Istanbul 2020

Does anyone remember when the head of the IOC critisized or made negative comments about a city after an evaluation visit...I want to know if he is being diplomatic with his comments about each city...or if he actually means it.

Well its quite annoying with these reports. I remember that the Report back in 2008 clearly said that "the Commission has rated three bids as excellent. (...) and that they believe, that Paris, Beijing and Toronto are all able to organise an excellent Olympic Games."

In the coming years, the doubts that there are some potential problems in a single bid, was alwys hidden in between the lines and became visible if you compared the Evaluation for any city to the others. In 2016 it was a bit more bizarre. Back in 2009, I had the impression that the Report wrote every city down and that Rio got enormous praise for their plans - in comparison to the other three candidates. Madrid was critizised that they might will have problems, in creating a proprer Organising Commission structure as they were dealing with competences in the Bid Committee quite bad, in Chicago some financial challenges were addressed and in Tokyo they addressed "minor" problems (the land provided for the OV is too small, they did not differentiate clearly between "excisting venues" and venues with "work required" and they also addressed the stadium issue).

In Rio they were quite sure that transportation issues and also the problematic accomodation issue might be resolved propberly, although they addressed potential concerns only quietly. I think they were optimistic that this issues will be addressed and maybe solved in 2014 for the World Cup.

I think this year we will read that all the financial issues in Madrid and Tokyo might be a problem, that the land Tokyo is providing for the Olympic Village is still too small and that IStanbul will read about the challenges in transport, maybe the Bosphorus stadium issue and of course the wide spread out concept.

In 2018 the report was quite ok: In Munich they addressd the low support, the lack in detail of Olympic Village planing and that they did not really get the message in the Communication programme. Annecy was critized in between the lines because of the concept and there were some doubts addressed here and there.

Overall from 2000 - 2004 the "Critizism" was much more clear. Now you have to compare more what they say.

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well its quite annoying with these reports. I remember that the Report back in 2008 clearly said that "the Commission has rated three bids as excellent. (...) and that they believe, that Paris, Beijing and Toronto are all able to organise an excellent Olympic Games."

In the coming years, the doubts that there are some potential problems in a single bid, was alwys hidden in between the lines and became visible if you compared the Evaluation for any city to the others. In 2016 it was a bit more bizarre. Back in 2009, I had the impression that the Report wrote every city down and that Rio got enormous praise for their plans - in comparison to the other three candidates. Madrid was critizised that they might will have problems, in creating a proprer Organising Commission structure as they were dealing with competences in the Bid Committee quite bad, in Chicago some financial challenges were addressed and in Tokyo they addressed "minor" problems (the land provided for the OV is too small, they did not differentiate clearly between "excisting venues" and venues with "work required" and they also addressed the stadium issue).

In Rio they were quite sure that transportation issues and also the problematic accomodation issue might be resolved propberly, although they addressed potential concerns only quietly. I think they were optimistic that this issues will be addressed and maybe solved in 2014 for the World Cup.

I think this year we will read that all the financial issues in Madrid and Tokyo might be a problem, that the land Tokyo is providing for the Olympic Village is still too small and that IStanbul will read about the challenges in transport, maybe the Bosphorus stadium issue and of course the wide spread out concept.

In 2018 the report was quite ok: In Munich they addressd the low support, the lack in detail of Olympic Village planing and that they did not really get the message in the Communication programme. Annecy was critized in between the lines because of the concept and there were some doubts addressed here and there.

Overall from 2000 - 2004 the "Critizism" was much more clear. Now you have to compare more what they say.

So we'll have to wait for the actual evaluation reports, to get a more clear understanding of what the IOC felt about the visits...I guess it makes sense that they would be more diplomatic post visit...then in the report, they will get more technical and pick at each and every part of the visit.

I actually agree with that idea. A new brand stadium just for the ceremonies doesn't seem a good idea. But if they are going to use it as an acoustic or band shell for any sort of future concerts, then that would fit perfectly. After all it would be a stadium second to none.

Evidently the opening ceremony will light Sultanahmet showing how the Empires left their architectural legacy while glancing to Levent if the stadium if it's between Üskudar and Kadiköy.

I guess ferries during the ceremonies will be used for ticket-holders, athletes, volunteers, artists and the Olympic Family, besides the bridges and Marmaray

Interesting, but actually the IOC are extremely protective of their brand. I hope Istanbul has okayed this.....erm........little incentive.....with them first.

I don't think the IOC has any right over actual language associated with their organisation like "Olympic" or "Olympiad" - I think it's actual symbols of their event that they are more concerned with- in terms of them being used for commercial purposes.

Given that there are instances around the world of its use - like Istanbul, Kiev and Nanjings Olympic Stadiums (despite their non Olympic city status) or the Olympic Boulevards of Melbourne and Los Angeles (named explicitly in honour of their Olympic heritage), I can't see this bridge naming being an issue.

That said, this bridge gesture is thoughtful at best, and cheesy at worst. I doubt the IOC will care, for better or worse.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.turizmtatilseyahat.com/en/turkey-2020-summer-olympic-games-s-korean-minister-5105.htm

We want Turkey to host 2020 Summer Olympic Games, says S. Korean minister:

Yoo Jinryong, minister of culture, sports and tourism of South Korea, which hosted the 1988 Summer Olympic Games, has stated that his country hopes İstanbul will be the host city for the 2020 Summer Olympic Games, adding that Korea would provide Turkey with any assistance that it may need in order to host the Olympic Games.

“I believe that in terms of equipment facilities, Japan and Spain may be far ahead of Turkey. However, what Turkey can leverage is its cultural richness. Turkey has a rich civilizational history and this actually justifies Turkey as a country to host the Games. Indeed, I want Turkey to host the 2020 Olympic Games,” said the Korean minister...

http://www.turizmtatilseyahat.com/en/turkey-2020-summer-olympic-games-s-korean-minister-5105.htm

We want Turkey to host 2020 Summer Olympic Games, says S. Korean minister:

Yoo Jinryong, minister of culture, sports and tourism of South Korea, which hosted the 1988 Summer Olympic Games, has stated that his country hopes İstanbul will be the host city for the 2020 Summer Olympic Games, adding that Korea would provide Turkey with any assistance that it may need in order to host the Olympic Games.

“I believe that in terms of equipment facilities, Japan and Spain may be far ahead of Turkey. However, what Turkey can leverage is its cultural richness. Turkey has a rich civilizational history and this actually justifies Turkey as a country to host the Games. Indeed, I want Turkey to host the 2020 Olympic Games,” said the Korean minister...

It's part of the Love-Hate affair between the Koreans and their former colonizers, Japan. ANd it's open PAYBACK time for (I probably think) Japan NOT endorsing PyongChang's last 2 bids.

It's part of the Love-Hate affair between the Koreans and their former colonizers, Japan. ANd it's open PAYBACK time for (I probably think) Japan NOT endorsing PyongChang's last 2 bids.

Not only that, but Korea has much affinity for Turkey, dating back to Turkish troop support during the Korean War. During the 2002 World Cup, Koreans cheered on Turkey almost as much as they did Korea. Korea would probably support an Istanbul Olympic bid over most other bids, whether Tokyo was in or not.

403922-Korea_vs_Turkey_3rd_or_4th_place_

Not only that, but Korea has much affinity for Turkey, dating back to Turkish troop support during the Korean War. During the 2002 World Cup, Koreans cheered on Turkey almost as much as they did Korea. Korea would probably support an Istanbul Olympic bid over most other bids, whether Tokyo was in or not.

403922-Korea_vs_Turkey_3rd_or_4th_place_

Interesting. Didn't know that.

I never knew that the connection between Turkey and Korea went this far back. However, I did notice a huge amount of Korean tourists in Turkey when I went many years back - lots of Korean language signs and guides at tourist spots too. Interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

World's 'biggest' ground painting promotes Istanbul's 2020 Olympic host bid. Guinness Book of Records certified the 12K square-meter painting

20130517-152826_istanbul107_2143201-jpg2

celebrations of national youth and sports day started:)

LMAO...

good example how to bridge together :) a scottish (irish?)band collecting money at IStiklal avenue,Istanbul with dancing and traditional music. then 2 old turkish handkerchief seller ladies jump in the show..

cried out while laughing :)

also u have to see hıdırellez celebrations in Istanbul too, if i can found i will share :D

• 2 weeks later...

I know whom the USOC is supporting! It's the city with the Haga Sophia. At the intro tonight's screening of FIRST, there was a short USOC promo about America's athletes preparing for the next Olympix, Sochi. Well, they stuck a quick second shot of the Haga Sophia in there. No Madrid; no Tokyo shots. But why Istanbul? I leave it to u to figure that one out. ;)

Archived