Istanbul 2020

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

days before IOC visit to Istanbul, Israel officially apologize from Turkey and agreed to complete the agreement on compensation. Also flourishing news with terrorist PKK about kurdish problems in the newrouz fest. terrorists calls for guns to be silent and accept no way to separate the nail from the flesh like turks with kurds in the country. and silence the guns .

2 HUGE events in Turkish history and for the region. im sure it will affect IOC too.

days before IOC visit to Istanbul, Israel officially apologize from Turkey and agreed to complete the agreement on compensation. Also flourishing news with terrorist PKK about kurdish problems in the newrouz fest. terrorists calls for guns to be silent and accept no way to separate the nail from the flesh like turks with kurds in the country. and silence the guns .

2 HUGE events in Turkish history and for the region. im sure it will affect IOC too.

Emre, that's nothing. All of that or a similar set of bad events could happen before the Games. So those external developments are merely temporary and passing. Events could completely unravel at soe future date closer to a hypothetical OGs.

The PKK ceasefire can hardly be deemed irrelevent. Obviously it depends whether it sticks, but if it does it's a major boost to security - and that's obviously something the IOC takes into account.

The Israel situation is a good news story for Turkey before the IOC's visit, but not really of any bearing.

The PKK ceasefire can hardly be deemed irrelevent. Obviously it depends whether it sticks, but if it does it's a major boost to security - and that's obviously something the IOC takes into account.

The Israel situation is a good news story for Turkey before the IOC's visit, but not really of any bearing.

Should these issues really have a great impact on the bid? All three candidates have their political issues - Spain has its own domestic issues, and has itself been victim to Islamist terrorism, and Japan has growing regional tension to deal with, while Turkey borders the horror of Syria and the conflict in the region extending beyond. I just think in the context of Istanbul, I find it very difficult to imagine a situation that would make an Istanbul Olympics a risk (terrorism is always a risk, with the Olympics, but actual conflict is immensely unlikely in western Turkey). Turkey is a big country - from my own experience, I found eastern Turkey to be a world away from the cosmopolitan lifestyle of Istanbul. I can't help but feel much of the suspicion heaped on Istanbul is due to its status as a majority Islamic city. Ultimately Turkey has a rather powerful, near authoritarian style of Governance - it can assert its power in a similar way that China did to keep order.

The ceasefire would be a HUGE boost for the bid. In the past the PKK has hit soft targets in Turkey..however recently they've focused more on fighting against government forces...with stability and peace in the south eastern corner of the country..will come a much less threat and also you may find people that originally migrated from eastern Turkey to the western cities may just migrate back...as peace will no doubt bring prosperity and development to the country's eastern provinces.

The ceasefire would be a HUGE boost for the bid. In the past the PKK has hit soft targets in Turkey..however recently they've focused more on fighting against government forces...with stability and peace in the south eastern corner of the country..will come a much less threat and also you may find people that originally migrated from eastern Turkey to the western cities may just migrate back...as peace will no doubt bring prosperity and development to the country's eastern provinces.

But even before and above that, Istanbul (or any wannabee host city) must show to the Eval Comte and the IOC that it can satisfy the Basic technical requirements of the bid. And in Istanbul's case (and having seen Istanbul myself), the city must prove itself to the Evaluators even before such external layers are noticed.

But even before and above that, Istanbul (or any wannabee host city) must show to the Eval Comte and the IOC that it can satisfy the Basic technical requirements of the bid. And in Istanbul's case (and having seen Istanbul myself), the city must prove itself to the Evaluators even before such external layers are noticed.

That may be true. However keep in mind security was always going to be an issue with a Turkish bid. With this annoucement it basically lifts one of the major hurdles...aside from the bids basic technical requirements.

Should these issues really have a great impact on the bid? All three candidates have their political issues - Spain has its own domestic issues, and has itself been victim to Islamist terrorism, and Japan has growing regional tension to deal with, while Turkey borders the horror of Syria and the conflict in the region extending beyond. I just think in the context of Istanbul, I find it very difficult to imagine a situation that would make an Istanbul Olympics a risk (terrorism is always a risk, with the Olympics, but actual conflict is immensely unlikely in western Turkey). Turkey is a big country - from my own experience, I found eastern Turkey to be a world away from the cosmopolitan lifestyle of Istanbul. I can't help but feel much of the suspicion heaped on Istanbul is due to its status as a majority Islamic city.

Don't go there, seriously! The IRA was a domestic issue for the UK until recent years, ETA was for Spain and PKK is (or hopefully we can now say was) for Turkey.

Although the troubles in Turkey mostly affect the East, what effect would landing a big juicy target like the Olympics have if there was an activ domestic terrorist organisation? An Olympics has the potential to be a magnet for dissaffection and, sadly, terrorism. You know that!

A ceasefire is pretty significant and it'll only boost Olympic hopes of Istanbul. The question marks over security in Istanbul are perfectly valid even if some people decide to overexaggerate them to boost their own bid (a few Madrid posters recently). This ceasefire, if it sticks, removes one of the questions marks at a stroke. That's a good news story for the bid you support runningrings, don't spoil it by making spurious accusations about religion, of all things.

Where would athletics be held? That render is absolutely gorgeous! The ceremonies there would absolutely be amazing.

Looks like Istanbul is starting to pull all the stops now. This, along with the new metro line, perhaps Istanbul was saving their energy for the last 6 months of the campaign to give it their all where it's the most crucial. Excellent strategy if that's the case.

Where would athletics be held?

The existing Attaturk Stadium, miles away on the outskirts in the main Olympic Park cluster.

The Bosphorus Stadium concept which has been known about for a while (this is simply the first render we've seen), is superb for the ceremonies, but it raises a question of logistics during the Games (the athletes and the OV are not near to this area), and legacy after the Games ("entertainment venue" is what is vaguely listed in the bid book).

This is a two stadium solution which has been developed to wow, not one developed through necessity like Rio's was as Istanbul can easily host everything at their existing stadium. It does wow, but the flipside of that is Istanbul can easily be accused of recklessness, overspending or not considering legacy.

This is a two stadium solution which has been developed to wow, not one developed through necessity like Rio's was as Istanbul can easily host everything at their existing stadium. It does wow, but the flipside of that is Istanbul can easily be accused of recklessness, overspending or not considering legacy.

It would be fun to see how Jim856796 reacts, though, if Istanbul is chosen and the plan adopted!

Archived