Istanbul 2020

My main concern with the Istanbul bid is how the Americans would be treated while there, because Turkey is surrounded by countries not so friendly with the United States.

I'm American and have been to Istanbul. I experienced a wide range of personalities (from very, very friendly to diffident, French-style waiters) but nothing like hatred.

It's true that Turkey borders countries like Iran, Iraq, and Syria, but Istanbul is way on the other side of the country. It's a short drive or ferry ride from Bulgaria or Greece (which, IMO, is part of the reason a map will not work for Istanbul - it's practically wedged between Athens and Sochi). In fact, as the crow flies Athens is closer to many "trouble spots" than Istanbul is...

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+ and this is just the little I know and have heard about Turkey: how about football sites in Izmir, Kusadasi, and of course, Ankara? Yachting in Izmir.

+ isn't Istanbul cooler in the summer than Rome or Madrid are?

izmir is turkeys one of the rivieras . sea sports diving and yachting is common. also one of the best place on earth for windsurf is alaçatı

football..is everywhre in turkey.:D

hmm well we have an advantage of the sea. it can be hot but always windy from black sea or marmara sea so not as burning as madrid and rome

in any circumstances Turkey will be a member of EU even sarkozy and merkel against. without Turkey Eu only can be political power but not economical and as military.

by the way if Istanbul gets the olympics it will be a good chance to see real Turkey for who is opposed. some still believe we use flying carpets and camels and use genies instead of mobile phonos :) and no we are not araps:D

as a tip Istanbul is the most popules city in Europe and the financel center of Eureasia region with producing the whole countries GDP of % 40. with the guarantee that given by the parliament there is financial problem also. the citys budget is nearly 5 billion USD for today yet.

dont need to mention about its unique location history and architectural past.

continental swimming and marathon racing, beach volley near the shadow of Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque minarets ....etc. no other city can give this chance to world meaning unity and harmony and connection.

though telecommunication infrastructure is one of the best in the world with transportation to other cities and with no time differences its also good for sponsors and media coverage.

but the only thing make me very excited is the closing ceremony of rio if we have 2020.

from china to england then to brazil. and turkey will get the flag.. thats means harmony and human civilization.... so different places so different countries but for the same passion under the same purpose...the main meaning of olympism..

Sorry emre. Istanbul won't be awarded the 2020 Summer Games for the same reason that Turkey hasn't been admitted to the EU. Turkish forces have been illegally occupying one-third of the predominantly Greek-speaking island of Cyprus for 37 years. Don't underestimate the clout that the Greeks have within the IOC or the EU as evidenced by their refusal to allow the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia to be recognized simply as Macedonia.

Sorry emre. Istanbul won't be awarded the 2020 Summer Games for the same reason that Turkey hasn't been admitted to the EU. Turkish forces have been illegally occupying one-third of the predominantly Greek-speaking island of Cyprus for 37 years. Don't underestimate the clout that the Greeks have within the IOC or the EU as evidenced by their refusal to allow the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia to be recognized simply as Macedonia.

ah, i was expecting this one ;) wont turn it to a politics speech but one sentence . if they give it to china so anyone can get it :)

and

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2020/11576-greece-prime-minister-promises-support-for-istanbul-

and another news for u... the two countries expecting a vot,ng and then a unification in cyprus next year. cause if not, the island will be divided into 2 countries ( not i said but UN)

Financial situation in Spain and Italy is so bad that they have hardly chances for getting the games.

I thin Istanbul has great change to get the games! Not only turkey have a strong financial strengths but also the location in between Europe and Asia.

^^ Good point. Given China's many human rights issues, political issues etc, they still got the games.

Altho you forget, the IOC awards its Games to CITIES and TOWNS...NOT to countries. Yes, we all know that its the Communist Party that ultimtely pulls the strings in the background...but it is NOT the IOC's position to judge or be involved in a host country/city's CIVIL Right stance.

Beautiful case in point: a few days before Mexico 1968 opened, it was either the Mexican City police or the Mexican Army, in quelling some protests, killed a few people days before the Opening Ceremony.

I'm sure the IOC was not happy with the Mexican student massacre, but they couldn't have pulled the plug at that point, a few days from the games...

And yes, national politics and policies do play a significant role. An NOC must endorse a bid city, and often it's presidents and prime ministers who trudge to the IOC sessions to beg for votes.

At the end of this month the Turkish Prime Minsiter Erdogan is going to announce officially the (applicant)candidancy of Istanbul for the 2020 Olympic Games.

He is going to send also the official letter to the IOC with the official support of the Turkish government.

Başbakan Recep Tayyip Erdoğan'ın, İstanbul'un 2020 Olimpiyatları'na adaylığını ay sonuna kadar bizzat açıklayacağı ve hükümetin desteğini belirten yazının IOC'ye gönderilecek başvurunun içinde yer alacağı belirtildi.

Source: http://www.sabah.com.tr/SabahSpor/Diger/2011/07/19/2020-adayligini-erdogan-cikliyacak

At the end of this month the Turkish Prime Minsiter Erdogan is going to announce officially the (applicant)candidancy of Istanbul for the 2020 Olympic Games.

He is going to send also the official letter to the IOC with the official support of the Turkish government.

Are they aware that the annoucement and the official letter should not be made/sent by the government but by the NOC ???

Is this source serious ?

Are they aware that the annoucement and the official letter should not be made/sent by the government but by the NOC ???

Is this source serious ?

the letter is about the support of the government to 2020 Istanbul candidature as i understand.

Is this source serious ?

Memorabilia !! Do you think that the Turkish autorothies are stupid!! Is that what you understood of the source.

Ofcourse will the Turkish NOC sent the letter to the IOC. But the announcement in Turkey will be announced officially by the NOC and Prime Minister together.

This stands out .. we have to read it in the right way; The government is going to back seriously every signle step of this candidancy.

You have always suspicious side when it comes to Turkey. You were even unhappy when the Med-games of 2013 were taken from Greece.

Please don't provocate !!

Memorabilia !! Do you think that the Turkish autorothies are stupid!! Is that what you understood of the source.

Ofcourse will the Turkish NOC sent the letter to the IOC. But the announcement in Turkey will be announced officially by the NOC and Prime Minister together.

This stands out .. we have to read it in the right way; The government is going to back seriously every signle step of this candidancy.

You have always suspicious side when it comes to Turkey. You were even unhappy when the Med-games of 2013 were taken from Greece.

Please don't provocate !!

Dear Fatixxx, apparently you don't know me here ! :angry:

I am trying to just focussing on facts.

I am not speaking Turk, and the translation in both english or french were very poor and unclear. So, I was relying on your comments here on the board, that were saying that the announcement to bid and the official letter to the IOC will be sent by the Prime Minister. At any moment, you notice the NOC in your comment. And from the translation i could not see any reference about it. I have no doubt that at the end the letter would be sent by the NOC, but to avoid them in the communication and to only focus on the politics would be a mistake...

Second point, you accuse to have been suspicious about Turkey and the first one to be happy when the Mediterranean games have been taken from Greece and awarded to Turkey !!! ??? Wrong, wrong, wrong...

Please check the 2 threads related to the Mediterranean Games...

That's not my type to act like this here and to made comments without confirmed facts and sources... And by the way, I am pretty a big fan of turkey to host the olympics... And the mediterranean games would be a good way to show their organizing skills on a multisport event. Just sad they are not organized in the same city that is bidding for the olympics !

So, your apologies to come are the welcome... ;)

I am trying to just focussing on facts.

I am not speaking Turk, and the translation in both english or french were very poor and unclear. So, I was relying on your comments here on the board, that were saying that the announcement to bid and the official letter to the IOC will be sent by the Prime Minister. At any moment, you notice the NOC in your comment. And from the translation i could not see any reference about it. I have no doubt that at the end the letter would be sent by the NOC, but to avoid them in the communication and to only focus on the politics would be a mistake...

So, your apologies to come are the welcome... ;)

Firstly .. my appologies for my rough behaviour

Secondly .. Your previous comment was not cristal clear. As I underlined in your comment now, you could have wrote this sentence in your previous comment. So it came over like the Turkish Autorities are stupid that they don't even know that the Turkish NOC must send the letter to the IOC. You had also the opportunity to ask me via PM about this fact and I could have translated you the furthermore detailed text in that article/or another article that I have momently in my archive. It was just my intention to give information on the fact that the official candidancy is coming soon and so we have another city on the list from cities who made already their candidancy Madrid, Rome .. etc..

That was whole the frame to indicate that Istanbul will officially bid. Of course I appreciate every good/bad comment here. But it came over like there was somewhere a stupidity .. what is impossible from a city that have four consequtive bids in a row.

regards

fatih

Firstly .. my appologies for my rough behaviour

Secondly .. Your previous comment was not cristal clear. As I underlined in your comment now, you could have wrote this sentence in your previous comment. So it came over like the Turkish Autorities are stupid that they don't even know that the Turkish NOC must send the letter to the IOC. You had also the opportunity to ask me via PM about this fact and I could have translated you the furthermore detailed text in that article/or another article that I have momently in my archive. It was just my intention to give information on the fact that the official candidancy is coming soon and so we have another city on the list from cities who made already their candidancy Madrid, Rome .. etc..

That was whole the frame to indicate that Istanbul will officially bid. Of course I appreciate every good/bad comment here. But it came over like there was somewhere a stupidity .. what is impossible from a city that have four consequtive bids in a row.

regards

fatih

Apologies accepted. :)

And sorry if you misunderstood my comments. I had any judgement on the Turkish Government, but i was asking a clarification on the credibility of the source you mentionned.

Case closed.

And good luck to Istanbul ! B)

just remember the olympic stadiums rebuilt version for uefa 2016 champs..

its capacity reach 90.000 and become totally closed roof with its new style... not bad.. can be made st like this for 2020 candidature....

before after pics here...

ataturk-olimpiyat-stadi.jpg

20362_312805907531_282393437531_3643312_6374707_n.jpg

i think they wait for presidents and prime ministers Istanbul visit.

not sure.. the newspapers said " within these days" always.. not certain but absolutly Istanbul is candidate ( as our ministers said)

Archived