboks etc can and often do play 7s. No restrictions between the two. Jonah Lomu, All Blacks legend, was also a dab hand at 7s.

Some countries, especially the Pacific islanders, tend to put more emp[hasis on the 7s version than the full one these days because they've had great success at the smaller, faster game.

I can't believe anybody would try to compare the global reach (or lack of) of American football to the international strength of Rugby.

Even baseball might be a little more spread - to the Caribbean and northeast ASia, but nothing compared with the reach of Rugby.

Sorry, I just called up this thread now.

The answer is yes, players from the All Blacks, Wallabies, Springboks etc can and often do play 7s. No restrictions between the two. Jonah Lomu, All Blacks legend, was also a dab hand at 7s.

Some countries, especially the Pacific islanders, tend to put more emp[hasis on the 7s version than the full one these days because they've had great success at the smaller, faster game.

I can't believe anybody would try to compare the global reach (or lack of) of American football to the international strength of Rugby.

Even baseball might be a little more spread - to the Caribbean and northeast ASia, but nothing compared with the reach of Rugby.

oh - wow that will become exiting!!!

By the way has somebody else seen the new shirts of the Paris Rugby team?

you should search for it - you will be very surprised!!!

Great that Rugby is in! A real, real shame we won't see it at London 2012 though.

A properly big Rugby country like England would be ideal for the sport's reintroduction and including Twickenham in the Olympic programme would be great. In practical terms it's not too late to wedge it into the programme; nothing needs to be built and the games are played over a single day or two as I understand it. Come on IOC, move Rugby forward four years - we want it in London!!

Well, I know that won't happen, but I wish it could.

Golf, meh. Good for them, but I won't be watching it.

I'd be with you on that one. It'd be soo fitting. And it's not as if it would wreck budgets or throw LOCOG' planning out of whack to see them being asked to do Rugby at even this stage of the cycle.

Even golf - as much as I'm less happy to see it in the games - it would be great to see the IOC give LOCOG a special dispensation to hold it at St Andrews (as Athens had shot put at Olympia).

Would one of the Brazilians in the forum please tell us how many golf courses there are in/near Rio?

Also how popular is the sport in Brazil?

Could you give us the urls of some of the golf course?

Thanks.

There are only 2 suitable Golf Courses: Itanhangá Golf Club and Gávea Golf Club. The other 3 golf courses (Barra Golden Green, Banana Golf and Japeri) do not have 18 holes. There are also suitable golf courses in Petropolis, Angra dos Reis, Teresopolis and Buzios, which are within 200km from Rio.

Itanhangá is currently considered the best option, since it has more space than Gavea and its better located and with a better and quicker access from the OV. Both golf courses have an amazing scenery. I used to play in Itanhangá and the view was incredible. Gavea also has a great view, but I have never played there.

Another thought is that Tonga is the only pacific island country (other than New Zealand) who have won an olympic medal. It will be a huge chance for the likes of Fiji and Samoa who are 7s powerhouses to get their first olympic medals! Will be awesome for them

withing the city of rio there are two excellent golf courses

Gavea Golf Club : http://www.gaveagolf.com.br/

Itanhangá Golf CLUB: http://www.itanhanga.com.br/

I'D PREFER THE games to be held at the Gavea one... amazing views!

Article about golfing in Rio:

http://www.brazilmax.com/news.cfm/tborigem/fe_sports/id/7

IMO Golfing in Brazil is seen as something very posh and that very few actually have the chance to practise. But it is FAR MORE POPULAR than sports like Rugby 7s, American Football and Baseball for example.

Thanks very much!

Archived