Sign in to follow this  
emre

Istanbul 2020

Maybe big screens could be put up in there to watch the action in the various sports in the days in between the ceremonies.

If it's not being used for anything, using it as a "Live Zone" during the games isn't a bad idea!

Maybe big screens could be put up in there to watch the action in the various sports in the days in between the ceremonies.

Very good idea.

Do you know how much of it will be temporary? It sure would set up the stage for an Olympic ceremony like no other ever seen before. I can see much of it taking place on the water itself, as much as within the arena.

While the Istanbul bid is cashed up, and legacy isn't in the forefront of planners than what it is with the other bids (and ones that have come before), it would be useful for them to explicitly outline what the use of the stadium will be, going forward beyond 2020. I think a city of Istanbul's size could no doubt use it well - as an arena (or even new football stadium for the eastern side of the city -versus the existing Ataturk Stadium on the west).

Aside from that, I think the Istanbul bid is coming together now quite nicely. There are logistical challenges to be faced by the city, which they have the resources to deal with (lets remember there is an entire new Bridge and Trans-Bosphorus rail link in the works) so while this 2020 bid is not as compact as the Tokyo bid, or as *sustainable* as the Madrid bid, the prospect of bringing the Olympics to this beautiful, exciting, new, and capable city is a great opportunity for the IOC. It's a good fit.

Thanks for the insight, Rob.

Looking at the venue concept in the other thread, yeah, that would raise logistical concerns. The new stadium plan does wow, but at what price then. Although, since like you said, this plan was known about for a while & the IOC still short-listed it. I wonder if the Evaluation Commission will raise red-flags about the concept now.

Although, I see Equestrian & Sailing being staged nearby & not somewhere else in Turkey, That should be a plus.

And I love the slogan - Bridging Together. Wonderful, and instantly made me think of Istanbul's human and physical geography, and what the Olympic Games themselves represent. If Istanbul wins 2020 - I really hope that this is maintained and used in the Games themselves.

It . Now where would THEIR cauldron go?

I think the most obvious location would be somewhere there on the lower open end of the stadium and close to the water...so it can also be viewed by the heavy maritime traffic on the Bosporus, and easily visible from the Euro side.

Again, despite this gorgeous setting OR rendering, the main thing the Committee has NOT thought out is transporting the 10,000 athletes from the Village & back after the Ceremonies. The Ceremonies stadium is on the Asian side, so that'll be a MAJOR logistical challenge. In addition, you have to factor in the 75,000 spectators, maybe the 12,000 cast and security. And you will have to at least feed the athletes, performers and Security one meal...so something like 23,000 hopefully, warm meals will have to be prepared, served (on site) and the trash collected in that area for the est. 4.5 hours it'll take to assemble, run and disband the Ceremonies. (That'll probably mean having an additional 800 food service personnel there on site for that; whereas, like London, where the Village was 10 mins walking distance, they didn't have to worry about the supper challenge -- even if only box meals AND drinks are to be served. )

They'll have to start the Ceremonies early...in order to get the Athletes back to the Village NOT TOO late.

Of the 3 bids, this will offer the MOST photogenic Ceremonial setting...but the most problematic. I am sure many teams will NOT be happy with the late hour and wait times they will have to endure for the Ceremony. See, that's why they should hold the Paralympics before; so they can learn from the mistakes & problems presented by an earlier Para Opening...and then the actual regular OC will run smoothly -- and not the other way around. But then again, the IOC hasn't asked me.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

yeah there will be a challenge but they're building another underwater tunnell for vehicles and the tunnell ends like by the stadium. So there will be an Olympic Lane between the village and Bosphorus area, they don't have to use the Bosphorus bridge. If they use this express way it will take 15-20 minutes to reach the stadium.

Also Maracana is away from the Olympic Village so they might have the same problem in terms of logistics.

here are the projects. to be honest and objective just i can say WOW. not like atatürk olympic stadium but all others just beautiful

bosphorus stadium

483706_517610814947868_879083178_n.jpg

old city walls and arenas

482135_517610984947851_1447988311_n.jpg

atatürk lympic stadium

579345_517611068281176_127525664_n.jpg

olympic village 1

300273_517611111614505_159527717_n.jpg

lympic park 2

392895_517611224947827_513823278_n.jpg

aqua center inside

7699_517611251614491_1064813317_n.jpg

veledrome

315002_517610951614521_1928936901_n.jpg

archery

527831_517610854947864_537472418_n.jpg

rugby and weightlighting

8549_517610811614535_1010074784_n.jpg

• Like 1

yeah there will be a challenge but they're building another underwater tunnell for vehicles and the tunnell ends like by the stadium. So there will be an Olympic Lane between the village and Bosphorus area, they don't have to use the Bosphorus bridge. If they use this express way it will take 15-20 minutes to reach the stadium.

Also Maracana is away from the Olympic Village so they might have the same problem in terms of logistics.

Exactly. Maybe Istanbul, if chosen, will learn from Rio.

What I meant was, would they have a permanent cauldron at a site that saw no athletics competition whatsoever?

Well, they would need it again for Closing. So just put it on low-burn during the day; and turn it up at night.

WOW! Very impressing, this is really fantastic - I wonder why there is not a single picture in the Bid Book....

WOW! Very impressing, this is really fantastic - I wonder why there is not a single picture in the Bid Book....

the team save their breath for the last metres. running like a marathon rather than a sprint.

and they make good show, opening the metro to olympic village with IOC, release the renders and slogan for the visit. im sure there will be another show tomorrow or tonight before IOC leave Istanbul

In my opinion, they released the best Bid Books - although (and unfortunatky) there were no pictures of the proposed venues.

But there "wording" was quite strong and it is - although it does not seems so on the first look - a very detailed planing.

the team save their breath for the last metres. running like a marathon rather than a sprint.

and they make good show, opening the metro to olympic village with IOC, release the renders and slogan for the visit. im sure there will be another show tomorrow or tonight before IOC leave Istanbul

• Like 1

im getting quite sure about IOC will really attract with the plans, and sure they love the city :)

lets wait and see other cities card Istanbul says REST with this visit.

olympic village 1

300273_517611111614505_159527717_n.jpg

That's really a POOR rendering of an Olympic Village. I mean the Plaza open to the Public (which it will NOT be) is the main feature?? And the buildings are a windowless accordion? How does that show to the IOC members what sort of community will house the Atheltes and how it can become a sustainable community afterwards? I mean this is such an amateur rendition of an OV. If this were the ONLY render Istanbul submitted, I would immediately downgrade them for amateurism and NO VISION whatsoever.

After 4 attempts, and this is the best that Istanbul can submit as the race goes down to the homestretch? :blink: Not a winning hand.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

That's really a POOR rendering of an Olympic Village. I mean the Plaza open to the Public (which it will NOT be) is the main feature?? And the buildings are a windowless accordion? How does that show to the IOC members what sort of community will house the Atheltes and how it can become a sustainable community afterwards? I mean this is such an amateur rendition of an OV. If this were the ONLY render Istanbul submitted, I would immediately downgrade them for amateurism and NO VISION whatsoever.

After 4 attempts, and this is the best that Istanbul can submit as the race goes down to the homestretch? :blink: Not a winning hand.

check the other village renders;) u may find what u r complaining about. this is just the public area main road, not the athletes village