Istanbul 2020

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello! I've been reading you for a long time now nut i've just registered.

I want to say that if Istanbul was to host the olympics, they would be the most photogenic in a very long time, I mean, that Bosphorus view with both Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque, it's just amazing. As much as I love Madrid and Tokyo, they just cannot beat that view alone...

Also Maracana is away from the Olympic Village so they might have the same problem in terms of logistics.

Unlike Istanbul, though, Rio doesn't have to deal with a big body of water to get everyone through. That's the real crux of the matter here. And besides, Rio was an 'exception' that the IOC made. So are we gonna start running a trend here & allow every host city from now on to hold the athletics & ceremonies seperately?

If Istanbul really wanted to do it this way, it looks like they should've put some more thought into it. Like just put the OV next to this Bosphorus stadium, too. Or if it's about the main cluster, then why didn't they just plan for it there. Or maybe have main clusters, like Paris 2012 proposed. Or just left things the way they were & just have Ataturk host everything.

*Or maybe *two* main clusters, like Paris 2012, that was suppose to read.

Congrts Istanbul! Those rendrings are just AWESOME they appear to be the most intresting ones in this race, I'm in love with the Bosphorus Stadiums... It makes Istanbul a magical place for the games :rolleyes:

Logistically, isn't pretty good... But we need to take in mind that it could only be that way. And if Rio managed to win with a very spread plan but stuning settings, why not Istanbul.

All I wish is I could swim there at the Olympics... Cool swimming venue, very exotic.

The IOC evaluation commission was:

* hugely impressed by Tokyo

* greatly impressed by Madrid

.. and now .. they are ..

* enourmously impressed by istanbul ==>> according to the news published on turkish STAR-newspaper' website..

source: http://haber.stargazete.com/spor/hazirlik-duzeyi-ve-heves-hepimizi-etkiledi/haber-739907

t1_270320131920420842148.jpg

So every city impressed. Score draw after these visits by the looks of it (unless we're going to overanalyse superlatives).

That'll please Istanbul a lot who would've hoped to come out unscathed, and probably displease Madrid who would've hoped to come out ahead. Tokyo probably happy enough too, though the fact that they released the headline-stealing PR stories about Carl Lewis and Toyota during Istanbul's inspection and not during Madrid's makes it clear who the Japanese think their main rivals are.

So every city impressed. Score draw after these visits by the looks of it (unless we're going to overanalyse superlatives).

That'll please Istanbul a lot who would've hoped to come out unscathed, and probably displease Madrid who would've hoped to come out ahead. Tokyo probably happy enough too, though the fact that they released the headline-stealing PR stories about Carl Lewis and Toyota during Istanbul's inspection and not during Madrid's makes it clear who the Japanese think their main rivals are.

I thought the same thing about those Japanese news stories. Then again, the Turks used the same tactic during the Japanese visit.

A draw helps Istanbul immensely -- if indeed it is a draw. I think we have to wait and see the Evaluation Report. One would not expect the Evaluation Committee to slam any aspect of a bid immediately after being wined and dined by their hosts.

Well yes, I meant to say on the face of it a score draw - and you're right that it's all very diplomatic still. Certainly no bid has come out of it looking bad or with mild platitudes only.

Let's see what the report actually says, you're right.

I think Istanbul is heading to be the favorite one this time among the ones who can vote. Now it is just a matter of social and diplomatic skills to convince them Istanbul will manage the organization smoothly. After all, they got the budget to hire experts in every single branch needed to host the Games.

If Turkey is elected, they will do their best to deliver the expected success of the Games. After all Turkey is a proud nation. The huge budget Istanbul is planning to spend is just part of what is needed to modernize and update a big city like that. And they now this is their time to win with no "new frontiers contenders".

Hopefully it motivates Cape Town to bid for 2024. So then the world would have 3 Olympiads in a row with very photogenic sets: The Guanabara Bay (A Baía da Guanabara), Bosphorus (Boğaziçi) and why not The Table Bay (Tafelbaai) very close to the Cape of the Good Hope.

Well, there's one in Russia in 10 months; and in Asia in 5 years. So 2022 or 2026 should really swing back to the USA.

Not if the 2024 Olympics head its way. In that instance I can't see a US Winter Olympics for at least a decade after that. Maybe more if Canada puts aside Toronto and puts up Calgary or Quebec City for 2030 or beyond.

Well yes, I meant to say on the face of it a score draw - and you're right that it's all very diplomatic still. Certainly no bid has come out of it looking bad or with mild platitudes only.

Let's see what the report actually says, you're right.

Yes. I didn't mean to sound like I was correcting you. Just adding on to what you had already written. Sounds like we're on the same page.

Does anyone remember when the head of the IOC critisized or made negative comments about a city after an evaluation visit...I want to know if he is being diplomatic with his comments about each city...or if he actually means it.

Not if the 2024 Olympics head its way. In that instance I can't see a US Winter Olympics for at least a decade after that. Maybe more if Canada puts aside Toronto and puts up Calgary or Quebec City for 2030 or beyond.

2024 is NOT going to the US. Quebec? Don't u read these fora? They DON'T have the required mountain hght. And why would the IOC go back to Canada again, after bypassing the US? Look up the history of how they award the Winter Games...

The purpose of the stadium is to provide a fantatic backdrop for the ceremonies....its the bids "wow" factor...and it wont be a "white elephant" because after the games it will be dissembled and be a small to medium sized entertainment venue...

This coming from a person living in Madrid that is mired in a bad economic situation.

Oooh, Bazinga! Well, no actually. Madrid supporters can criticise other bids in this regard because they've been building venues for years to a point where legacy is something that will not be a worry for them.

Anyway, a vague two word legacy plan "entertainment venue" is hardly reassuring. Regardless from whom it came, it's a fair enough point to make. In comparison with Tokyo's National Stadium which is replacing another stadium, and Madrid's proposal which will be home to Athletico Madrid, this stadium is in the pencil drawing on a napkin stage in terms of legacy. And not only that, but Istanbul already has a huge stadium on the other side of town that will host athletics, and that is not used to full capacity anything like as often as it should be.

As I said in the other thread, whether this is right or wrong is up to the people of Istanbul, not us, but there's no harm raising questions.

Archived