Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feheva

New Sports To Be Introduced

Usually the choice of the host city indicates what new sports will be introduced for the Games.

Which new sports do you think will be introduced for Rio 2016?

I think it could be Surfing...

No it doesn't. London experienced a retraction of sports, not an addition. And the sports that could be added to the 2016 games are golf and rugby 7's. They will go before a vote of the IOC in the next couple days.

No it doesn't. London experienced a retraction of sports, not an addition. And the sports that could be added to the 2016 games are golf and rugby 7's. They will go before a vote of the IOC in the next couple days.

Oh well... :(

Altough I love rugby, I think these two sports have nothing to do with Rio... Surfing in a olympics in Rio would be amazing!

I think you have a wrong idea of the IOC, Feheva

The times that a hosting city can introduce sports is long time gone

I think it was done for Sydney 2000 wasn't it? They were even considering dancing as a olympic sport...

My mistake... Sorry!

the last time that such things happened was in 1988 with Taekwondo in Seoul - Taekwondo is a korean martial arts

even China wasn't able to introduce a new sports = they would love to add Wushu, which is a famous chinese martial art, but the IOC denied

The COB probably will try introduce Futsal, or Beach Soccer or Jiu-Jitsu

Futsal and surfing would be great!

the last time that such things happened was in 1988 with Taekwondo in Seoul - Taekwondo is a korean martial arts

even China wasn't able to introduce a new sports = they would love to add Wushu, which is a famous chinese martial art, but the IOC denied

Actually in Barcelona 92 they have introduced as sports demonstration the basque pelota and roller hockey.

Actually in Barcelona 92 they have introduced as sports demonstration the basque pelota and roller hockey.

... yes, but that were "demonstration sports" - the winners were not Olympic champions...

Surfing!!!! Yes!

Imagine the logistical nightmare for future bids........! :P

I can see it now. Poor Chicago trying to pass off Lake Michigan as a viable place for a surfing venue.

the last time that such things happened was in 1988 with Taekwondo in Seoul

What about Atlanta with Softball and Beach Volleyball ?

Is Beach Volleyball a typical sport in Georgia?

Not in Georgia specifically, but in USA yes.

I forgot to mention Mountain Bike, also introduced at Atlanta Games.

Again, not a typical sport in Georgia, but in USA yes.

Sorry golfers I do not want to see golf added to it. There is already a Golf Championship. And some tournament every week, moth etc..

Not in Georgia specifically, but in USA yes.

I forgot to mention Mountain Bike, also introduced at Atlanta Games.

Again, not a typical sport in Georgia, but in USA yes.

mmmh maybe, but the IOC has changed its policy - it adds only sports, which they want...

sorry guys, maybe my posts sound a little bit too harsh.

The introduction of a sport is matter of the IOC - it has nothing to do with the hosting city...

In the past some sports were added upon instigation of hosting cities (countries) - e.g. Judo in 1964 (Japanese martial art) or Taekwondo in 1988 (Korean martial art).

There are strict rules which the sports have to fulfil before the sports can be recommended to the IOC executive board by the international sport associations - then the IOC executive decides which sport is recommended to be introduced by the IOC. Golf and Rugby 7 are recomended at the moment and it will be soon decided if one, both or none is introduced.

Taekwondo was not added in 1988, it was just a demo sport: it became a medal sport in 2000.

We could still see Futsal or Beach Soccer in 2016, since they would be disciplines, not sports. However, one major hurdle is the fact that neither Futsal or Beach Soccer (and, for that one, its a crying shame :P) are both underdeveloped at the world level.

How is the voting going to work for the new sports? Since they eliminated the requirement for a 2/3 majority, and made it only a simple majority, it seems to complicate it a bit. CitiusAltiusFortius says that they will decide if one, both or neither will be introduced, so how will the vote be carried out? Do they vote first on Golf, then on Rugby? And then if both get a 51% majority, or more, then do they vote next on the question "Should both be included or just one?" And then if the answer is just one, do they then vote on the question, "Okay, which one?". Seems like a lot of different voting hoops to jump through.

No, they are seperate votes that have no barring on each other. If both receive a majority they are both in.

sorry guys, maybe my posts sound a little bit too harsh.

The introduction of a sport is matter of the IOC - it has nothing to do with the hosting city...

In the past some sports were added upon instigation of hosting cities (countries) - e.g. Judo in 1964 (Japanese martial art) or Taekwondo in 1988 (Korean martial art).

There are strict rules which the sports have to fulfil before the sports can be recommended to the IOC executive board by the international sport associations - then the IOC executive decides which sport is recommended to be introduced by the IOC. Golf and Rugby 7 are recomended at the moment and it will be soon decided if one, both or none is introduced.

CAF's answer is correct. We can discuss all we want about past history, and about which sports are the most Brazilian. (Surfing would indeed be pretty cool.)

The fact is that the only possible sports are Golf and Rugby 7s.