Istanbul 2020

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my personal design which represents Bosphorus bridge binds two continents and 5 continents in different colors with some energy in it.

logolz.png

It looks more like an "H" rather than the bridge...making it look like Histanbul. I think the East-West bridge idea is already well established in the IOC voters' mind. It should be a more exciting appeal than that: the exoticness of the city is what a bid should be riding on now.

There is no official announcement and now i'm afraid government will want to focus on Euro 2020 and Expo 2020 in Izmir which will be relatively much more easier to bid i guess and there's bigger chance to win with those bids. :(

I thought the prime minister already confirmed a bid from Istanbul last month?

I thought the prime minister already confirmed a bid from Istanbul last month?

thy did... from the presidents and sports and youth ministers mouths its confirmed and waiting for prime ministers... but no fresh news yet..

what about these two? im really good at finding pics and copy paste on paint ahahah :) but cant make the colours as i want :/ need to learn photoshop or need someone for me to do it:D

1- Cintemani an old turkish pattern style means power wealth and the homeland. also for istanbul means the 3 empires 3 mileniums and cross point of 3 continents ( not meeting) but i like to use the colours in turquase and red instead of maroon...

wqpliw.png

2- dont remember where i found the form but change it into 2020 and istanbul write down..

jpzmuo.jpg

It will be a Mediterranean battle vs. a "tsunami-pity-me" bid by Tokyo.

Istanbul will split the Asian votes w/ Tokyo in the opening; while Madrid and Rome will split the Euro votes.

So the Americas,' African and Oceania votes will decide 2020. Really a good time for a US 2022 candidate city to horsetrade votes!!

It will be a Mediterranean battle vs. a "tsunami-pity-me" bid by Tokyo.

Istanbul will split the Asian votes w/ Tokyo in the opening; while Madrid and Rome will split the Euro votes.

So the Americas,' African and Oceania votes will decide 2020. Really a good time for a US 2022 candidate city to horsetrade votes!!

Turkey is an European country as far as IOC politics are concerned. Besides Istanbul is for sure in Europe.

Istanbul will have an impact both on European and Asian (islamic) votes. Not to mention their good rapport with the islamic nations of Africa.

I'm really curious to see Istanbul's plan. How much they've changed it from their previous 4 failed attempts.

According to sercan on SSC "the Olympic park and stadium won't be changed" i.e. still Ataturk Stadium. Though apparently, they will be adding another tier to the stadium behind the goals to increase capacity to 90k (this plan is taken directly from their failed Euro 2016 bid).

55h10i.jpg

i really like the stadium in that way too..

29069_113486998688582_107385299298752_87007_6316364_n.jpg

but still no news about the plans. may be if i can go to olympic house in istanbul i can have some information. i did some mailings months ago and they said can share some info with me. but far away it is :S

another olympic sports hall is being built right now next to Sinan Erdem Hall which will create a great cluster here, Ataköy Cluster. This area has also a beach and a possible triathlon course and other outdoor events. There is an existing swimming pool here with 5000 capacity which will be probabbly assigned to Water Polo competitions. This new one is being built right now for 2012 World Indorr Athletics Championships and it may be used for volleyball or another indoor event. It has the capacity of 7500 seats. I think we will have a higher grade than ever in terms of venues. Most of them will have had organized at least one Worldwide event till 2013 which is great. European Swimming Championships was organized at that pool in 2001 btw.

asdadsdsds.jpg

you can also see the other pictures here

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.132498240143146.21182.132162130176757

btw this area is already connected with light rail, metrobus and suburban rail. :)

According to sercan on SSC "the Olympic park and stadium won't be changed" i.e. still Ataturk Stadium. Though apparently, they will be adding another tier to the stadium behind the goals to increase capacity to 90k (this plan is taken directly from their failed Euro 2016 bid).

55h10i.jpg

Well, if I remember correctly, Ataturk Olympic Stadium was quite a ways from the city, & was critiqued in the 2008 Evaluation Report for the distance. I was trying to find out the exact distance online but couldn't find any. If it's more than 10 miles, I can see this being a problem again, & especially if transportation networks haven't been adequately upgraded &/or added.

Emre, perhaps you can fill us in on some of these details. How far, exactly, is Ataturk Olympic Park & Stadium from Downtown Istanbul & how good are it's transport connections. And can you tell us, at least for me (& for some of are other American friends) , in MILES, please. Since that metric stuff is so across the pond. :P Thanx. :)

All I can find online is that the park is located in Ikitelli, but nothing about distance. Can't even find much about Ikitelli, either.

Let me give you some information than :)

We presume that there will be 3 clusters: Olympic Park, Old City and Ataköy Cluster. Taksim might be called downtown because it will be the main hotel area. Olympic Village will be in Olmypic Park btw. There is no "real" downtown in Istanbul. Because it is so huge there are like 5-6 main centers in the city. But Taksim is the main connection point of everything, it is like the heart of the city.

This is the main map: At the top Olympic Park, in the very south Ataköy and Old City just next to it. Taksim is just on the right close to Golden Horn.

mapistanbulbig.gif

Olympic Park-Taksim: 26,4 kms this two centers are already connected with light rail and tram. Olympic Park metro will be finished at the end of this year.

Olympic Park-Ataköy: 18 kms and these two has direct connections with light rail, metrobus and suburban rail

Olympic Park-Old City: 20 kms this cluster has also rail, metro and tram connection with main center.

Ataköy - Taksim: 18 kms

Old City - Taksim: 5 kms

Three clusters and main hotel area(Taksim) all have rail system which is connected to each other. They are developed right now with new lines. Rail system was not developed like this at our last bid.

Ataköy-Old City: 16 kms and there is direct rail system connection

you can see page 20 of this thread I posted a detailed infastructure plan of Istanbul and also some venues.

also there will be a new highway at the very north of the city which will be the expansion of Third bridge in the north. This highway was planned to use as Olympic Lane in our 2008 plan.

Archived