Istanbul 2020

Well 30 min to airport for you Is very very surprising....I live in a city of 4 million. It takes 30 min from the Melbourne CBD to melbourne airport in non-peak hour times. If you are traveling from the Asian side to the European side and its taking you 30 minutes..then thats nearly amazing..i wouldnt even call that a problem..then where is the congestion..

lol when u stuck in the traffic it takes hours... worst hours in istanbul are 8/10 morning and 5/8 in the evening other hours are acceptable.

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beijing does not have the Bosphorus running down the middle with millions of people needing to cross it twice a day.

But will Olympians have to cross the Bosphorus to get to their events? Is it possible to have the Olympics on one side of the city?

But will Olympians have to cross the Bosphorus to get to their events? Is it possible to have the Olympics on one side of the city?

Istanbul has major venue clusters on both the Asian and European sides. Athletes, spectators, media and the Olympic family would have to cross the Bosphorus multiple times each day.

Have you been to Istanbul and seen it for yourself?

I haven't. However, my parents just returned from a trip there this summer. My dad was involved with the organization of the '84 Games. He said Istanbul had the worst traffic he'd ever seen anywhere -- far worse than LA or NYC. He said the problem is that the city continues to grow very quickly and the two bridges are nowhere near adequate. He said it took over an hour to go just a couple miles. It would have been faster to walk. He said even the metro and one more bridge would not be enough to deal with the problem.

He loved Istanbul and could imagine them being a fascinating host, but he said the only option was to spread out the venues far away around the periphery of town because the city center is already so densely built. He said Istanbul is a complicated city to navigate and worried about the long disyances between venues.

But really, he said the transportation was the killer. He could not see any way it could be adequately resolved by 2020. My dad is a mid-mannered guy who is not prone to exaggeration.

Maybe not just the Bosphorus but the Golden Horn as well.

They're really going to have to command their population NOT to drive their cars on Olympic days, and just move about on public transport -- and maybe it's doable. But then they're going to have more buses and train lines to handle the extra hordes.

Yes, the Golden Horn.

Based on my Dad's comments there's simply no possible way that public transport could satisfy Istanbul's needs during the two weeks of the Games.

It's simply a vast, OVER-Built metropolis and spreading horizontally. Not even vertically say, like Singapore, New York, HKG, Tokyo where they know that land is scarce, so they build up and put in a lot of metro stations to have the population zipping about underground...and with no older civilizations to stop construction every half mile or so, encountering an old house or temple from eons back. Turkey/Istanbul like much of the Mediterranean, is so layered with civilizations, that it makes metro construction all that much trickier.

Holding an Olympics in Istanbul makes for a very romantic notion--like a trip on the Orient Express, to use a topical analogy. But in the cold, hard glare of a sunny day, it is easier to give it to a less congested, more "open" metropolis with better infrastructure.

And the winds blowing in that region shift everyday. With the Turkish population 50%-50% on a simple issue like the use of women's headscarves today, that does not bode well for an assured secular society in 8 years' time. I would pay attention to those seemingly insignificant little clues for a project you plan for 8-10 years ahead.

Indeed it is. On that note, I must start saving for my flights to Chicago in 2016.

That's really an over-simplification.

So far Istanbul hasn't mounted anywhere near the campaign that Rio did. They aren't telling a compelling story and they aren't claiming the underdog/sympathy vote.

Plus Rio is nowhere near as congested as Istanbul and actually does have open space for new construction.

Holding an Olympics in Istanbul makes for a very romantic notion--like a trip on the Orient Express, to use a topical analogy. But in the cold, hard glare of a sunny day, it is easier to give it to a less congested, more "open" metropolis with better infrastructure.

And the winds blowing in that region shift everyday. With the Turkish population 50%-50% on a simple issue like the use of women's headscarves today, that does not bode well for an assured secular society in 8 years' time. I would pay attention to those seemingly insignificant little clues for a project you plan for 8-10 years ahead.

wrong... a new statistical study have interesting points. the tolerance between conservative and seculars ( or western ) is the highest point ever and just a small amount of citizens want an islamic republic ( %5) altough more tan % 60 insist on secular system, drinking alcohol, homosexualty tolerance also rising too. but the public is began more conservative. akp ( which i never vote or will vote) is as the same as christian democrats in west nothing else but in muslim way.

ah also we have a special road in high ways just for buses between asia to edge of europe and planning much more roads like this. they an use it for olympics which means no traffic for athletes also a goo ferry transportation.

the key point is we want to rebuild istanbul and best way for this is olympics. forget harmony eartquakes or rebuilding an economy but changing a nations future and saving an 2500 years old city st wow as legacy. another barcelona experience for 20million people in the region.

Istanbul has major venue clusters on both the Asian and European sides. Athletes, spectators, media and the Olympic family would have to cross the Bosphorus multiple times each day.

This is not true!!

There is ONE cluster on Asian Side for 5 sports in total.. not clusterS!!

Besides no one has studied here enough the istanbul bid as I can read..

To cross the Bosphorus multiple times each day is will be the most easy transfer,

because the metroline and the (apart constructed) motorwayline are/will be the most easiest crossings

with olympic lanes and for the metro with elevator-system: so that not each metroline will have a stop at each station.

Innovative and simply ideas will work very well when the lines will opened respectively in 2013 and 2015

The PORT CLUSTER that will include those 5 sports will have the first MetroStop Just (a few 100 meters) next to the venue.

This PORT CLUSTER is a very compact cluster..

It is like members here on GB are writing down their sentences like it is the most terrific thing to go to the Asian Side.

6 cluster of the total 7 cluster will be on the European side .. This includes that about 75-80% of the sports will be implemented on European side!!

Beside the rail/motorway system beneath the Bosphorus, Istanbul has also ABOVE the Bosphorus the most flexible, comfortable and rapid waterway traffic too.

The Olympic Family would be more than glad if they can cross to the Asian Side with BEAUTY ON WATER in hot summer days, than just the undercrossings.

Those SeaBusses are run very smoothly and can handle even more passengers a day than 1 METRO LINE only .. so what is the big Fuss here ??

This is the 1rst time in history that a Istanbul Bid is thought very well in detail, in every intelligence corner that a city on 2 continents can require.??

Please study the Bid Precisely .. because this bid is in 70%-80% different in concept and planning than the previous consecutive bids??

Nobody here has read intensivly in detail the 2020 Ist Bid.. So please don't write down horrible senario's that wont happen ..

The most ever perfect organised smooth sea transport ever in a world city surrounded by water.. istanbuliots prefer these sealines than anything else..

Second city in the world in this frame is Hong-Kong .. Istanbul has decennia long experience to handle hundred of thousands people a day to the two sides and vice versa!!

Whole istanbul is covered with sea-terminals..

>> http://www.ido.com.tr/tr/interaktif-haritalar/ic-hatlar >> official website IDO - Istanbul Sea Busses and Jets

>> http://wowturkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21033 >> interactive sea-terminals-routes map

Fatixx, the IOC is NOT crazy about water ferry transport.

In the NYC 2012 bid, the plan was to transport the athletes competing in Manhattan by ferry from the OV on the Queens side to Manhattan. The IOC shot that down. That had to be removed. So, if we go by that, don't count on your water ferries (for the official Olympic family bodies) to speed things up.

Fatixx, the IOC is NOT crazy about water ferry transport.

In the NYC 2012 bid, the plan was to transport the athletes competing in Manhattan by ferry from the OV on the Queens side to Manhattan. The IOC shot that down. That had to be removed. So, if we go by that, don't count on your water ferries (for the official Olympic family bodies) to speed things up.

Shut up!!

Istanbul isn't New York!!

All I said is that there are clusters on both sides and there are.

There will be huge numbers of people who stay on the Asian side and commute.

Arguing that the Olympics will be exclusively on the European side and therefore crossing the Bosphorus is a non-issue does not hold up.

probably it will needed a small village in asian side too. easy to solve the prob.

Perhaps. But no second village is planned. And what about the IBC? That will still require crossing. And there's still the spectator issue. Many will stay on the Asian side (if not most) and they cannot use Olympic lanes for travel.

If the Istanbul locals on these forums are saying that non-peak hour times the traffic isnt so bad I dont know how anyone hear can dismiss their claims. They live in the city, we dont. Unless they are lying, which would come out anyway, then we need to consider that seriously. Yes in peak hour Istanbul is bad..but the olympics will not simply be in peak hour...think its time to have a look at the bid-book again

All I can report on is what my parents just experienced. They loved Istanbul and have no reason to overstate the transportation problems.

Anywhere in the world rush hour is more than one hour. That is also the case in Istanbul where peak hours are three to four hours long in the morning and three to four hours long in the evening.

As for the Istanbul residents, it depends on who you are quoting. One said "without traffic" the commute is 20 minutes. I could say the same thing here in LA, but the only time the streets are really "without traffic" is 3:00 am. Istanbul will not be "without traffic" during the Olympics.

I am thankful for the participation of our Turkish members. I do not think they are lying. I do think they are trying to represent their city in the most positive terms -- as any of us would if our cities were in the race.

All I can report on is what my parents just experienced. They loved Istanbul and have no reason to overstate the transportation problems.

Anywhere in the world rush hour is more than one hour. That is also the case in Istanbul where peak hours are three to four hours long in the morning and three to four hours long in the evening.

As for the Istanbul residents, it depends on who you are quoting. One said "without traffic" the commute is 20 minutes. I could say the same thing here in LA, but the only time the streets are really "without traffic" is 3:00 am. Istanbul will not be "without traffic" during the Olympics.

I am thankful for the participation of our Turkish members. I do not think they are lying. I do think they are trying to represent their city in the most positive terms -- as any of us would if our cities were in the race.

Hear, hear. Passage quoted in bold above is exactly what our guide (a life-long Istanbuli with a PhD in Economics) said when we were reaching the 'bedroom suburbs'/outskirts of the city towards the sea of Marmara crossing before Galipoli,

And people who say that 'rush hour' is under an hour must live within the central core of the city or near the terminals of the two bridges crossing the Bosphorus. It all depends on where you live and work. If you live within a mile of Ataturk Stadium, then no problem. You can get there in 5-10 minutes. But if you live close to Galipoli and you want to go to the easternmost venue (I don't know what that would be), that is going to be a 3-4 hour trek in heavy traffic. It's all relative.

Archived