New Sports To Be Introduced

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@ michael @ roltel,

maybe it sounds a stupid question, but can all rugby players play rugby 7s - I mean could the athletes, who are teammembers of e.g. Wallabies or All Blacks participate at the Olmpics or are these totally dfiferent athletes?

or anybody else?

So did any other sports get booted?

It seems not!

I agree that introduce golf is very stupid, but I also think that having Shooting is by far stupider...

Yeah, but shooting does require hand-eye coordination (and really difficult in the biathlon); and is NOT a 'pastime' sport the way 'golf' is. I mean how about 'shuffleboard'?

I guess throwing in 2 new sports makes up for the loss of money by not choosing Chicago.

For deeply personal reasons, I am a Flamengo fan, I have tried to stay out of it, but Sao Januario itself is not unattractive but its area is.

BTW, I think the money to renovate it won't come from the government directly, but through some kind of loan from BNDES like the ones that will be available for the private WC renovations.

Why not Gávea stadium then? Flamengo in the past used some temporary seating and the capacity went from 8,000 to nearly 20,000. And it would be better for TV too.

Is 20,000 enough for Rugby 7?

Why not Gávea stadium then? Flamengo in the past used some temporary seating and the capacity went from 8,000 to nearly 20,000. And it would be better for TV too.

Is 20,000 enough for Rugby 7?

I'm a Rugby fan and I think that in Brazil, it is enough, but I know a lot of guys in thins forum will disgree...

You mean American Football?

If yes, because it is only seriusly played in one country...

"Soccer" is a Olympic sport...

Rugby is pretty similar to football tho.

how about kitesurfIng or windsurfing? Rio had those in the PanAms..:

"Surfing has never been so near the Summer Olympic Games.

Brazil has been chosen to held the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, the landmark capital of a country of surfers.

Our sport has made a long and difficult journey towards the Olympic recognition. Sometimes we've been closer, sometimes we've been beaten by other emerging sports.

BMX, snowboarding and beach volleyball have made it to the Games.

As President of ISA, Fernando Aguerre has tried to push Surfing into the top priorities of the Olympic Movement.

It is not an easy and quick task. It take time.

But, the time is now. Brazil could do it.

Surfing has it all - a strong and global industry, a fashionable lifestyle, an image of drug-free competition, worldwide ocean conditions, a growing number of athletes, a TV-friendly format and a very competitive professional status.

In the next years, surf parks will grow in every corner and wave improving projects like the Boscombe Reef will alert many local coastal authorities for the added valued provided by the surfing (windsurfing, kitesurfing and bodyboarding always included) activities.

In Portugal, Europe's surfing Mecca, one the main political voices and former Financial Minister, Ernâni Lopes has pointed out the relevance of surfing and its growth in the "Ocean Economics Hypercluster" report.

Surfing should boost these ideas and make it to the Olympic Games.

It's now or never. There are 190 million Brazilians waiting for us."

http://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/2335-su...mpics-in-brazil

/\ Read up on the Olympic charter. There are rules like...

for summer sports, to be included...it must be played in X # of countires; must have a womens's component, must be codified, etc., etc.

Similarly for the Winter sports, but lesser minimum # of countries where it is played, etc.

Re surfing...

- is it even codified?

It seems to be a very ungainly "sport" that depends greatly on too many unreliable variables. And like, how do you secure a venue? It poses a lot of insurance liabilities which I don't think the IOC wants to take on.

The Rugby world cup is a massive event and several nations across most continents play to a very high standard. It's more than deserving its place. I'm not sure American Football has this reach. Besides, you ask why it isn't on the programme: has it even applied to be on there? If it hasn't, it's not the IOC you should be questioning but the sport's governing body.

Rugby is pretty similar to football tho.

how about kitesurfIng or windsurfing? Rio had those in the PanAms..:

Actually, American Football is pretty similar to Rugby... Just as Baseball originated from Cricket...

Windsurfing already is a olympic sport, it's the RS:X class under "Sailing".

I also agree surfing should be in Rio 2016, but could be difficult for countries with no sea shores. it's up to IOC anyway...

Would one of the Brazilians in the forum please tell us how many golf courses there are in/near Rio?

Also how popular is the sport in Brazil?

Could you give us the urls of some of the golf course?

Thanks.

Would one of the Brazilians in the forum please tell us how many golf courses there are in/near Rio?

Also how popular is the sport in Brazil?

Could you give us the urls of some of the golf course?

Thanks.

withing the city of rio there are two excellent golf courses

Gavea Golf Club : http://www.gaveagolf.com.br/

Itanhangá Golf CLUB: http://www.itanhanga.com.br/

I'D PREFER THE games to be held at the Gavea one... amazing views!

Article about golfing in Rio:

http://www.brazilmax.com/news.cfm/tborigem/fe_sports/id/7

IMO Golfing in Brazil is seen as something very posh and that very few actually have the chance to practise. But it is FAR MORE POPULAR than sports like Rugby 7s, American Football and Baseball for example.

Interesting Rugby 7's trivia:

ORIGIN — The format originated in the Scottish town of Melrose, where butcher Ned Haig had the idea of the game as a way of raising money for his club. The first Melrose Sevens was held in 1883. Tournaments are now held in nearly all the 96 countries which are members of the International Rugby Board, the sport's ruling body.

OLYMPIC PAST — The traditional 15-a-side game of rugby was played at the Olympics in 1900, 1908, 1920 and 1924.

DEFENDING OLYMPIC CHAMPION — The United States won the last rugby gold medal at the 1924 Paris Games, beating France 17-3 in a final that included fighting in the stands and police protection for the Americans as they left the field.

It's good that both sports were introduced.

I still think that removing baseball was a great mistake. It is one of the truly loved international sports (that is, great sports which are the favorite sports in several countries, along with the much more powerful football association/soccer and cricket), from Japan to Puerto Rico and from Canada to Venezuela.

It's good that both sports were introduced.

I still think that removing baseball was a great mistake. It is one of the truly loved international sports (that is, great sports which are the favorite sports in several countries, along with the much more powerful football association/soccer and cricket), from Japan to Puerto Rico and from Canada to Venezuela.

Yeah, but the various professional owners were never ever going to let their players play (god forbid they miss a few games in a three thousand game season) so if you can't get the best players there then why do it? (I think men's soccer should be eliminated for the same reasons. What other sport is allowed to conduct their Olympic event as a youth tournament, and do so only for one gender?) Softball, though, should not have been made to pay for baseball's sins.

Actually, American Football is pretty similar to Rugby... Just as Baseball originated from Cricket...

Windsurfing already is a olympic sport, it's the RS:X class under "Sailing".

I also agree surfing should be in Rio 2016, but could be difficult for countries with no sea shores. it's up to IOC anyway...

The big difference in Rugby is that you pass the ball backwards and in american football you can pass it forward. I dont think it is that similar to rugby.

The big difference in Rugby is that you pass the ball backwards and in american football you can pass it forward. I dont think it is that similar to rugby.

Well, American Football originated from rugby, but you are right, it's quite different nowadays...

For me, Rugby is mutch better to watch. It's very dinamic! Better than Football (soccer)!

Archived