Istanbul 2020

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it's a great race and any one would host great games but if we speak in terms of bid quality, then i tend to agree as i really think 2016 & 2012 were better.

But the bid quality isn't totally what will make a good or a bad olympics

Every single city of this three would host great games.

Istanbul could be the Sochi of the Summer Games.

Not clearly Europe or Asia. Would be the same situation for the 2024 bid, than the 2018 bid.

Turkey's Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan backs Istanbul's campaign to host the 2020 Olympics and Paralympics "200 per cent", the leader of the bid has claimed.

Hasan Arat, who is spearheading Istanbul's campaign, claimed that Erdogan's visit to the start of the Olympics in London and for a meeting with International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Jacques Rogge had strengthened his determination to see the Games go to Turkey for the first time after four unsuccessful campaigns, including for 2012.

Istanbul's bid also received a significant boost when Asli Cakir Alptekin and Gamze Bulut finished first and second in the women's 1,500 metres in the Olympic Stadium, the first time a Turk had won a gold medal in athletics at the Olympics.

"Presenting the medals to the two Turkish athletes in front of a packed Olympic Stadium was one of the proudest moments of my Olympic career; and now I am determined to experience this again in 2020 with even more Turkish athletes in the Olympic Stadium in Istanbul," said Erdener.

"This result is the outcome of Turkey's strong investment in both grassroots and elite sport which is enabling more athletes to compete for medals on the world stage.

"I am also really pleased to see the rise in success of our female athletes.

"I am convinced that a home Games in 2020 would inspire millions of young Turkish athletes to try and reach the highest level in sport – so we are determined to take the lessons from London 2012 and use an Istanbul Games in 2020 to achieve this goal."

http://www.insidethe...aims-bid-leader

• 1 month later...

Turkey Open created with eye on Olympics

Turkey's bid for the 2020 Olympic Games has been boosted with the announcement on Wednesday of a first ever Turkish Golf Open to be staged from 7th to 10th November, 2013.

Ahmet Agaoglu, President of the Turkish Golf Federation, indicated the seven million dollar prize-money event will be staged on The Montgomerie Course in Belek and will be a limited 78-player field.

The new tournament will become the penultimate event on the European Tour schedule.

"I am honoured to announce that starting from 7th November next year the first European Tour PGA event will take place in Turkey for three years up to and including 2015," said Agaoglu.

"There has never been a Turkish Open and this will be an exciting start for this new tournament and it is our hope too that the players competing in this week's Turkish Airlines World Golf Final will compete," he added.

http://www.superspor...eye_on_Olympics

90 million USD for youth and sports investments and raising athletes on 2013 Turkish Republic Budget

http://ekonomi.haberturk.com/makro-ekonomi/haber/783970-butcede-olimpik-hareket

sports institute in Hacettepe university, raising athletes with scientific methods from their childhoods...

http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/spor/digersporlar/21462570.asp

good news for sport investments in Turkey and how government wants to be a top country in sports. good for 2020 campaign too

Huge investment will solve traffic problems soon, promises Istanbul 2020

12 - The Istanbul 2020 bid team for the Olympic and Paralympic Games has made assurances that record-breaking investments to the transport infrastructure in the city in the coming years will solve all traffic problems that have been identified.

In the latest "Congestion Index" conducted by navigation producer TomTom, Istanbul has been revealed as the most congested peak-time city in Europe.

TomTom claims the Turkish city has come out as the most congested city in the continent because it has "encountered rapid economic growth but it has physical characteristics that make it challenging to navigate".

But the 2020 bid team feel confident that huge investments will counter the issue.

"Whilst Istanbul 2020 cannot comment on the specific data in the survey conducted by TomTom, it is clear that the survey does not take into consideration the massive record-breaking investment that is being made into transport infrastructure in Istanbul over the next 10 years," an Istanbul 2020 spokesperson told insidethegames.

"Istanbul's traffic congestion has risen in direct proportion to the phenomenal economic growth that Turkey has experienced over the last five years with average economic growth rates of over 8 per cent per annum – the highest in Europe.

"This has enabled the Turkish Government to invest over $1 billion (£620 million/€768 million) every year in transport infrastructure and public transport projects to ease congestion in Europe's largest city.

"This investment is set to continue until 2020 and beyond.

"Should Istanbul win the right to win to host the Games in 2020, this investment will increase and accelerate.

"The fruits of this investment are already being felt.

"For example, less than 10 weeks ago (after the TomTom survey was conducted), Istanbul opened the first metro line on the Asian side of the city.

"It has a capacity of 70,000 passengers per hour per direction and will result in the removal of 572 busses and 1,227 mini-busses and thousands of cars from daily traffic.

"This new line will also alleviate traffic congestion on the Asian side and improve the comfort and journey time of hundreds of thousands of spectators attending sports events at the proposed iconic Olympic venues on the Bosphorus.

"Other major traffic congestion easing projects due to be completed in time for 2020 include a third bridge crossing the Bosporus to relieve congestion in the crowded city.

"The project is estimated to cost $2.5 billion (£1.5 billion/€1.9 billion) and is planned to be completed by 2015."

Istanbul 2020 has already outlined its exclusive Games Lanes along the Games Route Network (GRN), as well as significant road projects that are fully leveraged in the transport plan, such as the planned Eurasia Tunnel.

In addition, it has discussed an intelligent traffic management system empowered by targeted upgrades to the existing, sophisticated, traffic management centre of Istanbul.

"Therefore, there will be a significant reduction in traffic congestion over the next eight years and so by Games time in 2020, all members of the Olympic Family and all Games time visitors will enjoy a comfortable and fast journey between Olympic venues and accommodations," said the spokesperson.

"In particular, athletes are assured of an average journey time of 20 minutes or less."

The comments come shortly after Istanbul Mayor Kadir Topbaş promised that all traffic problems would end by 2016.

"In 2016 the residents of Istanbul will no longer have traffic problems," he said.

"By that time, most of the line will be completed, new buses will be provided and minibus systems will change.

"Also taxis will work more systematically.

"Urban transportation will become much easier."

Insidethegames

Is this going to be enough to re-assure the IOC?

/\/\ That's it! That's exactly what I think is Istanbul's Achilles' heel.

Erdogan's gov't is going to have to exercise a lot of right of eminent domain to acquire land and open up boulevards. And they are going to have to resettle thousands of Istanbuli elsewhere. If they do that, that can help excuse their resettling of thousands of Armenians early in the 20th century. The Turks can now say they didn't discriminate because they are also doing it to the 21st century Istanbuli. :lol:

I doubt that the new subway line and a 3rd bridge will ease Istanbul traffic gridlock. There are just TOO MANY PEOPLE, homes, edifices, etc., in that city. And unlike Ankara which is a 20th century city which has many wide boulevards, etc., Istanbulis not. That is NOT going to come easy.

Actually, if they bid with Ankara, I think they might have a better chance of winning. And just give 2 or 3 sports to Istanbul.

I don't know. It's not enough to reassure me. I applaud them for making this necessary investment and it will help some, but I doubt it will be enough. Among other things, Istanbul is still growing by leaps and bounds. These improvements are not going to resolve the current problems, much less deal with the countless people who have yet to move to Istanbul. It's a good effort, but I doubt it's sufficient.

Traffic woes in Istanbul? Sure. But has anybody been to Beijing?

In 2007 the traffic was shocking, but during the Olympics it was curbed due to a number of both temporary and new infrastructure measures.

I agree that this is a hurdle that needs to be overcome, but I don't think it is the achillies heel of the Istanbul bid. Construction of additional road and heavy rail Bosphorus crossings are in the planning stages or well advanced, which will help remedy some of the issue. I do think that the statement by the Turkish official that by "2016 Istanbul will have no traffic problems" is laughable - always the famous last words of any politician. But I think that Beijing 2008 has demonstrated that there are measures that can be put in place around the Olympic period to clear the roads.

Traffic woes in Istanbul? Sure. But has anybody been to Beijing?

In 2007 the traffic was shocking, but during the Olympics it was curbed due to a number of both temporary and new infrastructure measures.

I agree that this is a hurdle that needs to be overcome, but I don't think it is the achillies heel of the Istanbul bid. Construction of additional road and heavy rail Bosphorus crossings are in the planning stages or well advanced, which will help remedy some of the issue. I do think that the statement by the Turkish official that by "2016 Istanbul will have no traffic problems" is laughable - always the famous last words of any politician. But I think that Beijing 2008 has demonstrated that there are measures that can be put in place around the Olympic period to clear the roads.

Beijing does not have the Bosphorus running down the middle with millions of people needing to cross it twice a day.

Beijing does not have the Bosphorus running down the middle with millions of people needing to cross it twice a day.

Athensfan,

Do you think during the olympics millions of people would need to cross it everyday? Millions of people are crossing it today, to go work or other trips, which may be necessary. Do you think people are crossing it because they want to tour their city...My point is during the games naturally like most cities there would be a holiday period in the city...which would greatly reduce traffic

I think this is what will either win the games or not..If the IOC believe and have faith in the Turkish government in doing what they are saying they are going to do in that article..then Istanbul may well win the games..If the IOC do no think its achievable then No..Its like the games are Istanbul's to lose...Taking nothing away from Tokyo, I just think if it wasnt for the traffic concerns Istanbul would just about be favourites

Athensfan,

Do you think during the olympics millions of people would need to cross it everyday? Millions of people are crossing it today, to go work or other trips, which may be necessary. Do you think people are crossing it because they want to tour their city...My point is during the games naturally like most cities there would be a holiday period in the city...which would greatly reduce traffic

The whole city is not going to stop for two weeks. Some may go on vacation, but how many? Istanbul has a population of over 13 million. At present, a huge percentage of that population must cross one of only TWO bridges twice a day. Yes, the metro is in progress and yes they are talking about more bridges, but it isn't going to be enough. I know what traffic is. I live in LA. Istanbul is FAR, FAR worse. It can take an hour to go only a couple miles.

Don't get me wrong. I think Turkish Games could be wonderfully unique. I also think they could be fraught with logistical challenges the likes of which we've never seen. I'm not anti-Istanbul, I'm just concerned.

I think this is what will either win the games or not..If the IOC believe and have faith in the Turkish government in doing what they are saying they are going to do in that article..then Istanbul may well win the games..If the IOC do no think its achievable then No..Its like the games are Istanbul's to lose...Taking nothing away from Tokyo, I just think if it wasnt for the traffic concerns Istanbul would just about be favourites

This is true; vacation days; telecommuting; anti-Games people who just want to get out and/or rent their homes. But at the same time, you will have the hordes who want to partake of the Games coming in. And in a city of 18 million (that's the statistic our guide (a PhD in Economics) gave us), there might just be a small minus net effect. I really think Istanbul is going to be problematic regardless of all the improvements.

The whole city is not going to stop for two weeks. Some may go on vacation, but how many? Istanbul has a population of over 13 million. At present, a huge percentage of that population must cross one of only TWO bridges twice a day. Yes, the metro is in progress and yes they are talking about more bridges, but it isn't going to be enough. I know what traffic is. I live in LA. Istanbul is FAR, FAR worse. It can take an hour to go only a couple miles.

Don't get me wrong. I think Turkish Games could be wonderfully unique. I also think they could be fraught with logistical challenges the likes of which we've never seen. I'm not anti-Istanbul, I'm just concerned.

Well what I would like to know..and I'd need help from Istanbulites with this one but, what are the travel times during NON-peak hour times in the proposed Olympic routes...as we can assume the entire olympic period would be a non-peak hour period...then if we take into consideration the proposed upgrades, like the third bridge, rail network, tunnels, etc....We also need to consider Istanbul's growth and what the population might be then and the visitors that will be in the city in 2020...We might be able to then get an idea of what it will be like...population growth Vs upgrades may cancel each other out and the travel times may be like today during non-peak times..OR population growth Vs upgrades and upgrades may have a more impact..which means less travel times...Of course only someone who travels on those routes would have a better idea....I know in Melbourne an extra one lane doesnt make much of a difference in the long run..as is the case id assume IN LA..where I remember those 5 lane highways..which cant be upgraded further...However with Istanbul..the investments arent just one or 2 lanes...they are major overhauls like a bridge, tunnel, and rail...so again only i guess Istanbulites on our forums can answer this,...BUT i agree traffic is concerning.

without traffic you can go to the furthest venue from olympic village in 20 minutes by car. Everything you have seen on venue map is connected with express ways. So it's not that far away actually without traffic. If they reserve olympic lanes only for olympic transportation, traffic won't be a problem. There is space to build extra lanes to the highway and express ways.

without traffic you can go to the furthest venue from olympic village in 20 minutes by car. Everything you have seen on venue map is connected with express ways. So it's not that far away actually without traffic. If they reserve olympic lanes only for olympic transportation, traffic won't be a problem. There is space to build extra lanes to the highway and express ways.

So as an Istanbul local you are saying in non-peak hour times you can travel today in car between venues in 20 minutes...and this without the proposed upgrades?

without traffic ..

That being the operative phrase. You have a metropolis of 18 million people TODAY!! Even if half the city population, 9 million left the city to stay away from the Games, you would still have 9 million people going about their daily lives, plus maybe 200,000 people each day trying to attend Olympic events and/or another 500,000 displaced by these same events. Not possible. If it were, then Istanbul would've made the short list so easily in its earlier tries.

So as an Istanbul local you are saying in non-peak hour times you can travel today in car between venues in 20 minutes...and this without the proposed upgrades?

could be... i live in asian side and can go to ataturk airport with 30 min. out o nonpeak hours. but prefer sea buses if there is traffic and it makes 45 min. to reach there

but as an istanbuller the main prob. of the city is traffic like all other metropols

could be... i live in asian side and can go to ataturk airport with 30 min. out o nonpeak hours. but prefer sea buses if there is traffic and it makes 45 min. to reach there

but as an istanbuller the main prob. of the city is traffic like all other metropols

Well 30 min to airport for you Is very very surprising....I live in a city of 4 million. It takes 30 min from the Melbourne CBD to melbourne airport in non-peak hour times. If you are traveling from the Asian side to the European side and its taking you 30 minutes..then thats nearly amazing..i wouldnt even call that a problem..then where is the congestion..

Archived