Istanbul 2020

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, what's with Madrid and the hands? 2012 seemed to say "stop, go no further", this time it seems to say "we're empty handed and grasping".

I refrained from mentioning it, but it almost looks like two hands begging. Similar irony to Australia's Centrelink logo, which looks like two hands outstretched for coins.

Is this an admission from Madrid 2020 that their bid logo is rubbish?

ALSO - having issues loading the Istanbul bid book - anyone else having a problem?

minister of sports had a dinner with top turkish companies tonight including Turkcell,Ulker,koç and sabancı.

the companies announced to lobby and back 2020 bid with full power and sponsorships.

the best news for 2020 bid till now. those companies means hundreds of billions USD pfprivate sector is backing 2020 Istanbul

http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/spor/digersporlar/22373890.asp

$20M in Turkish sponsorship for Istanbul bid

LONDON (AP) - Istanbul's bid for the 2020 Olympics has lined up sponsorship deals with seven leading Turkish companies worth more than $20 million.

Bid leader Hasan Arat calls it a "landmark deal'' that represents the largest private sector investment in any Turkish sports bid.

He says the sponsors - including Turkish Airlines, mobile phone company Turkcel and digital satellite provider Digiturk - are "the engine'' of Turkey's growing economy.

Istanbul, which has failed in four previous Olympic bids, is touting its economic strength and access to new economic markets as a key element of its latest campaign.

The city is competing against Madrid and Tokyo. Spain has been going through a deep financial crisis, while Japan's economy is stagnant.

The IOC will select the host city Sept. 7 in Buenos Aires.

AP

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2013/olympics/wires/01/21/2090.ap.oly.istanbul.2020.bid/

LONDON (AP) - Istanbul's bid for the 2020 Olympics has lined up sponsorship deals with seven leading Turkish companies worth more than $20 million.

Bid leader Hasan Arat calls it a "landmark deal'' that represents the largest private sector investment in any Turkish sports bid.

He says the sponsors - including Turkish Airlines, mobile phone company Turkcel and digital satellite provider Digiturk - are "the engine'' of Turkey's growing economy.

Istanbul, which has failed in four previous Olympic bids, is touting its economic strength and access to new economic markets as a key element of its latest campaign.

The city is competing against Madrid and Tokyo. Spain has been going through a deep financial crisis, while Japan's economy is stagnant.

AP

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2013/olympics/wires/01/21/2090.ap.oly.istanbul.2020.bid/

Great news for Istanbul. It shows they're capable of getting decent sponsorship deals in place which bodes well for if they win the Games.

This definitely a step in the right direction. And Emre, I like your new location.

Speaking of emre, Istanbul is SO vast and dense that the one & only time I was there, emre could NOT meet me (and I totally understand). But if the lay of his own native city prevents him from meeting a friend/acquaintance during a NON-HECTIC period...what more during a really compacted, compressed time like an Olympic Games? So, I fear holding an Olympic Games in Istanbul will be a cause for many missed opportunities. Maybe that should be the theme of their ceremonies? ;)

Speaking of emre, Istanbul is SO vast and dense that the one & only time I was there, emre could NOT meet me (and I totally understand). But if the lay of his own native city prevents him from meeting a friend/acquaintance during a NON-HECTIC period...what more during a really compacted, compressed time like an Olympic Games? So, I fear holding an Olympic Games in Istanbul will be a cause for many missed opportunities. Maybe that should be the them of their ceremonies? ;)

Speaking of emre, Istanbul is SO vast and dense that the one & only time I was there, emre could NOT meet me (and I totally understand). But if the lay of his own native city prevents him from meeting a friend/acquaintance during a NON-HECTIC period...what more during a really compacted, compressed time like an Olympic Games? So, I fear holding an Olympic Games in Istanbul will be a cause for many missed opportunities. Maybe that should be the them of their ceremonies? ;)

lol i was working one of the sponsor companies and working like a slave till 23 everyday :) thats why i couldnt meet u. BUT when i was there i always compalin to marketind department to be a sponsor for the bid. may be i achieve :? :D

AP

Although its good news..but seriously i think it should be expected. These companies are the ones who will profit most with exposure during the games...not only that im sure a lot of the visitors will be using Turkish Airlines to get to Istanbul, will be eating Ulker foods, etc...they will make gain much much more back if the games is are awarded to the city..

Turkish officials expressed confidence on Friday that Istanbul can win the race to host the Olympic Games in 2020 in Davos.

the ministers and bidding team made meetings 1 by 1 and face to face in Davos to show how Turkey and government hanging on the bidding.

http://on.aol.com/video/istanbul-2020-olympic-bid-team-confident-at-davos-forum--ambient--517653576

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

neither 2020 bid nor football is the key issue in Turkish sports but an advert for efes basketball team here now. with 15 hidden cams anadolu group made a camera joke for the leading basketball team in turkey.

all team members invited to a looong classical music concert and then the suprise happens, after some minutes orchestra starts to play teams unofficial song ( which is a rock song by duman group ) and 1 by 1 audience start to sing it :) .. here is the clip. we alll loved it. im sure u may enjoy it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6WR2mkGZec

also anadolu group is 1 of the major sponsors for 2020 bid ;)

turkish football team galatasaray supporting istanbul 2020. the team will wear an istanbul 2020 logo shirt on their UEFA champ. league matches.

on the other hand 2013 Mediterranean games host city Mersin, selected at march 2011 after Greece economical crises and stripped out hosting rights, already over all infrastructural projects by % 80 till today. inc. 25.000 stadium, 7500 capacity arena and 1500 capacity aqua arena just in 1.5 year. it will be an good experiment for istanbul 2020. the med. games will between 20/30 june 2013

Archived