Sign in to follow this  
emre

Istanbul 2020

Possibly. But it just seems awfully strange to have seen it. And I wouldn't like to say that it was a "creative error" because it would've been soooooooo stupid.

You'd be surprised. Maybe some dummy couldn't tell the difference between the skyline of Istanbul and Moscow?

What does Istanbul have to do with Sochi? Was it just a cutaway? How strange.

USOC is probably staging a base camp to recover from jetlag and for last training in one of the ski resort in Turkey ?

What does Istanbul have to do with Sochi? Was it just a cutaway? How strange.

Is it just me or has Baron lost it recently? :ph34r::lol::P

I know this article must skirt the boundaries of relevance to most - but for Australians and Istanbul it is somewhat significant. Istanbul is about to become the only European city accessible by direct flight from Australia. While currently airlines like Qantas and BA offer 'direct' flights from most of our major cities to major airports like Heathrow and Frankfurt, they all make a stop over in places like Singapore, Hong Kong and Dubai.

Turkish Airlines plans to fly direct Sydney-Istanbul from 2014, non-stop--- making it the second longest flight on the market after Singapore Airlines' New York-Singapore route.

I can see this being very successful, and it would mean Istanbul becoming the European gateway for Australian travellers. A friend of mine in the travel industry also has heard a credible rumour that Qantas budget subsidiary Jetstar is also looking at flights from Australia to Istanbul - the proximity to the Greek Islands and the Turkish Coast/Gallipoli would fit in well with their leisure tourist market.

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/blogs/travellers-check/australia-to-europe-nonstop-flights-theyre-just-around-the-corner-20130603-2nkyf.html#poll

• Like 1

I feel like a bringer-of-bad-news lately on this forum :(

Empty U20 seats can harm Turkey's 2020 Olympic bid

ISTANBUL (AP) — The record-low attendance at the Under-20 World Cup could damage Turkey's chances of hosting major tournaments, including the 2020 Olympics and the 2024 European Championship, FIFA said on Friday.

With only Saturday's final and third-place match remaining, the turnout has averaged only 5,230 spectators over 50 matches, by far the lowest figure in the 36-year history of the competition. The next lowest was an average of 9,667 in the Netherlands eight years ago.

Jim Boyce, the chairman of the FIFA tournament organizing committee, called the many empty seats "one negative point."

"Turkey has proved that they can organize very smoothly from all other aspects of a major competition," Boyce said. "So I honestly hope that does not have an adverse effect on the future. But it is still disappointing."

http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article/Empty-U20-seats-can-harm-Turkey-s-2020-Olympic-bid-4661419.php

Hmm. It's hard to know how seriously this should be taken.

Empty seats are never a good thing. However, that could be due to the organizers' failure to properly promote the event -- something that would be unlikely to happen with an Olympic Games.

I would be much more concerned if the event had been well publicized and still failed to attract interest. That would suggest that the Turkish people are not interested in attending live sport and would certainly turn off the IOC. If I were a voting IOC member, I would want more information about WHY there are empty seats.

I'd agree, this isn't a serious blow to Istanbul like the reaction to the protests or the drug scandal. And having been to Istanbul and been on a tram cram-packed with football fans late in the evening (to the point where it was a little bit scary), I know Turkey would fill stadiums for matches normally. It's an odd one this.

But it did come up in my Twitter feed today and thought it was newsworthy enough to post here.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if FIFA overpriced it. South Africans weren't massively impressed with FIFA's centrally managed ticketing system during their World Cup either iirc (a system I believe to be managed by Blatter's nephew).

Edited by RobH

I feel like a bringer-of-bad-news lately on this forum :(

Empty U20 seats can harm Turkey's 2020 Olympic bid

ISTANBUL (AP) — The record-low attendance at the Under-20 World Cup could damage Turkey's chances of hosting major tournaments, including the 2020 Olympics and the 2024 European Championship, FIFA said on Friday.

With only Saturday's final and third-place match remaining, the turnout has averaged only 5,230 spectators over 50 matches, by far the lowest figure in the 36-year history of the competition. The next lowest was an average of 9,667 in the Netherlands eight years ago.

Jim Boyce, the chairman of the FIFA tournament organizing committee, called the many empty seats "one negative point."

"Turkey has proved that they can organize very smoothly from all other aspects of a major competition," Boyce said. "So I honestly hope that does not have an adverse effect on the future. But it is still disappointing."

http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article/Empty-U20-seats-can-harm-Turkey-s-2020-Olympic-bid-4661419.php

And the most successful staging of that tournament was in Canada ;)

Anyways all of these negatives have probably cast the final nail on the coffin imo. Istanbul has to reconsider now because this was arguably their best chance to win.

• Like 1

Don't just write off the Istanbul Bid yet!

Their new website is much more impressive and the renderings of the venues very nice!

A job well done!

It might very well be Istanbul 2020 after all!

One supporter of Istanbul 2020 may be UEFA....I can just see in 2024...when UEFA go back to the normal format of one hosting nation. They would be probably be keen to have Turkey freed up for a Euro 2024...otherwise I can just see the same thing happening again, where Turkey will have to step back for another Olympic bid...only of course if Istanbul doesn't finally give up its Olympic dream after 2020..and other big nations like Germany, France, England..dont step up to host another Euro event.

full 2020 istanbul clip

also as i remember athens world athletics champ was empty, government bring students from schools to full the stadia before 2004 voting...not football but athletics the heart of the games....

Istanbul 2020 Opening Ceremony would maximize the legacy for the city

(SFC) In precisely one month, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) will be making the selection of the host city for the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games. If Istanbul is the selected in September over Madrid or Tokyo, it will be seven years before the Opening Ceremony of the Istanbul 2020 Olympic Games takes place.

“So what better moment to introduce to you some more details of Istanbul 2020’s ceremonies concept, and what that concept promises for the future of Istanbul and its citizens?” said Istanbul 2020 Chairman, Hasan Arat.

A dedicated ceremonies stadium for Istanbul 2020, the Bosphorous Stadium would become the first in Games history. The stadium will be a horseshoe configuration, which would be a classical amphitheatre with cutting-edge specifications and be able to seat 70,000. The most exciting thing the stadium has to offer is the view it will provide. The bowl of the stadium will look out across to the Bosphorus strait towards the Golden Horn. Also, Istanbul has some iconic architecture to offer, such as the Blue Mosque, Galata Tower, and the Hagia Sophia, not to mention the amazing and breathtaking location of the stadium on the waterfront, giving plenty of opportunity to activate the waterfront itself in some creative ways.

The Bosphorus Stadium, and the rest of the Port Cluster, fit perfectly with the government’s long-term vision for the development of the city. Being a part of Istanbul’s most exciting regeneration project, it rivals the 1992 Games when Barcelona opened up the Mediterranean coast. Haydarpasa Port will go through a major redevelopment, which will reclaim the waterfront, transforming an outdated industrial area into a state-of-the-art, 58-hectare sports, leisure and entertainment complex. The complex will have many new features that include parks, plazas and promenades, cafés, remediated green spaces, and a breakwater walkway. The Bosphorus Stadium itself will become a much needed entertainment venue, as its capacity will be reduced to around 20,000.

“Not only would it deliver an immersive, unforgettable experience of a brand new culture for the Olympic Movement, it would have immense symbolic power. At the Opening Ceremony, the continents would come together physically and figuratively for an unprecedented celebration of harmony in diversity,” Hasan Arat stated.

The ceremonies have been created carefully to maximize the visual impact of the city’s spectacular natural and architectural beauty. A hub will be positioned in the heart of the historic area for Istanbul as a supplementary broadcasting hub to the main IBC/MPC that will be located in the Olympic Park. The hub will be looking out over the Bosphorus towards the Asian side of the city along with the Bosphorus Stadium. Istanbul 2020 has guaranteed that a global audience of billions will be captured by cinematic moments of Olympic history.

Hasan Arat said, “The Istanbul 2020 Bid Committee invites you to discover our vision for an Opening Ceremony that will cross continents and cultures, nations and generations.”

http://www.sportsfeatures.com/olympicsnews/story/50536/istanbul-2020-opening-ceremony-would-maximize-the-legacy-for-the-city

Istanbul would still be the bid I could most get excited about. But I just think they've blown their best ever chance to land it this time.

The Istanbul bid has had to navigate a truly monumental PR challenge, which rightfully raised many questions about timing. However, I believe the city is capable, is a legitimate option for the IOC for 2020. I still believe in the allure of the bid, and the real possibility it still has a big chance. I believe Istanbul has stepped back into the position of the dark horse. Tokyo chances have certainly improved, but it is by no means in a position to rest on its laurels- Istanbul is an extremely enegmatic option. To many, this is attractive - Rio and Beijing are testament to this.

The Istanbul bid has had to navigate a truly monumental PR challenge, which rightfully raised many questions about timing. However, I believe the city is capable, is a legitimate option for the IOC for 2020. I still believe in the allure of the bid, and the real possibility it still has a big chance. I believe Istanbul has stepped back into the position of the dark horse. Tokyo chances have certainly improved, but it is by no means in a position to rest on its laurels- Istanbul is an extremely enegmatic option. To many, this is attractive - Rio and Beijing are testament to this.

But homosexuality is NOT encouraged in Istanbul.

It's not illegal, either. In fact, its comparatively more relaxed that the rest of Eastern Europe- I went to gay bars in and around Taksim and it was pretty out in the open - obviously like many cities that freedom isn't found everywhere, but I'd put it as more tolerant than other countries found nearby.

lol. u can see the hottest gays in world here inc. me :P:)

Istanbul has a lot of chances to win yet. The IOC is so unpredictable that none of us have total certainty that many underestimate the capability of the Turkish people. What we all are conscious is that the SOG will help to cleanse of prejudices and reinforce confidence all over Turkey.

To be honest, most of us would be delighted to see the full "New Frontier" package in a row (Brazil-Turkey-South Africa) within 4 continents.

lol. u can see the hottest gays in world here inc. me :P:)

Lmfao, I never would have guessed that you liked the big burrito, e! :lol: