I'm beginning to see good elements, that if packaged correctly, can become that much needed compelling narrative, to put Istanbul in a good positiion come 2013.

Here is my current preference.

1. Istanbul

2. Rome

3. Madrid (not far behind Rome)

4. Tokyo

5. Baku

97. Doha

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, after having experienced Istanbul first hand, I have to say it is a fantastic and exciting city. They have some room for improvement, but given that the 2020 Games are 8 years away, those little i

Cross my fingers for Istanbul!!!

its out of topic but very important for istanbullers.. finally its spring and millions of tulips blossomed all around the city. this flower is so important n our culture even has a period name in Ott

I'm beginning to see good elements, that if packaged correctly, can become that much needed compelling narrative, to put Istanbul in a good positiion come 2013.

Here is my current preference.

1. Istanbul

2. Rome

3. Madrid (not far behind Rome)

4. Tokyo

5. Baku

97. Doha

Pretty likelly:

Istanbul

Madrid

Rome (not far behind Madrid)

Tokyo

Doha

Baku

My preference:

1. Rio (Ops, sorry, still defensive about my city :rolleyes: )

Again

1. Istanbul

2. Rome

3. Doha

4. Baku

---

Tokyo and Madrid I really don't want to see them hosting 2020, still, great contenders will all the ability to host fantastic games, but also same-old-same-old.

danny whats the best season for a rio trip by the way ?:)

I can say the worst time is july-august due more cooler weather and less chance to have a sunny beach day... Also too many clouds (in a city with main touristic atractions in top of mountains this is not nice...

The rest of the year is pretty Ok.

But, in my opinion End of October and November is just great: nice weather, not crowded places and better prices...

wink.gif

Well, now that Istanbul is in the running, it is going to get very interesting for the city and the country of Turkey as a whole.

First, Istanbul is hosting the 2012 IAAF World Indoor Championships in Athletics in March. A step in the right direction to prove to the IOC that the city can handle matters in hosting international sporting events.

As for Turkey as a whole, it wants to host Expo 2020 at a DIFFERENT city. I believe this is acceptable, as opposed to having a city host both the Olympic Games and the Expo at the same time, like Paris 1900 and St. Louis 1904. The IOC did not like that in the past, but having Izmir a possible candidate for Expo 2020 does not make any hosting conflicts to me, anyway. Link: ExpoMuseum: Possible Bids for Expo 2020 -> Promoting a bid for Expo 2020 in Izmir

All this stuff about Istanbul...Turkey...is starting to get BORING, fatixx and emre. Ya know, posters here will soon overload on Istanbul...and you won't get too much support. I mean every little fart of Istanbul is reported.

Haven't you heard of LESS IS MORE? :blink:

just i heard "size does not matter" ( and a big lie it is), but its not related with here :)

did i send st new ? i remember as i didnt :S and dont discourage fatixx please he is working like Turkish Olympic com. member here :/

All this stuff about Istanbul...Turkey...is starting to get BORING, fatixx and emre. Ya know, posters here will soon overload on Istanbul...and you won't get too much support. I mean every little fart of Istanbul is reported.

Haven't you heard of LESS IS MORE? :blink:

Says the guy who can't tell us enough about how great Reno and Lake Tahoe are and how inconsequential Denver is going to be in a race that hasn't even started to materialize. At least Istanbul is an actual official bid. You don't want to read about it?.. then don't come to the sub-forum and complain how you're reading about it. Jeez Louise, you're over-sensitive about these things!

• Like 1

World Wrestling Championship will be held in Istanbul next week, I have just learned that :D That's +1 for our organization experience.

Dear olimpik; If you have noticed my signature; with all the dates and names of the sports organizations already held or to come, than you could've learned that a few weeks ago .. :rolleyes::P;)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Persistent Istanbul confident for 2020 Games

(Reuters) - Yalcin Aksoy has failed four times to land the Olympic Games for Istanbul but he is ready for another go as Turkey's largest city bids for the fifth time in the last six votes.

"I have never felt so confident except the first time when we bid for the 2000 Games," Aksoy, general director of the Istanbul Olympic Bidding Committee (IOBC), told Reuters in an interview. "We have learned how difficult it is to land the Games."

Istanbul is bidding alongside Rome, Madrid, Tokyo, Azeri capital Baku and Qatar's Doha with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) set to elect the host of the world's biggest multi-sports event in September 2013.

Aksoy has seen previous bids for the 2000, 2004, 2008 and 2012 Olympics crash but said that, following a decision not to bid for the 2016 Olympics, Istanbul was now in a much stronger position.

The Turkish city did not even make the cut for the 2012 Games that were won by London.

Aksoy is less inclined to repeat the much-used adage of the city's symbolic bridging of civilisations as Istanbul sits on the border of Europe and Asia. He is far more interested in talking hard facts this time.

"Before we showed our dedication to the Olympic movement but did not expect to win. This time it is completely different," he said.

STRONG ECONOMY

Turkey's stronger economy and near double-digit annual growth as well as its drive to host major sports events, including a Formula One race, the 2010 basketball world championship and the 2013 Mediterranean Games, had improved the city's chances, he said.

"A lot has changed in Turkey in the past eight years, both in infrastructure and economics. Istanbul is the only city to build an Olympic stadium without winning the Games.

"We decided to go on constructing our projects...to keep on investing in sports infrastructure. Since 1994, 14 Olympic venues have been completed including the Olympic stadium and the Sinan Erdem indoor arena that hosted matches for the world basketball championship last year.

"Why do you think I have remained in this position so long? Mainly because what we have done was productive for the city," he said.

Apart from tackling additional venues and the city's dense traffic, in which $8 billion has been invested in recent years according to Aksoy, Istanbul bid officials will also need to convince the IOC they can provide the necessary security blanket over the Games.

Attacks by Kurdish guerrillas have continued, including a suspected car bomb which killed three people in Ankara earlier this month, and will no doubt will be an issue raised by the IOC.

"The Games attract terrorist activities or other security problems. Turkey is dealing more often with security issues than other countries. We have that experience," Aksoy said.

MUSLIM STATE

Aksoy said that Turkey, a Muslim yet secular state, was the right choice for the IOC to expand to new territories.

"Istanbul offers the Olympic world a chance to organise the Games in a Muslim and secular country.

"Obviously you don't get the Games because you are Muslim country but a good policy is to organise the Games where they have not been organised yet in the world."

Istanbul is not the only bidder from a Muslim country, with Doha and Baku also campaigning on behalf of Muslim nations.

What none of the other five bids had, however, Aksoy argued, was the visible and strong support of the government.

"Which other city's application was announced by the government?" he asked in reference to Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan's personal announcement of the 2020 candidacy.

"This is very positive. With the gigantism of the Games, the IOC is very interested in securing government guarantees."

Asked whether this candidacy would be the last for some time should it fail, Aksoy said the bidding committee's existence would cease only when the Games were awarded to the city.

"Under law it will cease if the Games are won and the existing body automatically becomes the Games' organising committee," he said.

Reuters

Says the guy who can't tell us enough about how great Reno and Lake Tahoe are and how inconsequential Denver is going to be in a race that hasn't even started to materialize. At least Istanbul is an actual official bid. You don't want to read about it?.. then don't come to the sub-forum and complain how you're reading about it. Jeez Louise, you're over-sensitive about these things!

Just saw this stupid post, full of fvcking sh*t. Did I EVER say Istanbul was NOT a real bid? And what's wrong with touting a bid that, if the USOC approves is a real bid. Shirley, u're really so full of sh*t!!

Just saw this stupid post, full of fvcking sh*t. Did I EVER say Istanbul was NOT a real bid? And what's wrong with touting a bid that, if the USOC approves is a real bid. Shirley, u're really so full of sh*t!!

Did you really just reply to a 3 week old post? To which, once again, you missed the point? Let's illustrate how big of a hypocrite you are here. For a pretty long time now, you've been going on and on and on and on touting Reno-Tahoe and now here, you actually have the audacity to call out other posters for doing the EXACT same thing with Istanbul and calling it "overload"? If we're going to resort to name-calling, I can do that to. You are such a self-indulgent tool, I'm surprised more people don't just flat out ignore you. You yell and scream at anyone would who dare to disagree with you, and when someone catches you in a blatant misinterpretation of facts (to which you insisted that person was wrong), your recourse is to post "well, I didn't really care, it's not like it's going to change my life or anything." Maybe I should just learn to ignore these things and let them go, but someone needs to call you out every once in a while, and it's not like I'm the only one. If you want to continue to talk out of both sides of your mouth (or in your case, perhaps these posts are coming out of another hole), don't be so damn surprised when I or some other poster you're insulting doesn't agree with the old man telling the kids to get off his lawn.

378212794v2_480x480_Front_Color-KellyGreen_padToSquare-true.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

wow.. thats st encouraging ..

"Madrid and Rome “should be worried” about the impact of the economic crisis on their candidatures to host the 2020 Olympics, according to Canadian IOC member Richard Pound.

Pound told DPA in an interview at the “Play the Game” conference in Cologne, Germany, that he sees Istanbul as having good chances in the race"

here is the link f the artcle

My link

• Like 1

Well, everyone can have an opinion. On the other hand, Mario Vázquez Raña said a week ago that "Madrid is a great bid for 2020", and that if Madrid couldn't do better for 2016 against Rio it was because of the IOC members who had their interests in Europe hosting in 2020. He seemed to be sure that this time his colleagues will be "sensible" for things to work out fine for Madrid.

I've only found it in Spanish (here), but it must be in English somewhere. There's nothing interesting apart from that, though.

Well, everyone can have an opinion. On the other hand, Mario Vázquez Raña said a week ago that "Madrid is a great bid for 2020", and that if Madrid couldn't do better for 2016 against Rio it was because of the IOC members who had their interests in Europe hosting in 2020. He seemed to be sure that this time his colleagues will be "sensible" for things to work out fine for Madrid.

I've only found it in Spanish (here), but it must be in English somewhere. There's nothing interesting apart from that, though.

But that's ONLY Raña's opinion. And I don't think he's one of the most persuasive top 12 IOC'ers. He'd surely be counted behind a Madrid bid anyway. Further, he said that without Rome or a strong Istanbul in the picture which they are now.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Lmfao :lol: gotta love Pounds cander at times.

I just love his remark about maybe "reinstating" bid city visits; "Frankly, I don't how much good these visits are. They bring you to the top of a tall building & tell you, 'look, you see over there, that sinking hill of garbage? Five years from now that'll be an Olympic Village'." lol

And the most intriguiung part about the article, is his view about the Youth Olympics Games. "I don't think this is responsive to any need anywhere in the world". And had he been president, "there would be NO YOG's". Get rid of those redundant Games already.

Also funny, is that he "doesn't mind" his reputation of being an IOC outsider who is not afraid to speak his mind. "You can afford to ask hard questions. One of the reasons we got into trouble a few years ago was that nobody was asking hard questions".