Will Tokyo Bid Again?

I hope so. The more the merrier. I'm very much open to supporting anyone in the next bid cycle and I disagree tha Cape Town has it sewn up for 2020. I think the fact that the next election will be one year prior to WC 2014 and three years prior to the 2016 SOGs could dent another new frontier's hopes, especially if Brazil find deadlines are slipping (I'm not saying that will happen, but I'm not saying it won't either).

I hope so. The more the merrier. I'm very much open to supporting anyone in the next bid cycle and I disagree tha Cape Town has it sewn up for 2020. I think the fact that the next election will be one year prior to WC 2014 and three years prior to the 2016 SOGs could dent another new frontier's hopes, especially if Brazil find deadlines are slipping (I'm not saying that will happen, but I'm not saying it won't either).

I agree.

With 2012 going to Europe (London) and 2016 going to South America (Rio), 2020 could be wide open.

Also, in 2014 Sochi is hosting the winter games and geographically it represents both Europe and Asia. There's also a strong chance that Nanjing, China or Guadalajara, Mexico will stage the 2014 so this also add more international geo-politics to equation.

I don't personally think Europe will host in 2020 - especially if Munich wins in 2018.

Well, well, what do we have here.

The IOC's vote to award Rio the right to stage the 2016 Olympic games should send a huge message to those bidding cities who rely on arrogance and greed to push themselves into the spotlight. Madrid was a pleasant surprise, Tokyo was an awful surprise, Rio (YAY!) conformed to expectations, and most certainly did Chicago.

Over and over and over again, since the bidding for these games began, the variables were clearly presented on the forums of Gamesbids as to why Chicago was not going to host the 2016 Olympic Games. For those who were not familiar with the stated factors, here they are:

The Fatigue Variable :- The IOC's International Representatives and the entire WORLD I might add, were exhausted to see the games return to the US over and over and over and over again. In the end, like it or not, monotony grows distasteful!

The Global Financial Crisis Variable:- The fact remains that The US is responsible, to a staggeringly significant degree, for the current global economic crisis. Additionally, the "greed" behind Chicago's bid to have the US host the games again most certainly did not set the correct tone to those who were intimately involved in the selection/voting process.

The US Doping Variable:- The undeniable fact remains that everyone is aware of the complete disregard for the ideals of clean participation in sport over the last decade by U.S athletes. Most notably, those in Track and Field. The IOC had to insist that a strong message be sent.

The Salt Lake City Scandal Variable:- which tarnished the Chicago bid and again, was a grotesque compromise of the ideals of the IOC formal bidding process.

The Arrogance Variable:- which was heightened by the over-reliance on the US President Barak Obama. Chicago made the fatal error of using Presedent Obama to gloss over the obvious fissures in their Bid proposal to the IOC, hoping that his universally respected charm and elegance would persuade the voting delegates to hand the games to the US. It was, in every regard, an insulting move against every IOC delegate, and the intelligence each possesses.

The GamesBids Variable:- Believe it or not, every member on Gamesbids in not JUST a fan. Who knows? Maybe, just maybe, when it all comes down to the pith of the whole situation, some members of Gamesbids hold the power in their hands and minds.

I would like, most graciously at this time to thank Rio for an exceptionally stunning bid and to formally congratulate them on bringing the games to South America for the first time. I would also at this time want to suggest that this victory is perhaps the loudest, most unmistakable indirect message to the Canadian City of Toronto to commence working towards an Olympic future. Be assertive not arrogant, be meticulous not dismissive, be determined and your efforts shall not fail. This should most ceratinly apply to Toronto in its bid to stage the 2015 Pan American Games. Scutinize carefully who you choose, if you so choose, to lead your bid. See you in

Vancouver 2010

London 2012

and

Rio 2016!!!!!!!!!!

Well, well, what do we have here.

The IOC's vote to award Rio the right to stage the 2016 Olympic games should send a huge message to those bidding cities who rely on arrogance and greed to push themselves into the spotlight. Madrid was a pleasant surprise, Tokyo was an awful surprise, Rio (YAY!) conformed to expectations, and most certainly did Chicago.

Over and over and over again, since the bidding for these games began, the variables were clearly presented on the forums of Gamesbids as to why Chicago was not going to host the 2016 Olympic Games. For those who were not familiar with the stated factors, here they are:

The Fatigue Variable :- The IOC's International Representatives and the entire WORLD I might add, were exhausted to see the games return to the US over and over and over and over again. In the end, like it or not, monotony grows distasteful!

The Global Financial Crisis Variable:- The fact remains that The US is responsible, to a staggeringly significant degree, for the current global economic crisis. Additionally, the "greed" behind Chicago's bid to have the US host the games again most certainly did not set the correct tone to those who were intimately involved in the selection/voting process.

The US Doping Variable:- The undeniable fact remains that everyone is aware of the complete disregard for the ideals of clean participation in sport over the last decade by U.S athletes. Most notably, those in Track and Field. The IOC had to insist that a strong message be sent.

The Salt Lake City Scandal Variable:- which tarnished the Chicago bid and again, was a grotesque compromise of the ideals of the IOC formal bidding process.

The Arrogance Variable:- which was heightened by the over-reliance on the US President Barak Obama. Chicago made the fatal error of using Presedent Obama to gloss over the obvious fissures in their Bid proposal to the IOC, hoping that his universally respected charm and elegance would persuade the voting delegates to hand the games to the US. It was, in every regard, an insulting move against every IOC delegate, and the intelligence each possesses.

The GamesBids Variable:- Believe it or not, every member on Gamesbids in not JUST a fan. Who knows? Maybe, just maybe, when it all comes down to the pith of the whole situation, some members of Gamesbids hold the power in their hands and minds.

I would like, most graciously at this time to thank Rio for an exceptionally stunning bid and to formally congratulate them on bringing the games to South America for the first time. I would also at this time want to suggest that this victory is perhaps the loudest, most unmistakable indirect message to the Canadian City of Toronto to commence working towards an Olympic future. Be assertive not arrogant, be meticulous not dismissive, be determined and your efforts shall not fail. This should most ceratinly apply to Toronto in its bid to stage the 2015 Pan American Games. Scutinize carefully who you choose, if you so choose, to lead your bid. See you in

Vancouver 2010

London 2012

and

Rio 2016!!!!!!!!!!

I guess you are excoriating the US here, OK. :unsure: I'm not sure I agree with you on several points, except that Rio had the advantage for good reason.

Obviously many around the world (and some in Orland) will always play the "arrogance card" against the US for any future Olympics bid. That's always going to be the easy argument for some. I look at the US and American people as a driving force for good in the world, I just can't help it, I love my country and I think any flaw we have can be improved, and any weakness can be turned into a strength. The games will return when it's time, any US bid will raise the bar for everyone.

Congratulations to RIO, and to Madrid, Japan, it was a great experience for Chicago to bid for the honor.

I think Tokyo will/ should bid again and if PeyongChang doesn't get the winter games .

Totally agree. 2020 could be perfect timing for Tokyo. Especially if Cape Town doesn't bid or the bid just isn't competitive. If Cape Town puts up a solid bid, everybody else should save themselves the trouble and bow out.

Totally agree. 2020 could be perfect timing for Tokyo. Especially if Cape Town doesn't bid or the bid just isn't competitive. If Cape Town puts up a solid bid, everybody else should save themselves the trouble and bow out.

Now from reading other boards it sounds like its going to be an epic battel for 2020 with Africa and a slew of European countries thinking about bidding. Do you think it would be wiser to sit the next one out and go for 24? or would 2020 be there best bet?

Now from reading other boards it sounds like its going to be an epic battel for 2020 with Africa and a slew of European countries thinking about bidding. Do you think it would be wiser to sit the next one out and go for 24? or would 2020 be there best bet?

I like the idea of Tokyo 2020. Mainly because it would be such a stark cultural contrast to Rio. I think the IOC pays attention to these things. Of course, if Pyeongchang wins then Tokyo can forget about it. But if Pyeongchang loses and 2018 is in Europe, then that will weaken the European position for 2020. It all depends on Pyeongchang. I know some say there is no relationship between WOGs and SOGs, but I think there's an exception when it comes to Asia.

Just because the South America card worked for Rio, it doesn't mean that it will work for Cape Town, too. Specially because it's worked for Rio, for years earlier, and some might think it's time for a more traditional city in 2020. Rio had this very strong argument, but also a good-enough bid plan and great speakers and lobbists (Lula, Nuzman, Havelange). We don't know if South Africa will have that too, and they may end up sounding like a badly executed copy of the Rio 2016 strategy.

I think both Madrid and Tokyo should submit a bid. Madrid got 26-32 votes without the latin vote, that probably fully supported Rio. And Tokyo would be a great contrast to the London-Rio sequence, unlike Cape Town (that kinda reminds me of Rio).

I'm surprised Czar took the riask of reminding us of his "You are all so clueless .... 2016 has been ordained for Tokyo. The decision has been made" posts. The good thing is he must only have a brief window every two months when he's allowed out of his plastic bubble to type.

2020 has the timing set-up perfectly for Tokyo/Japan (I still hold hopes Osaka could be their second summer host ... but that's just my dream) - especially if the 2018 vote swings to Europe. I'd love to see it. I'd be right behind a Japan candidate this time round.

I'm far more convinced Rio has knocked Capetown out of the running totally for 2020, rather than smoothed its path. The earliset I can se Capetown now is 2024, and probably 2028 or later.

Interesting aside within an article in Canada's Globe and Daily Mail ...

...Tokyo was a little different. It realized it didn't have a hope in this competition, but was positioning itself for a run at the 2020 Games. If it was humiliated here by a first-round exit, it likely wouldn't enter the 2020 sweepstakes. Give us enough votes to survive the first round, the Tokyo delegation pleaded with delegates, that's all we want.

And they got it.

My contacts are not saying either way right now as Sapporo, Aomori and Nagano are all angling for a WOG run - however the JOC has made it clear that the Summer Games are the priority. Tokyo will watch for what happens in 2018 - the real tell tale sign is the bid offices are not scheduled to close as is the case with most bid cities. They will stay active - and we will see a few more world champ bids coming out of there in the short term.

I dunno. I never really enjoyed my visits to Tokyo. It is just sooooo bewildering a place. And their subways?? I'd probably rather walk than get lost in that system again.

Really? I first came to Tokyo when I was 16 as an exchange student speaking next to no Japanese and I've always found the subway system quite easy to navigate.

Archived