Istanbul 2020

1378114183_0.jpg

This is what IOC members will find when they arrive in Buenos Aires. Argentinian and Spanish flags along Buenos Aires streets.

Madrid can surprise to the World this time... I wish.

MADRID2020 :rolleyes: It is not a dream... MADRID2020 ;) is already real. We are ready

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1378114183_0.jpg

This is what IOC members will find when they arrive in Buenos Aires. Argentinian and Spanish flags along Buenos Aires streets.

Madrid can surprise to the World this time... I wish.

MADRID2020 :rolleyes: It is not a dream... MADRID2020 ;) is already real. We are ready

That's solely about "Patria Madre" feeling Argentines have with Spain... It's not a election with Argentines voters. These flags means as much as the visit of Barack Obama and Copenhagen full of American flags 4 years ago.

PS: Look at the old buses in Buenos Aires... haahha

that would be false. Last thre touraments in Canada Egypt ans Colombia were successful

You got this information in Internet?

I didn't even noticed that Canada or Egypt have hosted U-20 tournaments... In Soccer/Football world, those are truly minor events. I can list dozens of Cups more important than U-20 World Cup.

And I remember many matches of Brazil in those Under-Something World Cups with empty stadiums all around...

But this is irrelevant to this discussion.

That's solely about "Patria Madre" feeling Argentines have with Spain... It's not a election with Argentines voters. These flags means as much as the visit of Barack Obama and Copenhagen full of American flags 4 years ago.

PS: Look at the old buses in Buenos Aires... haahha

You got this information in Internet?

I didn't even noticed that Canada or Egypt have hosted U-20 tournaments... In Soccer/Football world, those are truly minor events. I can list dozens of Cups more important than U-20 World Cup.

And I remember many matches of Brazil in those Under-Something World Cups with empty stadiums all around...

But this is irrelevant to this discussion.

Off course but from fifas website. Look at the impact the event has had. Its not that of a minor event.

Off course but from fifas website. Look at the impact the event has had. Its not that of a minor event.

Intoronto... World Cup pro, UEFA Champion League, World Cup of Clubs, Eurocup, Confederations Cup, Copa Libertadores, Europa League, Copa Sudamericana, Spanish League, Premier League, Serie A Italia, Bundesliga, Copa America, Brazilian Championship, Mexico Primera Division, Copa del Rey, FA Cup, Argentina Clausura, Female World Cup, Recopa Sudamericana.... And the list goes on...

I can name hundreda of tournaments more relevant than U-20 World Cup.

Even counting Fifa alone, I can name 10 tournaments easily more relevant to football than U-20 WC.

Intoronto... World Cup pro, UEFA Champion League, World Cup of Clubs, Eurocup, Confederations Cup, Copa Libertadores, Europa League, Copa Sudamericana, Spanish League, Premier League, Serie A Italia, Bundesliga, Copa America, Brazilian Championship, Mexico Primera Division, Copa del Rey, FA Cup, Argentina Clausura, Female World Cup, Recopa Sudamericana.... And the list goes on...

Even counting Fifa alone, I can name 10 tournaments easily more relevant to football than U-20 WC.

The FIFA U-20 World Cup is the second most important FIFA event after the senior World Cup and will be the largest and most important football tournament held in this region of the world.With a worldwide television audience numbering in the hundreds of millions and high viewership in every corner of the globe including some of New Zealands traditional and emerging markets, the tournament offers a valuable chance for positive exposure, a fact already recognised by the strong local and central government support

Yes the event is not up there but it does have an impact across the globe and with those empty seata being seen around the globe its not a good show for Istanbul

I have a really hard time believing that the U20 World Cup gets more attention world wide than anything on your list save for the World Cup, the Champions League, a few of the European top tier leagues and cups and maybe the confederation cup.

And the Argentinian first division? Please, even the MLS probably has better TV ratings...

I have a really hard time believing that the U20 World Cup gets more attention world wide than anything on your list save for the World Cup, the Champions League, a few of the European top tier leagues and cups and maybe the confederation cup.

And the Argentinian first division? Please, even the MLS probably has better TV ratings...

The national championships outside main European ones are major for the own countries only, that's my point.

Who cares about Brazilian Championship outside Brazil?

And probably Argentine First Division have better ratings on Argentina than any U-20 World Cup... MLS? We even don't have broadcast of it in Brazil... Maybe some ESPN International without commentary in Portuguese...

The U-20 is "so important" here in Brazil that nobody can not even say when will be the next one, or who will be host without checking internet.

World Cup of Clubs is by far more important to South American TV audience than U-20 World Cup. Even the Female World Cup gets more attention.

I don't know how are the things in Canada about soccer/football, but for sure, the TV market of football in Brazil is more relevant than yours in every single sense.

The FIFA U-20 World Cup is the second most important FIFA event after the senior World Cup and will be the largest and most important football tournament held in this region of the world.With a worldwide television audience numbering in the hundreds of millions and high viewership in every corner of the globe including some of New Zealands traditional and emerging markets, the tournament offers a valuable chance for positive exposure, a fact already recognised by the strong local and central government support

Yes the event is not up there but it does have an impact across the globe and with those empty seata being seen around the globe its not a good show for Istanbul

I'm sure the World Club Championship have more attention than any U-20 World Cup.

No doubts FIFA uses U-20 to give some attention to countries that hardly will host "senior" World Cups: Canada, Egypt, Colombia... All second tier hosts for FIFA. (And in fact, I like this policy, since this tournament can bring local attention they would never have in Brazil, Argentina, Germany or Italy, for example).

The U-20 will easily get hundreds of millions of audience, since lots of countries join the competition, and putting Brazil alone, the audience could reach 200 million people. But, the fact is, in Brazil, all FIFA second tier tournaments are broadcasted by TV Band, the fourth biggest network and have little audience... Pretty much less than any local match or even European Championships broadcasted here.

Don't mess up the possible audience and the real audience.

Any World Cup match can reach billions of audience. The same for Champions League, World Club Championships.....................

The national championships outside main European ones are major for the own countries only, that's my point.

Who cares about Brazilian Championship outside Brazil?

And probably Argentine First Division have better ratings on Argentina than any U-20 World Cup... MLS? We even don't have broadcast of it in Brazil... Maybe some ESPN International without commentary in Portuguese...

The U-20 is "so important" here in Brazil that nobody can not even say when will be the next one, or who will be host without checking internet.

World Cup of Clubs is by far more important to South American TV audience than U-20 World Cup. Even the Female World Cup gets more attention.

I don't know how are the things in Canada about soccer/football, but for sure, the TV market of football in Brazil is more relevant than yours in every single sense.

I'm not talking about popularity in Latin America, I'm talking about cumulative ratings globally. I'm sure the Argentine First Division is a big deal in Argentina, just like the CFL is a big deal in Canada and the AFL is a big deal in Australia. That doesn't mean any of those leagues have any sort of big impact globally.

And as much as MLS isn't broadcasted in Argentina I can guarantee you whatever that league is actually called (you used the old name, btw, it changed format last year) I can guarantee you that you'd have an even harder time finding Argentine League Football in the US. And it isn't because there isn't a market for Football in the US (considering how much NBC payed for the Premiership rights...) its that there isn't a market for Argentine Football in the US or indeed anywhere outside of Latin America. The U20 World Cup has global reach and certainly has way better cumulative TV numbers.

As for the club world cup, please, that carries about as much prestige as a super cup and as far as I know it is fairly unpopular in Europe.

I'm sure the World Club Championship have more attention than any U-20 World Cup.

No doubts FIFA uses U-20 to give some attention to countries that hardly will host "senior" World Cups: Canada, Egypt, Colombia... All second tier hosts for FIFA. (And in fact, I like this policy, since this tournament can bring local attention they would never have in Brazil, Argentina, Germany or Italy, for example).

The U-20 will easily get hundreds of millions of audience, since lots of countries join the competition, and putting Brazil alone, the audience could reach 200 million people. But, the fact is, in Brazil, all FIFA second tier tournaments are broadcasted by TV Band, the fourth biggest network and have little audience... Pretty much less than any local match or even European Championships broadcasted here.

Don't mess up the possible audience and the real audience.

Any World Cup match can reach billions of audience. The same for Champions League, World Club Championships.....................

When you are on a phone you forget to put the source: http://www.newzealand.com/travel/media/press-releases/2013/8/fifa-host-cities-announced.cfm

That wasn't my writing.

"No doubts FIFA uses U-20 to give some attention to countries that hardly will host "senior" World Cups: Canada, Egypt, Colombia... All second tier hosts for FIFA. (And in fact, I like this policy, since this tournament can bring local attention they would never have in Brazil, Argentina, Germany or Italy, for example)."

Argentina hosted 2001, Germany hosted the Women's u20 world cup in 2010, Korea hosted 2007 AFTER hosting 2002 World cup.

Even in Canada the event is not shown on tv (maybe it is, idk) but what we are discussing is the ability for host communities to fill up seats for events that are deemed not of interest. Rio showed it with empty seats in 2007, will it be repeated in 2016? I find it hard to see field hockey or water polo selling out in Rio and if Istanbul wins the same there.

Ok, then, so the U-20 World Cup is the greatest football show ever after the World Cup and 2 or 3 European tournaments.

That's new for me and for my colleagues here at work, a bunch of guys mad for football, from a country mad for football, the host of the next World Cup and 5-time World Champions.

If you guys say so, I rest my case...

Still, the U-20 will not hurt any Olympic Bid... It didn't for Rio, Brazil. Brazil, a country that seems to not give a damn for U-20 World Championships.

As for the club world cup, please, that carries about as much prestige as a super cup and as far as I know it is fairly unpopular in Europe.

I see how unpopular it is every year an European club wins... You does not know much far I see.

Ok, then, so the U-20 World Cup is the greatest football show ever after the World Cup and 2 or 3 European tournaments.

That's new for me and for my colleagues here at work, a bunch of guys mad for football, from a country mad for football, the host of the next World Cup and 5-time World Champions.

If you guys say so, I rest my case...

Still, the U-20 will not hurt any Olympic Bid... It didn't for Rio, Brazil. Brazil, a country that seems to not give a damn for U-20 World Championships.

I see how unpopular it is every year an European club wins... You does not know much far I see.

lol I didn't say that. :rolleyes:

I am from The Netherlands. I am a tolerant person who advocates for tolerant games in a city that is not prone to instability. Having said that, Istanbul would perhaps not be a good choice.

But my gut feeling says that Istanbul will win. Why? Realistically all three candidate cities can organize the games at this stage. But during the very final voting procedure, emotions will be very decisive for the final outcome. And I do think Istanbul has the best chance to win it then. Why?

--> First Olympics in a predominantly muslim country = more sympathy from IOC

--> First Olympics on the border of two continents: Europe and Asia = bridging feeling

--> First Olympics in Turkey ever = sympathy and willingness to let 'them' have it

--> Istanbul tried it three times in a row (!!) = trying to get the Games in 2004, 2008 and 2012

Tokyo I think will be 2nd. They perhaps have the best total package = most compact games, nicest amount of investment money. But my question then will be: Why do you wanna organize again after the 1964 Olympics and 1998 Winter Olympics? And....does your prosperous nation really need it?

Madrid will be 3rd. So many disadvantages. Public opinion on the whole is very low, especially in Catalunya and Basque Country. Unemployment in Spain will most likely be 20% or higher in the upcoming 6 years. Prime Minister Rajoy and his Partido Popular have been accused so many times of fraud. And there is Barcelona 1992.

:) CONGRATULATIONS ISTANBUL!!!

The decades of bidding is over! You didnt give up!

YOU WIN!!!

:D

...poor Rols, yet again his beloved Japan misses out.... :P

F*U*K off Alex!

Not yet ... the winner hasn't been announced.

And Istanbul was always my emotional choice ... and still is.

F*U*K off Alex!

Not yet ... the winner hasn't been announced.

And Istanbul was always my emotional choice ... and still is.

HAAAAA! Knew you'd still be up!!! :D...what a night for Australia!

Its gonna be bloody close...

You were saying, d!pshIt?

cue Alex's predictable election jab comeback.

I'll wear that :(

Looks like you'll have to move to NZ Rols...(election comeback)

SOOOOOOO WANTED ISTANBUL TO WIN!

Archived