Istanbul 2020

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have read that the traffic in Istanbul since the start of the holidays has been actually running smoothly...close to a million people have left the city for a 12 day break, which completely changed the traffic conditions...Is this true our Istanbul forum members??

I have read that the traffic in Istanbul since the start of the holidays has been actually running smoothly...close to a million people have left the city for a 12 day break, which completely changed the traffic conditions...Is this true our Istanbul forum members??

Well, even 1 million people leave Istanbul to avoid the Olympics, I am sure probably another 250,000 Turks will come from other parts of the country to experience the Games first-hand; PLUS 250,000 foreign visitors. So the net effect might be minus 500,000 people but that's assuming ONE MILLION Istanbuli will leave town. And at least 220,000 people will at least be racing around on many days of the Games; NOT COUNTING accidents on the roads & freeways.

• 2 weeks later...

Olympics: Istanbul bid chief bangs economic drum

PARIS: Turkey's strong economy should be a positive factor in convincing enough International Olympic Committee members to elect Istanbul as the host of the 2020 Summer Olympics and become the first edition to be hosted on two continents, its bid chief told AFP in an exclusive interview.

Hasan Arat, chief executive of the bid and a successful businessman in his own right, added that for him Turkey would not be the latest in a line of countries from emerging markets to win the right to host major international competitions because for him it had already 'emerged'.

Arat's comments could not have been better timed as they came shortly before Turkey saw credit rating agency Fitch Ratings upgrade it to investment grade on Monday.

"I think it (the strong economy) is important," said Arat, who in 1996 was named businessman of the year by 'The Economist' magazine.

"Last week, the Istanbul Stock Exchange was at a record high. Turkey is a huge domestic market.

"We are in the top 15 countries in terms of economic power and according to OECD reports, we will be the fastest growing economy for the period between 2011-17.

"This is a great chance for Turkey. The government is giving great support financially and with guarantees."

Arat, a former professional basketball player, said that Istanbul's case differed to other cities that have been awarded major events such as Rio de Janeiro for the 2016 Olympic Games.

"Istanbul's position is different," he said.

"We are a financial and cultural hub. We have emerged. Istanbul is a global city and is the most visited city in the world.

"It is very, very exciting and it sets up the opportunity of a fresh untapped market."

Arat, whose two children are both involved in sports with his 19-year-old daughter Zeynep a volleyball player and his 23-year-old son Ali a Turkish national waterpolo player, said he was getting tired of hearing about how Turkey wanted to also host the Euro 2020 football championships which would not be allowed under IOC rules.

"I want to remind people of one thing. The Turkish Prime Minister (Recep Tayyip Erdogan) who is a former professional footballer joined us in London for the Olympic Games," he said.

"He held meetings with IOC President Jacques Rogge and what he told him was that 'I always had the Olympic flame in my heart and now I want to hold it in my hands'.

"I think that says what holding the Olympic Games means to the the government.

"The Euro was the wish solely of the Turkish Football Federation. Our bid is the government's bid.

"I don't want to talk anymore about Euro 2020 and don't want to hear anymore about it. There is no official bid. The Olympics is the national priority."

Istanbul - along with rivals Madrid and Tokyo will learn their fate at the vote of the 100-plus IOC members on September 7 next year in Buenos Aires - was reputedly the favourite city of James Bond creator Ian Fleming and features for the third time in a Bond film in the latest one Skyfall.

While Arat refused to say he was Turkey's equivalent of Bond - for a start he is no secret agent - he agreed that the film showed the city in a great light and added that like Bond he was proud to represent his country.

"I am so proud of representing my country," said Arat, who is heading up what is Istanbul's fifth bid for the Games but the first that has been seen as a realistic contender.

"It gives me a lot of energy and every day I think of what can I do a little better.

"There is a great atmosphere among the team. I have a huge responsibility, but I am motivated for my country.

"When I talk about Istanbul 2020, I am talking about Turkey 2020. My dream is to make Olympic history, to really catch an historic moment - one city, one Games and two continents.

"The athletes will have the unique experience of sleeping on the European continent and competing on the Asian continent."

- AFP/fa

http://www.channelne...1235510/1/.html

• 4 weeks later...

fresh flash and good news from IStanbul

best known and strongest ww known companies in Turkey coming a part of Istanbul 2020 bid.

koç (100 b USD assets) , sabancı ( 115b USD asset), anadolu ( 7b. usd turnover), eczacıbası ( 4b. usd tunrover), doğuş ( 80b. usd asset) and vestel (3b. usd revenue) are sponsors for bidding. already paying 20m usd for bidding budget ( 40 in total) and talking about main being main sposor for ıstanbul 2020 bidding.

altough another news, bdding team of Istanbul 2020 ( total in 70 people) having meetings everyday in olympic building in Istanbul and companies of Rio 2016 bid team is a part of this. as a primary goal of prime minister, sports and youth ministery has an open check for what is needed to bring the games to ıstanbul.

may be in silence but Istanbul team is doing well behind closed doors.

fresh flash and good news from IStanbul

best known and strongest ww known companies in Turkey coming a part of Istanbul 2020 bid.

koç (100 b USD assets) , sabancı ( 115b USD asset), anadolu ( 7b. usd turnover), eczacıbası ( 4b. usd tunrover), doğuş ( 80b. usd asset) and vestel (3b. usd revenue) are sponsors for bidding. already paying 20m usd for bidding budget ( 40 in total) and talking about main being main sposor for ıstanbul 2020 bidding.

altough another news, bdding team of Istanbul 2020 ( total in 70 people) having meetings everyday in olympic building in Istanbul and companies of Rio 2016 bid team is a part of this. as a primary goal of prime minister, sports and youth ministery has an open check for what is needed to bring the games to ıstanbul.

may be in silence but Istanbul team is doing well behind closed doors.

Yes you would expect these big companies would come together to bring the games to Istanbul. Seeing as though they are the ones who will be making the big $$$ if the games do come.

Yes you would expect these big companies would come together to bring the games to Istanbul. Seeing as though they are the ones who will be making the big $$$ if the games do come.

companies win, citizens win, Istanbul wins, Turkey wins....:)

New-look Euro won’t change Turkey’s plans

Top names in the Turkish sports scene denied that the country’s commitment to its Olympic bid would be affected by the UEFA decision to stage the Euro 2020 in different countries.

On Dec. 6, UEFA’s executive committee gave the green light to holding the European Football Championships in 2020 across the continent.

Turkey declared itself a candidate for the Euro 2020, while Istanbul was also in contention against Tokyo and Madrid for hosting the Summer Olympic Games in 2020.

“Actually, the decision was not a surprise. There were statements from UEFA signaling their intent,” Turkish Youth and Sports Minister Suat Kılıç said. “The decision will not directly affect Turkey’s commitment to the Olympics.

“There are three candidates for the 2020 Olympic Games: Madrid, Tokyo and Istanbul. Istanbul is the strongest candidate for the 2020 Games, and we are working hard to support our bid.”

Turkish National Olympic Committee (TMOK) chairman Uğur Erdener echoed the minister’s sentiments.
“We could see [the UEFA decision] coming,” he told the Hürriyet Daily News in a phone interview. “I don’t see it affecting Istanbul’s Olympic bid.

Focus unchanged

“What matters most is our own organization. Right now we are preparing our bid book, which will be delivered on Jan. 7, 2013, and will include important factors of our project. That is what we are focusing on.”

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/new-look-euro-wont-change-turkeys-plans.aspx?pageID=238&nID=36372&NewsCatID=362

Phelps' coach backs Istanbul to host "outstanding" Olympic Games

Friday, 14 December 2012

By Emily Goddard at the Sinan Erdem Arena in Istanbul

Sinan_Erdem_Arena_for_FINA_World_Short_cDecember 14 - Istanbul's hosting of the FINA World Short Course Championships has already received major global acclaim, with the likes of Bob Bowman - coach to the most decorated Olympian of all time, America's Michael Phelps - going so far as to endorse the Turkish city's 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games bid.

More than 160 National Federations have sent over 900 of the sport's top athletes to the event here, which is being hosted in Europe's largest multi-purpose indoor sports arena, and which started on Wednesday (December 12).

The Dome has already played host to Serena Williams' WTA Championships victory this winter; its transformation into an elite swimming arena, complete with demountable pool, took just seven days.

"I have been really impressed with these world-class Championships here in Istanbul; the level of organisation and support from the crowds and media has been fantastic," Bowman said here.

"There is no doubt that Istanbul has a real appetite and passion for international sports events and I am convinced that this iconic city would make an outstanding host of the Olympic Games."

His comments will come as a boost to Istanbul, which is currently involved in a bid race with Madrid and Tokyo for the 2020 Games.

Istanbul_logo_at_World_Short_Course_Swim"The City Where Continents Meet" is the slogan of the World Short Course Swimming Championships, which is providing a major boost to Istanbul 2020

Earlier this year, Mark Spitz, whose record of seven Olympic gold medals in a single Games Phelps broke in Beijing in 2008, had also backed Istanbul's bid.

"The FINA World Championships is going to be another elite sports competition that combines world-class conditions for athletes and their teams with the unique flavour of Istanbul," said Hasan Arat, the leader of Istanbul 2020.

"Our major events so far this year have been hugely successful: the WTA Championships set record aggregate and average attendances and the IAAF World Championships was a total sell-out.

"Turkey is building up a strong pool of event-hosting capacity, and Istanbul 2020 is tapping into it.

"Time and again, we are proving ourselves trusted, effective hosts of world sport's top properties."

Great news for Istanbul 2020 :)

Exclusive: Istanbul is ready to host the Olympics, says FINA vice-President
Sunday, 16 December 2012
By Emily Goddard at the Sinan Erdem Arena in Istanbul

fina_istanbul_2012-130x87.jpgDecember 16 - There is no question that Istanbul is ready to host the Olympics, FINA vice-president Dale Neuburger has said as he threw his support behind the Turkish city's bid for the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Speaking to insidethegames here at the FINA World Short Course Championships, the former USA Swimming President who has been FINA vice-president for the Americas since 2000, has been delighted by Istanbul's hosting of the global swimming tournament, which concludes tonight.

"It's been a fantastic event," said Neuburger, who is also the FINA technical swimming committee bureau liaison and technical delegate for this event.

"The Organising Committee has done an outstanding job to ensure an athlete centred competition and in our view that is the most important component of any event, giving the athletes a chance to perform at their very best.

"It has been a very exciting experience and there is no question that Istanbul is ready to host other major global sporting events.

"There is no question that Istanbul is ready to host the Olympics."

Ryan_Lochte_has_been_on_superb_form_in_IAmerican Ryan Lochte has been on superb form in Istanbul

More than 160 National Federations have sent over 900 of the sport's top athletes to the event here, which started on Wednesday (December 12), and spectators have witnessed superb performances, including two world record-breaking swims from America's Ryan Lochte in the 100 and 200 metres individual medleys.

"This World Championships has been one that has included both established swimming stars and bright new stars that are likely to be successful at Rio 2016 [the next Summer Olympics]," Neuburger added.

"Coming just months after the 2012 Olympics it has been a perfect moment for many of our great swimmers and we've have had fantastic performances here from many stars that did well in London.

"The performances here of the young athletes also show that our future is very bright."

Neuburger was equally impressed by the host venue – Europe's largest multi-purpose indoor sports arena which played host to Serena Williams' Women's Tennis Association (WTA) Championships victory this winter, before transforming in to an elite swimming arena featuring a demountable pool.

Sinan_Erdem_Arena11212-550x353.jpgDale Neuburger has been delighted with the Sinan Erdem Arena

He also praised the logistics of the competition.

"The venue has been a great advance for us in a modern arena in a major city that has experience in other world championship events," he said.

"The conditions have exceeded our expectations.

"The hotels are superb and the travel distances from the hotel to the venue and also to the airport are very approximate.

"World Championships are among the most important of events and Istanbul has done an exceptional job."

His positive comments are the latest to come from a number of sport's most respected figures, delivering a boost to Istanbul 2020, which is in a bidding race with Madrid and Tokyo for the hosting rights of the 2020 Games.

Earlier in the week, Istanbul's hosting of the World Championships was praised by Bob Bowman – coach to the most decorated Olympian of all time, America's Michael Phelps – who also endorsed the Turkish city's 2020 Olympic and Paralympic bid, while Olympic swimming legend Mark Spitz gave his support back in July.

The American nine times Olympic gold medallist spoke out in favour of the Turkish city after swimming in the Cross-continental Race, a 6.5 kilometre event across the Bosphorus from Kanlıca on the city's Asian side to Kuruçeşme on the European side, organised by the National Olympic Committee of Turkey (NOCT).

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2020/1012121-exclusive-istanbul-is-ready-to-host-the-olympics-says-fina-vice-president

• 2 weeks later...

Archived