Istanbul 2020

/\ I see where Topkapi is!! That's my only reference point.

Olimpik, Emre, do you think they'll be running a lot of water ferries from the "downtown" areas to Atakoy cluster -- to get people over there faster?

Are they allowing a few cruise ships to berth to serve as visitor lodging?

55h10i.jpg

Uh-oh. That roof again. Cauldron problems!! Better have a new Olympic Stadium with a good cauldron placement designed. That would hold my vote!! I do not like FULLY-ROOFED stadia with no room for a stadium-sited cauldron. THis one needs to go back to the drawing board before submission!!

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a good feeling about this bid. A strong narrative will be key, and of course even more important, the quality of the Applicant and Candidature file.

As said above, Hire Mike Lee and present the Games Concept, clearly and ensure it is well understood.

/\ I see where Topkapi is!! That's my only reference point.

Olimpik, Emre, do you think they'll be running a lot of water ferries from the "downtown" areas to Atakoy cluster -- to get people over there faster?

Are they allowing a few cruise ships to berth to serve as visitor lodging?

Uh-oh. That roof again. Cauldron problems!! Better have a new Olympic Stadium with a good cauldron placement designed. That would hold my vote!! I do not like FULLY-ROOFED stadia with no room for a stadium-sited cauldron. THis one needs to go back to the drawing board before submission!!

rail transit map

Istanbul-Rail-Transit-Network-Map.png

seabusses ports

sl4n54.jpg

istanbul general map

ie36go.png

istanbul is a giant guys. dont compare with rome madrid or even paris... its HUGE...even tough its easy to go everywhere.

and we dont have just one center in the city at least 5 main centers i can name u as a center but taksim due to its historic past and location is the heart we can say and transportation main connection is there too.i add 3 maps which can show you the nows ports and metro lines.

miles i dont know but from google earth it seems 10 miles from taksim and historic peninsula to olympic village and 6 to ataturk airport. but the lagoon next to the village can be used as a main seatransport sea to the village connected with other ports.

on the other hand baron i imagine a huge simurg ( phoenix, also sacred in our folk tales means wisdom and immortality) spreading its wings at both sides of the roof and in flames in her nest as a cauldron :D lol

to understand it better for u guys. i live in caddebostan ( next to erenköy at the first map in green line which is also one of the centers named Bagdat Avenune) in asian side and use bostancı station to go to bakırköy where im gonna work. takes 40 min. by sea bus.

Well, well, well! Istanbul certainly seems to have fired a few imaginations and enthusiasms here. I guess it helps that it seems the "freshest" and most "exotic" of the field of four looking for, as Kenadian put it, "Redemption" after their previous failed bids.

I'd certainly be gung-ho to jump on the Istanbul band-wagon. I guess, like Rio, the task now is to see if they can make it out of the applicant list and onto the candidate list. If they can do that, I can easily see them building a strong narrative a la Rio to finally break through.

I can already see multi-coloured whirling Dervishes forming the Olympic Rings in the OC now!

Well, well, well! Istanbul certainly seems to have fired a few imaginations and enthusiasms here. I guess it helps that it seems the "freshest" and most "exotic" of the field of four looking for, as Kenadian put it, "Redemption" after their previous failed bids.

I can already see multi-coloured whirling Dervishes forming the Olympic Rings in the OC now!

I was candidate at the GamesBids Fantasy competition for the SOG 2020-2024 or was it 2028. But in the year of 2010 I was not able do go till the end of the comp because I went to Oslo for the Eurovision Song contest as a journalist-writer for an Turkish eurovision website. But this was my Logo design for the fantasty comp; .. not so good .. but fresh enough I think.

fatihcivelekistanbul202.png

- If you look carfully .. you will see the topographic form of the two continents that from Istanbul 'the clothes of the derwish'.

- The 2 strings in the middle of the clothes forms the 2 existing bridges over the bosphorus

- When whirling the Olympic Flame is born and is reaching high when one hand in the air is asking for forgiveness/pureness and from the other hand towards the ground, all the sins and faults are falling ..

- The fresh bleu whirling background symbolises the sea and universal values of humanity.

B);)

To get an idea of the whirling dervishes.. this item is becoming a cliche, BUT you can create a lot of innovative ideas of how to bring those white whirls into the stadium. This is a part of the cultural programme at the opening cereminy of the 25th Winter Universiade Erzurum 2011.

Just for u Rols .. your Turkish delight for 4 minutes .. :lol:;)

Well, I guess until it gets a Forum of its own, this is the place for Istanbul news.

Anyway, a nice article looking at the financial aspects of the bid (guess I'll be getting to know Hurriyet Daily News well over the next two years):

Olympic games not a cheap dream

Turkey’s bid to host 2020 Olympic Games openly contradicts the government’s latest call for less spending. Still, if the country manages to win the multi-national race to house the games, the construction sector will enliven, some say

Some Turkish ministers have broached the idea of cutting back on spending in light of increasingly negative economic forecasts but the country could be gearing up for a spending spree if Istanbul’s dream of landing the 2020 Olympic Games comes true.

If Istanbul, which has failed to win the bid to host the games four times in the past, is selected to host the games, the country would need to spend billions over the next nine years to be ready for the Olympics, the world’s largest multi-sport event.

“Turkey has the power and financial capacity to host the games,” Serdar Bacaksız, board member of Limak Holding, a Turkish group active in several businesses, including port management, energy and construction, told the Hürriyet Daily News by phone Monday.

Evaluating the candidacy of Istanbul to host the games, Bacaksız said, “Istanbul already needs major investment in infrastructure, sport facilities and transportation.” Such a target as 2020 might accelerate the process and bring dynamism to the metropolis, he added.

London, which has been readying to host the 2012 games, allocated nearly $15.1 billion for the preparations, according to official data from the London Olympic Authority, or ODA. Beijing invested approximately $40 billion for the glamorous games it held in 2008, while neighboring Athens spent nearly $11.2 billion for the 2004 games. In the last three Olympic Games, hosts have spent an average of roughly $22.1 billion for the event.

The return of the investment would be great as the reputation of Istanbul and Turkey would benefit from the “shining visibility” of the games, said Bacaksız, adding that a city that has long had negative associations due to films like “Midnight Express” might at last receive a public makeover.

The economy of the city would benefit as most of the construction work would be run by Turkish companies, creating new jobs. “It would be a real boost for Turkey’s construction sector.”

The London games are expected to net the British capital an estimated 2.1 billion pounds in revenue, of which 400 million pounds will affect areas outside of London.

The games, which will require 70,000 volunteers and 7.9 million spectators, will provide 20,000 construction jobs this year, according to a report by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, or OECD.”

‘Investment for nothing’

“Turkey’s candidacy for is a result of the country’s economic performance,” Rona Yırcalı, the board chairman of the Foreign Economic Relations Board, or DEİK, told the Daily News, adding that Turkey’s economic outlook and political stability were “way better than before.”

Because the infrastructure investments will stay in the country after the games, “we should take it as investments for nothing,” he said. “Turkey could also increase its tourism revenues with it.”

Tourists spent about $6 billion in Sydney in 2000-2001 after the Australian city hosted the games in 2000.

Istanbul has made several previous bids for the Summer Games. The city was a candidate for the 2000 games, but lost in the voting. It sought to bid again for the 2004 Olympics, which were held in Athens, but failed to become a candidate city. It became a candidate for 2008 but lost to Beijing. The Turkish city’s most recent bid was for the 2012 Games but it failed to become a candidate; the 2020 bid will be its fifth bid.

A lack of infrastructure and insufficient public transportation might push Turkey to spend more than others, İnan Demir, the chief economist of Finansbank, told the Daily News.

On the other hand, the low cost of labor and affordable construction materials could lower the budget, he said.

“One way or the other, it would boost the country’s economy for sure,” he said, noting that some countries hosted the Olympics ended up with public debts, so Turkey should be careful about the volume of the investments.

For example, there is 10 percent chance that the United Kingdom might end up losing 517 million pounds by the end of the games, according to a study titled “The Economic Impact of the Olympics” by Dr. Adam Blake of the University of Nottingham.

Rome, Madrid and Tokyo are among the other official candidates to host the 2020 games. The winning city will be chosen Sept. 7, 2013, in Buenos Aires.

Hurriyet

At this point, Istanbul seems like the exciting, exotic bid. It's got more of that intangible x-factor than the other three. Let's see if they measure up on the technical elements....

Thats a great boost for any bid... Ask PyeongChang, Rio or Sochi! :)

most probably a new logo and motto for 2020 Istanbul. and new investments at the city before the final voting at Buenos Aires..Turkish Olympic Com. president and IOC member Prof. Dr. Uğur Erdener said.... thats st new... hope it wont be a tulip again :/

My link

Thats a great boost for any bid... Ask PyeongChang, Rio or Sochi! :)

That trio could also be Istanbul's undoing. A fourth "exotic" location in a row? I do like Istanbul's chances, but at this early, early stage in the process, I'd call all four bids as basically even.

That trio could also be Istanbul's undoing. A fourth "exotic" location in a row? I do like Istanbul's chances, but at this early, early stage in the process, I'd call all four bids as basically even.

I believe Istanbul can win 2024 if a european capital wins 2020 (Madrid) will be best for Istanbul 2024 chances

By the way.... Istanbul must be a subforum!

Seems that countries which can be called also as "new economies" are now getting the games.

Olympics go where the money is and it seems to be now in the more "exotic" locations.

Archived