Frankly, Turkey would be stupid to prefer an Olympic bid to the UEFA Euro right now... for the 2012 games they didn't even become a candidate while for Euro 2016 they had only one vote less than France.

Never Istanbul had so many chances to get the Olympics... Euro they can get at any time...

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, after having experienced Istanbul first hand, I have to say it is a fantastic and exciting city. They have some room for improvement, but given that the 2020 Games are 8 years away, those little i

Cross my fingers for Istanbul!!!

its out of topic but very important for istanbullers.. finally its spring and millions of tulips blossomed all around the city. this flower is so important n our culture even has a period name in Ott

Istanbul has the best chance of their life... If they don't get it now, they would wait till the 30's AT LEAST...

I wouldn't go that far ... but it IS the best chance they've ever had so far.

Now, if they would just update the logo .....

I wouldn't go that far ... but it IS the best chance they've ever had so far.

Now, if they would just update the logo .....

Well 2024 its NA/Europe, 2028 Tokyo's... Then 2032 SA, 2036 might be Istanbul... I hope they got it now ;)

Well 2024 its NA/Europe, 2028 Tokyo's... Then 2032 SA, 2036 might be Istanbul... I hope they got it now ;)

We can't predict the 2020 winner with any confidence or certainty, much less which regions will host each individual Olympiad uo to 2036. I think the only thing we can be certain of is the sequence WON'T be as neatly predictable as that.

We can't predict the 2020 winner with any confidence or certainty, much less which regions will host each individual Olympiad uo to 2036. I think the only thing we can be certain of is the sequence WON'T be as neatly predictable as that.

You're right... I had in my sequence SA for 2020 :P but... What is trie is that Istanbul must take this chance ;) otherwise it will be difficult in the future

wow :) that will be an awesome start if we can take the games here...

thus the NOC's plan for the olympic games in istanbul opening ceremony...

the bosphorus will turn into a light heaven.

from marmara to black sea the2 edges of the start will decorated for the games.

. the opening ceremony will be in both asia and europe at the same time for the first and ever in olympic history.

there for all city will enjoy the games and it won't be just in stadium and at least 1m citizens will witness

the logo will released in Canada by the way.

fft5_mf63730.Jpeg

• Like 1

The Istanbul page in Wikipedia is showing this logo

Istanbul-2020.jpg

That's just a fake... first Istanbul is actually just applicant city, so is not allowed to used olympic rings, and should have "applicant city" under the design.

Second, if Istanbul would access the second phase in May, as a candidate city, they should add "Candidate City" in addition to the rings...

well some rumors about the olympic venues of 2020 bidding dossier...

half in Asia

half in Europe

and some next to Ancient Istanbul Walls, in the old Peninsula

and over the bosphorus.

what i had expected :) good

I think people need to just "chill" a little. Im sure the Istanbul team are experienced enough by now to know how soon and when they need to be organised with the logo and the website...we need to give them a little more credit then to label them lazy or etc...Im sure by April there will be a nice logo and the site will be quite professional and organised soon...If they had to have a logo by now and had not done so knowing it will jeopardize the cities chances..then I would think they would need to get their heads checked....seriously..

• 1 month later...

its out of topic but very important for istanbullers.. finally its spring and millions of tulips blossomed all around the city.

this flower is so important n our culture even has a period name in Ottoman history.

here some pics for flower lovers. enjoy

soganlibitkiler.jpgdscn1518xg2.jpgEM%25C4%25B0RGAN+KORUSU+044.jpg51700.jpgfft5_mf369402.Jpeg

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

OK...I haven't been paying close attention, but is Istanbul kinda screwed over now? Are they basically being forced out by Euro2020? Or is that decision yet to come?

BTW...I'll be in Istanbul in 3 days. :)

OK...I haven't been paying close attention, but is Istanbul kinda screwed over now? Are they basically being forced out by Euro2020? Or is that decision yet to come?

welcome :)

any tips u need contact me ;)

Because there are no other Euro bidders, UEFA wants to lock Turkey in quickly, prior to the IOC vote. Rogge has said the IOC will not award Turkey the Games if they are hosting another major event in the same general time-period. I expect Turkey to accept the guaranteed UEFA option and abandon the 2020 Olympic bid. I believe that is the wiser course of action.

UEFA wants to lock Turkey in quickly, prior to the IOC vote

In normal circumstances, I'd completely agree. One bidder, you want to get them tied down, of course, it's common sense.

The implication from a few Turkish people, however, is that the match fixing scandal is an aspect to this UEFA-Turkey-IOC Ménage à trois which we haven't examined nearly enough. It's big-news in Turkey, it's tainting Turkish football to a huge extent, and it's likely UEFA won't be happy with the latest developments coming from the Turkish FA.

At the moment I'm still strongly inclined to believe the common sense conclusion; that UEFA will want to tie Turkey down as hosts as quickly as possible. But I wonder whether this ridiculous bidding saga might take another twist which makes Turkey 2020 unviable because of the match fixing situation.

In normal circumstances, I'd completely agree. One bidder, you want to get them tied down, of course, it's common sense.

The implication from a few Turkish people, however, is that the match fixing scandal is an aspect to this UEFA-Turkey-IOC Ménage à trois which we haven't examined nearly enough. It's big-news in Turkey, it's tainting Turkish football to a huge extent, and it's likely UEFA won't be happy with the latest developments coming from the Turkish FA.

At the moment I'm still strongly inclined to believe the common sense conclusion; that UEFA will want to tie Turkey down as hosts as quickly as possible. But I wonder whether this ridiculous bidding saga might take another twist which makes Turkey 2020 unviable because of the match fixing situation.

Even if that's the case, it's difficult to construe match-fixing as good news for their Olympic prospects. I think their goose is cooked no matter what.

Even if that's the case, it's difficult to construe match-fixing as good news for their Olympic prospects. I think their goose is cooked no matter what.

The match-fixing has nothing to do with Istanbul's Olympic prospects, and wont affect it. Just like the match-fixing scandal in Italy (Juventus) woundnt have affected Rome's bid. I think you're looking at Istanbul's bid through "glass half empty" lenses at every opportunity.

• Like 2