Will Tokyo Bid Again?

I hope so. The more the merrier. I'm very much open to supporting anyone in the next bid cycle and I disagree tha Cape Town has it sewn up for 2020. I think the fact that the next election will be one year prior to WC 2014 and three years prior to the 2016 SOGs could dent another new frontier's hopes, especially if Brazil find deadlines are slipping (I'm not saying that will happen, but I'm not saying it won't either).

well one thing is very probable for Rio 2016 . Joao Havelange Stadium will probably be complete before London's main Stadium . The only thing that has to be done is putting in 15000 seats after concrete platforms are added to the support structure.

The Rio 2016 team is chopping at the bit wanting to get things done with the first meeting with the IOc having the Words from the IOC "relax" . We could see a very quick process with there capital phase as there indeed is not much of a capital phase there and it is very well defined.

Who knows Rio 2016 starts the process ending ahead of the World cup and you may see Capetown become the favorite based on Frontiers showing great ability in the Capital Phase.

Jim Jones

I'm surprised Czar took the riask of reminding us of his "You are all so clueless .... 2016 has been ordained for Tokyo. The decision has been made" posts. The good thing is he must only have a brief window every two months when he's allowed out of his plastic bubble to type.

2020 has the timing set-up perfectly for Tokyo/Japan (I still hold hopes Osaka could be their second summer host ... but that's just my dream) - especially if the 2018 vote swings to Europe. I'd love to see it. I'd be right behind a Japan candidate this time round.

I'm far more convinced Rio has knocked Capetown out of the running totally for 2020, rather than smoothed its path. The earliset I can se Capetown now is 2024, and probably 2028 or later.

I understand what you are saying with back to back frontiers but I think two things could play out here in favor of Capetown sooner then later .

A. How well South Africa does with the 2010 world cup and B. what progress Rio 2016 makes by the time of the vote in 2013 or 2017 when the results of 2016 are known. If Beijing 2008 was a failure I don't think Rio 2016 would be celebrating a bid victory. Beijing 2008 showed an emerging nation could do it.

Rio compared to most any place that have hosted in the past will have year round construction with maximum efficiency possible . Beijing , Moscow, Montreal

and even mild weather London don't have that advantage.

If Rio 2016 is running well in the capital projects phase without a drone of doom stories then the membership may say 'Why not Capetown now while we can host the Olympic soccer tournament with relatively New Fifa Stadiums in the mix' The IOC could give Jacques Rogge the second part of his desired legacy going out the door to retirement.

jim jones

I understand what you are saying with back to back frontiers but I think two things could play out here in favor of Capetown sooner then later .

A. How well South Africa does with the 2010 world cup and B. what progress Rio 2016 makes by the time of the vote in 2013 or 2017 when the results of 2016 are known. If Beijing 2008 was a failure I don't think Rio 2016 would be celebrating a bid victory. Beijing 2008 showed an emerging nation could do it.

Rio compared to most any place that have hosted in the past will have year round construction with maximum efficiency possible . Beijing , Moscow, Montreal

and even mild weather London don't have that advantage.

If Rio 2016 is running well in the capital projects phase without a drone of doom stories then the membership may say 'Why not Capetown now while we can host the Olympic soccer tournament with relatively New Fifa Stadiums in the mix' The IOC could give Jacques Rogge the second part of his desired legacy going out the door to retirement.

jim jones

JJ,

I think the example of China doesn't apply to Brazil or South Africa because of the political system. I don't think anyone ever thought Beijing would not be able to build everything. Anyone who had been to China before the decision would realize that they would deliver everything on-time.

In China, when the government decides to put down a big residential area and build an Olympic park, you know they will do it. If people object being moved from their homes, they will have no way of stopping it.

In Brazil, the government must take the due legal process to remove homes and build things. Besides, the political will to proceed with the preparations can be affected by both the outcome of elections and political fights between the different levels of governments fighting for the spotlight of hosting the event. Those were a big reality in the preparations for the PanAm Games and they were very messy. There is still the risk of things getting derailed during the preparations, but it is becoming very unlikely.

However, I agree that if the WC 2010 goes well and if Rio is also able to do all the work on time, Capetown might be boosted. I think FIFA 2013 Confederations Cup might be very important to this assessment, because it will show in which stage of preparation Brazil will be in. The big question for South Africa is whether its economy can support the needed investment.

I agree..... The 2013 will be the key date... Including South Africa intentions for a SOG...

South Africa need to pray a lot for Brazil, asking all the forces to help Brazil to deliver good WC and SOG...

The big question for South Africa is whether its economy can support the needed investment.

I don't think this is a question anymore. Currently, South Africa has three of the world's largest capital projects underway: The Gautrain (the world's largest train / public transit project) and Kusile and Medupi Power stations. Granted, these are all over budget, but the government has proven they remain commited to capital investment.

In addition, with FIFA 2010, major transit expansions (Rea Vaya in Cape Town and Durban), new airports (KSIA and CTIA) and stadiums (in both Durban and Cape Town) are already completed.

I think the only remaining critical questions about South Africa are:

- How will the World Cup turn out?

- Which city will bid?

Indications are the answer to the former are pretty good (the Confed Cup was a huge success).

I read that there will be a joint bid for Nagasaki and Hiroshima. Maybe Tokyo will bid for Youth Games instead.

I really don't know how Rome can stage a 21st century SOG. I mean the friggin' city is madness what with its ruins and crazy streets--not to mention if the Vatican to decides to make a Holy Year. Oy!!

Remember they topped the eval report, ahead of Athens, for 2004. The Foro Italico's still in pretty good shape and wouldn't need too much work to upgrade for an SOGs. Rome IMO is about as low risk a candidate as you could ask for.

Archived