Sign in to follow this  
emre

Istanbul 2020

What would you think of the Olympic Village being placed in Taksim in Istanbul?

You are kidding, right? Taksim is like Times Square in NY, there is no space in this f***ig metropol, that's why they had to choose somewhere in the middle of nowhere outside the city for Olympic venues...

It kinda worries me about the poor planing for the games.

Istanbul owuld be an amazing Olympics, but why did they build the Attaturk Stadium way over west, why didnt they just replace BJK İnönü Stadium with a 90,000 seat stadium and raze a bunch of land around it for the Olympic Park with Aquatics Center and Velerodome. There is a University nearby who could probably use facilities like that(legacy!!).

Plus it would be right on the Bosphorus with a view of Asia. Great views for the NBC helicopter cameras.

2020 might me too soon, If I was the TOC Chairman I would just put all my efforts into making the bid for 2028 as rock solid as possible.

spend the next 10 years just building subway lines and possibly a 3rd bridge from Sultanhamet to Harem Otogari.

But the idea about Inonu Stadium may merit some thought, there is no reason Istanbul cant have 2 big stadiums.

To really make it pretty, you could burry a long stretch of the Meclis-i Mebusan in an underground road tunnel to give the Olympic PArk a nice grassy Waterfront access.

Just a thought.

It kinda worries me about the poor planing for the games.

Istanbul owuld be an amazing Olympics, but why did they build the Attaturk Stadium way over west, why didnt they just replace BJK İnönü Stadium with a 90,000 seat stadium and raze a bunch of land around it for the Olympic Park with Aquatics Center and Velerodome. There is a University nearby who could probably use facilities like that(legacy!!).

Plus it would be right on the Bosphorus with a view of Asia. Great views for the NBC helicopter cameras.

2020 might me too soon, If I was the TOC Chairman I would just put all my efforts into making the bid for 2028 as rock solid as possible.

spend the next 10 years just building subway lines and possibly a 3rd bridge from Sultanhamet to Harem Otogari.

But the idea about Inonu Stadium may merit some thought, there is no reason Istanbul cant have 2 big stadiums.

To really make it pretty, you could burry a long stretch of the Meclis-i Mebusan in an underground road tunnel to give the Olympic PArk a nice grassy Waterfront access.

Just a thought.

lol

3.rd bridge from harem to sultanahmet...:D

replace inonu stadium witha new one:)

dude the mainproblem in istanbul is beeing 5000 years old:D

everything in the city is ancient and u h-ave no right to destroy or built st over them:D

the oympic village is a well placed location cause istanbul is getting bigger that way.

3. int. airport metro system is heading there.also

also there 2 big projects in istanbul one in asian the other is european. The mayor give 2 regions to int. architects ro rebuild. zaha hadid will rebuild asian Kartal district and Ken Yeang will built kucuk-buyukçekmece ( close to Olympic park.) .. here are the projects.. most surely u dont know this one :)

here starting with Ken Yeang

International architecture, planning and design consultancy Llewelyn Davies Yeang has won a competition organised by the Greater Istanbul Municipality to masterplan a major transportation route which links the east and west waterfronts of Istanbul to the rest of Turkey.

Ken Yeang will lead the team designing the masterplan. It is the first major international design competition win for Llewelyn Davies Yeang since Ken Yeang joined the practice last year. The masterplan involves the creation of a 2 kilometre continuous ecological corridor (with eco bridges) which also serves as a new urban park for the city. The creation of the corridor will make the area’s biodiversity whole again by linking the mountain and upland ecology to the north with the coastal ecology to the south. This will greatly enhance the biodiversity of the area.

The site, which is located between the Kucukcekmece Lake to the north and the Sea of Marmara to the south, had previously been dominated by unplanned development and transport infrastructure.

A range of formal and informal activities are planned, including a dolphinarium, national cultural centre, world ecology biomes, a 1,000 berth marina, new canals, 2 hotels, residential and leisure areas as well as a wide range of new public spaces and beaches.

hadid s project is

The Kartal-Pendik masterplan is a winning competition proposal for a new city centre on the east bank of Istanbul. It is the redevelopment of an abandoned industrial site into a new sub-centre of Istanbul, complete with a central business district, high-end residential development, cultural facilities such as concert halls, museums, and theatres, and leisure programs including a marina and tourist hotels. The site lies at the confluence of several important infrastructural links, including the major highway connecting Istanbul to Europe and Asia, the coastal highway, sea bus terminals, and heavy and light rail links to the greater metropolitan area.

The project begins by tying together the basic infrastructural and urban context of the surrounding site. Lateral lines stitch together the major road connections emerging from Kartal in the west and Pendik in the east. The integration of these lateral connections with the main longitudinal axis creates a soft grid that forms the underlying framework for the project. Locally, this net can be bundled to form areas of higher programmatic intensity as well as a vertical buildup of the city fabric. In certain areas the net rises up to form a network of towers in an open landscape, while in other areas it is inverted to become a denser fabric cut through by streets, and at other times may completely fade away to generate parks and open spaces. Some areas extend out into the water, creating a matrix of floating marinas, shops, and restaurants.

The fabric is further articulated by an urban script that generates different typologies of buildings that respond to the different demands of each district. This calligraphic script creates open conditions that can transform from detached buildings to perimeter blocks, and ultimately into hybrid systems that can create a porous, interconnected network of open spaces that meanders throughout the city. Through subtle transformations and gradations from one part of the site to the other, the scripted fabric can create a smooth transition from the surrounding context to the new, higher density development on the site.

The soft grid also incorporates possibilities of growth, as in the case where a network of high-rise towers might emerge from an area that was previously allocated to low-rise fabric buildings or faded into open park space. The masterplan is thus a dynamic system that generates an adaptable framework for urban form, balancing the need for a recognizable image and a new environment with a sensitive integration of the new city with the existing surrounds

kartal_kentsel32.jpg

kartal_kentsel31.jpg

lol

3.rd bridge from harem to sultanahmet...:D

replace inonu stadium witha new one:)

dude the mainproblem in istanbul is beeing 5000 years old:D

everything in the city is ancient and u h-ave no right to destroy or built st over them:D

the oympic village is a well placed location cause istanbul is getting bigger that way.

3. int. airport metro system is heading there.also

kartal_kentsel32.jpg

kartal_kentsel31.jpg

Well, I agree to a point, but OLD doesnt mean historic. In my town in East Texas there is a Black Church that was built in the 1890 that has fallen into serious disrepair. The county wants to demolish it and have the land sent to auction.

There is outcry from the black community that it is historic and should be preserved. but there is a REAL and very SERIOUS difference between "HISTORIC" and just "OLD"

Nothing notable happened in this church, nobody of importance ver set foot in there, and the church that was older than it got replaced like 20 years ago, so the only thing about the property is that its "old".

Ask the guy for Rome's subway system about historic property. They have to shut down every 100 ft because they run into some roman-era wall.

What im trying to say it. let Istanbul be a 21st century nation, not relegating city planning to what Nero decided was the city architecture. There is NO reason that Istnabuyl cant work the actual "historic" parts into the design. Im just saying they shuld really look at a Bospherous frontage Olympic Park.

Youre Turkish and know more than me about Istanbul. But I think it would be an asthetic night/day for the Olympic Stadium to be on the water next to the Golden Horn.

As for the 3rd bridge, that was actually a Bekitash friend of mine who suggested that. Sultanhmet doesnt mean leveling the hyiah sophia for a bridge it just mean making the kennedy a road/bridge on ramp.

Well, I agree to a point, but OLD doesnt mean historic. In my town in East Texas there is a Black Church that was built in the 1890 that has fallen into serious disrepair. The county wants to demolish it and have the land sent to auction.

There is outcry from the black community that it is historic and should be preserved. but there is a REAL and very SERIOUS difference between "HISTORIC" and just "OLD"

Nothing notable happened in this church, nobody of importance ver set foot in there, and the church that was older than it got replaced like 20 years ago, so the only thing about the property is that its "old".

Ask the guy for Rome's subway system about historic property. They have to shut down every 100 ft because they run into some roman-era wall.

What im trying to say it. let Istanbul be a 21st century nation, not relegating city planning to what Nero decided was the city architecture. There is NO reason that Istnabuyl cant work the actual "historic" parts into the design. Im just saying they shuld really look at a Bospherous frontage Olympic Park.

Youre Turkish and know more than me about Istanbul. But I think it would be an asthetic night/day for the Olympic Stadium to be on the water next to the Golden Horn.

As for the 3rd bridge, that was actually a Bekitash friend of mine who suggested that. Sultanhmet doesnt mean leveling the hyiah sophia for a bridge it just mean making the kennedy a road/bridge on ramp.

firstly there is laq to protect the silhouette of bosphorus so u cannot add anything huge and big at bopshorus. secondly everything in Istanbul is historic like rome we cannot finish the metro pass to the sultanahmet region for years cause of the old roman ruins found like marmaray hits to the byzantine imperial dock

also the bosphorus side of the city is the most expensive residential area of the city may be the world. just 70m2 flat which is old and need to redecoration can be sell for 1m dollars.

there is not a such big area to make a village near bosphorus. also inonu stadium is a historic place so u can not change it .

golden horn is a good choice but its also no big empty area there too....

as u said it will be beautifull to make the olympics in Inonu but as i said u can not have a area to make it again. cause the seaside of the stadium is Dolmabahçe Palace , the east is Istanbul Technical universty the west the gardens od the palaca and swiss hotel and back of it the tunnel starts connects to kasımpaşa to besiktas :)

i like the stadium very much by the way.. but the wind s a problem....

merhaba emre,

Nasılsınız?

are there any plans to change the İstanbul Atatürk Olimpiyat Stadyumu or in its surounding area to "solve these wind problems?

By the way it is really a stunning stadium!

stad11.jpg

merhaba emre,

Nasılsınız?

are there any plans to change the İstanbul Atatürk Olimpiyat Stadyumu or in its surounding area to "solve these wind problems?

stad11.jpg

they tried wind panels at first but its not so usefull.. so now they are planting big trees to make them stop wind from north

merhaba emre,

Nasılsınız?

stad11.jpg

needs a big roof job, since the best shtos to show the venue is taken from above ;)

Looks like a plain jane, really.

I think the minimalism is it's best selling point actually. It is simple - but stunning. I have heard additional stands will be placed at each end - not unlike Sydney - to bump the capacity to 90,000 or so.

What Istanbul needs is this kind of videos for OC...

ı just like the second advertisement...

needd a new more actioned commercial for Istanbul

Marmaray is an undersea rail tunnel being constructed to link the European and Asian sections of Istanbul, running under the Bosphorus strait. When completed, it will be the world's deepest undersea immersed tube tunnel. The name Marmaray (Marmarail) comes from combining the name of the Sea of Marmara, which lies just south of the project site, The total cost of the project is expected to be approximately 2.5 billion dollars.

will be over at 2012 and another tunnel for automobiles is planning to make under the sea again. costing 2 billion dollars

125qqhf.jpg

1.jpg

marmaray.jpg

For sure I thot it was "Mammary" :blink:

Or Mummery?

:)

marmaray

marmara is the name of the sea

and ray means rail:D

emre,

I heard that there are huge problems building that subway tunnel - due the difficult geotectonical situation in the Istanbul region - is that right?

the problem is because they find a ancient byzantium port and some ancient ruins at the main european side station.. they are waiting for the archeologist to finish their jobs. but the rails and tunnels already built and set their places.

Like Romans, Athenians and other residents of the world's great historic cities, the residents of Istanbul can hardly put a shovel in the ground without digging up something important.

So far, archaeologists have found what they think might be a church, an old gate to the city and eight sunken ships, which archaeologist Cemal Pulak says he believes were all wiped out by a giant storm more than 1,000 years ago.

Istanbul joins race to host Olympic Games in 2020

KEIR RADNEDGE / Sports Features Communications

LONDON, Nov 10: Istanbul has added its name to the ever-lengthening queue of potential bidders with their eyes on the 2020 Olympic Games.

Confirmation of the intention to bid was delivered by prime ministerial sports adviser Mehmet Atalay in London, taking advantage of the platform offered by a Sports Event Management conference.

Istanbul put forward initial bids for the Games of 2000, 2004 and 2012 so this makes the 4th tiem they will bid. Atalay said: “We decided not to bid for 2016 while we concentrated on trying to make sure we had everything in place to launch a serious attempt for 2020. We think that if we keep pursuing this goal then, ultimately, we will achieve it.

“Like London we have the history, the culture and the organisational experience. Also, we are the bridge between Europe and Asia and the proof is that different cultures and different religions live side by side in a friendly environment.”

Atalay said he believed the 2012 Games in London would be even more impressive and successful than the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. But he stressed that he and his colleagues from the Turkish government’s international sports department had travelled widely to understand the challenge of hosting major events.

He pointed to a list of sports events which had been staged in Turkey – including the dramatic 2005 UEFA Champions League Final – and championships to come.

Atalay added: “We feel much more confident now about being in the race.” Other potential bidders include Tokyo again (with some events possibly staged in Hiroshima and Nagasaki), Italy via Rome or Venice, South Africa with Cape Town or Johannesburg or Durban as well as Qatar, possibly in association with Dubai.

The article forgot to mention Istanbul's 2008 attempt. So 2020 would be the city's 5th try, not 4th.

Istanbul is worth a shot. I say what the heck, go for it! I mean, I'm not impressed by any means with their assumptions of what kind of work will go into the 7 years post-bid, but if the IOC wants to strengthen ties with that region it's 100% the best bet. But considering that the IOC will probably want a low-key compact city for 2020 I'm thinking Istanbul might be better off for 2024.

Istanbul is worth a shot. I say what the heck, go for it! I mean, I'm not impressed by any means with their assumptions of what kind of work will go into the 7 years post-bid, but if the IOC wants to strengthen ties with that region it's 100% the best bet. But considering that the IOC will probably want a low-key compact city for 2020 I'm thinking Istanbul might be better off for 2024.

2024 is more meaningfull then 2020. cause 2024 is Turkish Republics 101 th year :)

but i will be so old :(

i wanna see this organisation held here before i die:D