Istanbul 2020

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the Ottoman Empire, tulips played such an important role that the reign of Sultan Ahmed III (1703-1730) has been labeled the "Tulip Era". Three hundred years before Dutch and British horticulture societies got together to propose the first classified list of tulip names, Turkish florist-in-chief in Sultan's court was heading a council to judge new cultivars of tulips and was giving them fanciful and poetic names; some examples are: "Those that burn the heart", "Matchless Pearl", "Rose of colored Glass", "Increaser of Joy", "Big Scarlet", "Star of Felicity", "Diamond Envy", or "Light of the Mind". Only the most flawless cultivars were entered into the official tulip list. The Turkish florist standards preferred only tall thin tulips, narrowly contoured and made up of dagger-shaped petals. The petals had to be smooth, stiff, of one color, the exact size and length, petals of narrow pointed tips, and with no gaps. which named as ottoman tulip now extinct

now may be reminding netherlands but Tulip is originally a turkish flower comes from central asia to anatolia and passes to europe from istanbul palace gardens

The top portion gives the impression of the Olympic Flame. I thought (after Chicago had to change their logo) that flame imagery was a no go.

I think flames are ok. Torches are not. I adored Chicago's first bid logo though. Too bad it had to go.

I think flames are ok. Torches are not. I adored Chicago's first bid logo though. Too bad it had to go.

Agreed. Although I was fine with their second choice I thought there was a certain majesty to the first one. Madrid had a Flame as their 2012 logo and NYC had a torch and Flame (admittedly from the Statue of Liberty but still the imagery is intended to be Olympic)

I can understand why Istanbul would want to get away at this point from the stylized "I" that was their logo for every one of their previous bids but I always loved that logo. It was simple, elegant and worked on so many levels.

To London for Istanbul 2020

Turkish PM Erdogan, minister of sports and youth, Istanbul Municipality President Kadir Topbaş ,NOC president and other officials, TOKI ( housing development adm. of Turkey) head , Istanbul Transportation Headquarters, and Hido heading to London for Istanbul 2020. PM will personally talk with Rouge and show the governments ambition& support to the games.

nearly all committee of Istanbul 2020 will be there from head to toe.

so we start to fight at last.. good

http://www.sabah.com.tr/SabahSpor/TumSporlar/2012/07/23/2020-icin-4-koldan

In the Ottoman Empire, tulips played such an important role that the reign of Sultan Ahmed III (1703-1730) has been labeled the "Tulip Era". Three hundred years before Dutch and British horticulture societies got together to propose the first classified list of tulip names, Turkish florist-in-chief in Sultan's court was heading a council to judge new cultivars of tulips and was giving them fanciful and poetic names; some examples are: "Those that burn the heart", "Matchless Pearl", "Rose of colored Glass", "Increaser of Joy", "Big Scarlet", "Star of Felicity", "Diamond Envy", or "Light of the Mind". Only the most flawless cultivars were entered into the official tulip list. The Turkish florist standards preferred only tall thin tulips, narrowly contoured and made up of dagger-shaped petals. The petals had to be smooth, stiff, of one color, the exact size and length, petals of narrow pointed tips, and with no gaps. which named as ottoman tulip now extinct

now may be reminding netherlands but Tulip is originally a turkish flower comes from central asia to anatolia and passes to europe from istanbul palace gardens

That might well be the case, but ask just about anyone in Western Europe, North America or Oceania what country they think of when they see Tulips, and the answer would almost 99.99 per cent of the time be Holland.

That might well be the case, but ask just about anyone in Western Europe, North America or Oceania what country they think of when they see Tulips, and the answer would almost 99.99 per cent of the time be Holland.

lol coffee croissant tulip what europeans like the most we introduce dem :) except chocolate , we all thankfull fro aztecs anad mayans for this godly food:)

lol coffee croissant tulip what europeans like the most we introduce dem :) except chocolate , we all thankfull fro aztecs anad mayans for this godly food:)

Well, potatoes come from South America too, but in most minds they'd be associated with Ireland (there's a reason why they have the nickname "Spud" Murphy). I think Turkey would face an uphill task trying to reclaim the Tulip as its emblem.

Western ignorance is not a reason for Turkey to downplay one of their national symbols. If tulips are an important part of their history and the Sultans' reign, they should feature them all they like. It's not their fault that Westerners primarily associate the tulip with the Netherlands. We can all learn...

Western ignorance is not a reason for Turkey to downplay one of their national symbols. If tulips are an important part of their history and the Sultans' reign, they should feature them all they like. It's not their fault that Westerners primarily associate the tulip with the Netherlands. We can all learn...

But that doesn't make it seem less Dutch. Especially with that colour scheme.

But that doesn't make it seem less Dutch. Especially with that colour scheme.

I see what you're saying, but from what I understand it is also very Turkish. Turquoise is a very popular color in Turkey. The Bosphorus is vibrant blue. Orange is blue's compliment and it suggests the Olympic flame. The choices are defensible even if they have other associations as well. Australia, Britain, Cambodia, Chile, Cuba, Czech Republic, France, Iceland, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Puerto Rico, Russia, Slovakia, Taiwan, Thailand and several others all have red, white and blue flags. Surely they can use red, white and blue logos without being labeled "too American."

Have the plans of building a new Olympic stadium as part of the Yenisehir project yet disappeared?

its anotherproject but the main olympiv park staying where its located now.

no project pics i found yet:(

• 2 weeks later...

Archived