Syria cost Instanbul votes: IOC members

However, having edged out Madrid in a run-off vote after they both tied in the first round behind Tokyo, they lost heavily in the second round garnering just 36 IOC members votes to the 60 received by Tokyo.

There had been concerns that Istanbul could suffer from the fallout over the Syrian conflict, which has seen over 500,000 refugees cross over into Turkish territory, although several members denied it would.

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayip Erdogan has also been one of the most bullish in demanding that bombing raids be carried out against the Syrian regime after they allegedly used chemical weapons against their own citizens.

Erdogan, who also harmed the bid in IOC members' eyes after his security forces used a heavy hand against anti-government protestors in June, was present for the final presentation in Buenos Aires and said sport and peace were inextricably linked.

Longtime IOC member Prince Albert of Monaco said the unstable situation in the region harmed Istanbul's cause.

"The geopolitical situation certainly played a role," he told AFP.

"IOC members prefer surefire bets... Istanbul like the others was a really good candidacy.

"However, Tokyo offered a safe pair of hands. There is no problem with financing the Games, neither for the construction nor the organisation."

IOC vice-president Thomas Bach, favoured to succeed Jacques Rogge when he steps down as IOC president on Tuesday, agreed that the instability hurt Istanbul's chances.

"There you have one candidature addressing more the sense of tradition and stability and another candidature addresses the longing for new shores," said the 59-year-old German lawyer.

"This we have seen in the past also with different bids and this time the IOC members -- in a fragile world -- have decided in favour of tradition and stability."

Bach, an Olympic gold medalist in the team foil fencing event at the 1976 Games, said that he and his colleagues had to take a long term view of how the world would look in 2020.

"We live in a world in which it is difficult to predict how it will look like in three months from now," he said.

"The members had to take the very difficult decision on how the world will look like in seven years from now."

Hasan Arat, the tireless and dynamic president of the Istanbul bid, said he and his team were extremely disappointed but it had been a "fantastic learning experience" and he took great pleasure out of another consequence of the campaign.

"We may not have won the Games, but we united the nation. And for that, we can always be proud," he said.

Source

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, after having experienced Istanbul first hand, I have to say it is a fantastic and exciting city. They have some room for improvement, but given that the 2020 Games are 8 years away, those little i

Cross my fingers for Istanbul!!!

its out of topic but very important for istanbullers.. finally its spring and millions of tulips blossomed all around the city. this flower is so important n our culture even has a period name in Ott

Syria cost Instanbul votes: IOC members

"

Hasan Arat, the tireless and dynamic president of the Istanbul bid, said he and his team were extremely disappointed but it had been a "fantastic learning experience" and he took great pleasure out of another consequence of the campaign.

"We may not have won the Games, but we united the nation. And for that, we can always be proud," he said.

Source

thts tottally true.... im proud of istanbul team they did the best even syria, erdo─čan and government lol

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

n

Interesting. If Erdogan falls and came a new leader...

Erdogan wont fall.. he will come out stronger by each of the 3 elections in 2014-2015 (regional, president en general elections)

He is still is THE BELOVED MAN in Turkey, in the Middle east & in Muslim-Asia..

So you will see it only in your dreams that he falls.. He gave the next task to deveolope even a better and superb Istanbul 2024 bid..

He IS a revolutionary person for whole the islam and Mohammedan world.. He will lift Turkey up to a ulitimate high point in his goal towards 2023...

And all the black progapangda towards him all nothing but a bigg lie that the media world and other elements are producing..

SPIEGEL.DE is the big virus here .. and other media and persons and associations world-widet who hate Erdogan..

They only make the Turkish prime minister and the Turkish people stronger and stronger and they consolide a more powerfull Turkey and Turkish Istanbul bid..;

==>> ISTANBUL TRANSPORT TOWARDS 2019; http://www.istanbulunmetrosu.com/istanbulda-rayli-sistemler.html [780 KM]

all plans are made thanks to our beloved world-leader :wub:

istanbul's new bid towards 2024 will be a real jewel ;)

Well, whatever you think of Erdogan, the IOC will see this as a bullet dodged. Could you imagine the difficulties that they'd be in now if they were trying to work with this lot?

fatixx - here is a handy hint - nauseating jingoism isn't a good look, and that rhetoric you just displayed will do any future Istanbul bid damage. The development of a fairer, freer and more democratic Turkey (probably without Erdogan) is a good fit for the IOC - and not the political agenda of an individual-- Especially after the headache Putin has caused the IOC over the past 12 months.

I would love Istanbul to host the Olympics, but frankly the IOC is an organisation which views situations largely through the lens of western values, and an egotist like Erdogan - who frankly lacks the power Putin wields - is going to do Istanbul's Olympic hopes more damage.

Istanbul is out until 2032 at earliest - and this is coming from an Istanbul optimist.

• Like 1

n Erdogan wont fall.. he will come out stronger by each of the 3 elections in 2014-2015 (regional, president en general elections)He is still is THE BELOVED MAN in Turkey, in the Middle east & in Muslim-Asia..So you will see it only in your dreams that he falls.. He gave the next task to deveolope even a better and superb Istanbul 2024 bid.. He IS a revolutionary person for whole the islam and Mohammedan world.. He will lift Turkey up to a ulitimate high point in his goal towards 2023...And all the black progapangda towards him all nothing but a bigg lie that the media world and other elements are producing.. SPIEGEL.DE is the big virus here .. and other media and persons and associations world-widet who hate Erdogan.. They only make the Turkish prime minister and the Turkish people stronger and stronger and they consolide a more powerfull Turkey and Turkish Istanbul bid..; ==>> ISTANBUL TRANSPORT TOWARDS 2019; http://www.istanbulunmetrosu.com/istanbulda-rayli-sistemler.html [780 KM] all plans are made thanks to our beloved world-leader :wub: istanbul's new bid towards 2024 will be a real jewel ;)

Thank you for bringing a more balanced perspective into the debate.

n

Erdogan wont fall.. he will come out stronger by each of the 3 elections in 2014-2015 (regional, president en general elections)

He is still is THE BELOVED MAN in Turkey, in the Middle east & in Muslim-Asia..

So you will see it only in your dreams that he falls.. He gave the next task to deveolope even a better and superb Istanbul 2024 bid..

He IS a revolutionary person for whole the islam and Mohammedan world.. He will lift Turkey up to a ulitimate high point in his goal towards 2023...

And all the black progapangda towards him all nothing but a bigg lie that the media world and other elements are producing..

SPIEGEL.DE is the big virus here .. and other media and persons and associations world-widet who hate Erdogan..

They only make the Turkish prime minister and the Turkish people stronger and stronger and they consolide a more powerfull Turkey and Turkish Istanbul bid..;

==>> ISTANBUL TRANSPORT TOWARDS 2019; http://www.istanbulunmetrosu.com/istanbulda-rayli-sistemler.html [780 KM]

all plans are made thanks to our beloved world-leader :wub:

istanbul's new bid towards 2024 will be a real jewel ;)

Thanks for the perspective. Don't worry, I don't care if Erdogan falls or no. After all is the Turkish people fate not mine. 2020 was the bullet of proof and now with Sochi headache, can make a difference there.

About 2024 bid, if this is the beginning of the perfect plan, Istanbul is doom.

Istanbul won't get an Olympic Games for a long long time. My London deserved to win 2012. Tokyo deserved to win 2020. Rome will get 2024. Durban will get 2028. I don't think Istanbul will get a Games until at least 2040 in my opinion, if that.

Luckily it is just your own lopsided opinion.

London didn't 'deserve' to win 2012. Nor Tokyo for 2020. What does that even mean? How was it more deserving than the other bid cities?

Well my London had a technically strong Bid. We regenerated a area of our city, we were friendly to the environment, our construction was on time, and most of us wanted the Games. Tokyo was by far better than Istanbul, and I still say Madrid was better than Istanbul. Istanbul has too many problems with Syria Conflict E.T.C.

Well my London had a technically strong Bid. We regenerated a area of our city, we were friendly to the environment, our construction was on time, and most of us wanted the Games. Tokyo was by far better than Istanbul, and I still say Madrid was better than Istanbul. Istanbul has too many problems with Syria Conflict E.T.C.

Well, Paris had the best technical bid with the high qualifications. Even Madrid had higher qualifications than London.

Well, Paris had the best technical bid with the high qualifications. Even Madrid had higher qualifications than London.

Incorrect. Our Bid was the best, hence why we won. Hence why Madrid and Paris can't get the Games.

Don't get me wrong, London was excellent, but don't rewrite the events

Incorrect. Our Bid was the best, hence why we won. Hence why Madrid and Paris can't get the Games.

Wrong, revise the qualifications. Paris and Madrid had best scores that London especially in some strategic areas. London victory was also for the impact and the emotion of the vote. Especially in time of lobbying. Different matters

Explain how London's on time construction schedule helped the city win the bid back in 2005, before construction began)? :huh:

London's bid, if anything, was the most like Istanbul's compared to some other 2012 (bar NY). It required a huge amount of construction, compared to Paris or Moscow, for instance.

None of your reasons explain why London, in any way, 'deserved' 2012 over any other city. The event would have been and equally good fit in Paris.

• Like 1

No, he's not incorrect. London's technical report was weaker than Madrid's and Paris' - that's undeniable. Find them, download them, and have a read of them. London won because of an exciting but riskier bid concept, promises of an athletics legacy to replace Crystal Palace and a youth orientated message which struck a chord. Tokyo won because it had a great bid based around a large metropolis with many existing venues, and because its rivals both had technical, political and economic issues.

'Deserved' is a tricky word which doesn't mean much. Nobody really "deserves" the Olympics.

Edited by Rob.

Explain how London's on time construction schedule helped the city win the bid back in 2005, before construction began)? :huh:

London's bid, if anything, was the most like Istanbul's compared to some other 2012 (bar NY). It required a huge amount of construction, compared to Paris or Moscow, for instance.

None of your reasons explain why London, in any way, 'deserved' 2012 over any other city. The event would have been and equally good fit in Paris.

Exactly. I know he's British and this forum love London 2012 -I did-, but seriously, don't blind ourself when the facts are differents.

In case of interest, this is a link of all the brochure of the bids: http://web.archive.org/web/20070809140254/http://multimedia.olympic.org/pdf/en_report_952.pdf

Also, when the IOC announces the shortlist, they came with the scores:

Paris - 8.5

Madrid - 8.3

London - 7.6

New York City - 7.5

Moscow - 6.5