Sign in to follow this  
emre

Istanbul 2020

i wish to see 'the future games''..hopefully tokyo win this..btw,when will they announce the winner?and which city will be hosting for the announcement?

i wish to see 'the future games''..hopefully tokyo win this..btw,when will they announce the winner?and which city will be hosting for the announcement?

A simple Google search would answer this question...

Anyway, it will be announced on September 7 this year, in Buenos Aires.

If by "boring" you mean is too soon for Asia I agree! :lol:

No. Not that it's too soon. They have boring ceremonies. Just look at the kitschy stuff they put on for Nagano. It's stuff NOT worthy of an Olympics. All those Pokemon, Miss Kitty ideas...

think about 2020 belly dancers on the stage ... lol definettly more entertaining then geishas :D

• Like 1

A Turkish opening ceremony would be amazing..so much history and culture..from Mongolia to the Seljuqs...Ottomans and Ataturk...Compared to a Tokyo opening ceremony, which would contain culture we've seen before. Id consider a Tokyo victory boring too.

• Like 1

A Turkish opening ceremony would be amazing..so much history and culture..from Mongolia to the Seljuqs...Ottomans and Ataturk...Compared to a Tokyo opening ceremony, which would contain culture we've seen before. Id consider a Tokyo victory boring too.

TOTALLY AGREE!!

• Like 1

Good luck Istanbul, the olympics in Turkey will e something entirelly diferent and exotic from everything we have seen in past olympics! :D Can't wait to see the full bid book.

(Also... Since Turkey its a mixture of cultures so Istanbul will not close the door for a European back to back!)

Does anybody know when the candidature file will be released online on their website?

I think that the bid committees are not allowed to publish anything before Wednesday !

Istanbul 2020: Bid has the most stakeholder unity ever in 20 year quest to host the Games

January 7 – The Istanbul bid for the 2020 Olympic Games was supported by their top level team for the submission of the sports proposal documents. This makes the fifth bid from the Turkish city and cumulates a 20 year quest to land the Olympic Games.

The delegation was comprised of the Mayor of Istanbul, Kadir Topbaş, head of the bid, Hasan Arat, IOC member and President of the Turkish NOC, Professor Uğur Erdener, Deputy Undersecretary of the Minister of Youth and Sports, Yavuz Çelik, and General Director of Sports, Mehmet Baykan. Such a stellar participation demonstrated the committed support through every level of national, municipal and local government.

Mayor Topbaş highlighted the unprecedented show of stakeholder unity and said, “Today is a historic moment for Istanbul and the Turkish nation.

“Istanbul 2020 is the first sports bid in Turkish history to have been officially launched by the Prime Minister, and it has been identified as a strategic national priority. As such, this bid has the unequivocal backing of every level of government.

“The Games would enhance Istanbul’s growing global status as a place to visit, do business and, increasingly, stage world-class sport. We are all aligned behind our shared vision: hosting the Games for the first time would be the defining achievement in nearly 100 years of the Republic of Turkey,” he added.

Hasan Arat further confirmed, “We are delighted to be here in the Olympic capital with this group of unified stakeholders to share our vision with the IOC. This milestone is the latest step in our 20-year journey to win the honour of hosting the Games.

“For the very first time, our desire to host the Games is matched by our capacity. We have been learning and evolving every step of the way, and today we are submitting a brand new and dramatically enhanced Games concept.

“Istanbul 2020 has a technically outstanding master plan and delivery structure, and we would grab the world’s attention with a breathtaking setting and a series of groundbreaking firsts, such as being the first ever Games held in two continents simultaneously.

“Now is the time for Istanbul; now we are ready to deliver,” he confirmed.

IOC member and head of the World Archery Federation, Professor Uğur Erdener, spoke about the city’s commitment to the athletes, “Istanbul 2020 has devoted a lot of time to creating a concept that will give athletes the best possible conditions for personal best performances.

“As an International Federation President myself, I know how important it is to put athletes’ needs at the heart of everything. Here in the home of the Olympic Movement, we would like to emphasise our gratitude for the support and insight we have received from the IFs during the development of our Candidature File.

"Thankfully, we have also been able to access a strong pool of expertise within Turkey as world sport’s top property-owners continue to turn to us. Turkey knows what it takes to stage elite sport to the highest international standards.”

The final decision will be voted on September 7th in Buenos Aires at the IOC session.

http://www.sportsfeatures.com/olympicsnews/story/49918/istanbul-2020-bid-has-the-most-stakeholder-unity-ever-in-20-year-quest-to-host-the-games

Does anybody know when the candidature file will be released online on their website?

The IOC will not release the Candidature Files, but has informed the Candidate Cities that they can make their files public and post them on their websites if they so wish as of tomorrow, 8 January.

Sorry to Istanbul supporters, but with someone who has nothing to gain by saying this (I live in Canada), but THIS is Istanbul's bid book? :lol: In all the years I've been reading and analyzing bid books, this has got to be one of the WORST bid books that I have ever seen from a city bidding for a summer Olympiad. The appalling lack of detail and images is just astounding to me. I'm sorry Istanbul, but if bid books and technical details are a factor, then Istanbul to me is already running a distant third and I haven't seen the two other bid books yet! So disappointed.

Sorry to Istanbul supporters, but with someone who has nothing to gain by saying this (I live in Canada), but THIS is Istanbul's bid book? :lol: In all the years I've been reading and analyzing bid books, this has got to be one of the WORST bid books that I have ever seen from a city bidding for a summer Olympiad. The appalling lack of detail and images is just astounding to me. I'm sorry Istanbul, but if bid books and technical details are a factor, then Istanbul to me is already running a distant third and I haven't seen the two other bid books yet! So disappointed.

Maybe they know more than half the membership won't even look at them -- so why bother?

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

The members of the IOC looks at the technical side!

Some, but not all. The evaluation committee will look at the technical issues and report back to the members. Some of those members will read up the full bid books or final evaluation report, some will only read the summaries, and a lot will have already made up their minds for other reasons.