Istanbul 2020

Istanbul to bid for 2020 summer Olympics - IOC

(Reuters) - Istanbul will be trying for a fifth time host a summer Olympics since their first attempt for the 2000 Games when the Turkish city bids to host the 2020 Games, a senior International Olympic Committee member said on Friday.

So far only Italian capital Rome has been officially confirmed as a candidate with the deadline for announcing bids being Sept. 1.

"Istanbul will bid," IOC Executive Board member Richard Carrion told Reuters on the sidelines of the IOC session.

Among the other cities reported to be close to bidding is Madrid, who lost in the final round of voting to Rio de Janeiro for the 2016 Games and possibly Japan's capital Tokyo.

South Africa's Durban could also lodge a bid despite the government's initial decision to quash the idea and instead invest the money into improving services for South Africans.

The country's sports minister Fikile Mbalula has said all doors were open with IOC officials also hinting there could be a government u-turn on Durban.

A decision on the 2020 host will be taken in 2013.

Reuters

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thing is, is Istanbul finally gonna present something different instead of just re-hashing their old plan which didn't get them anywhere close the last 4 times. The IOC clearly wasn't interested in it.

Thing is, is Istanbul finally gonna present something different instead of just re-hashing their old plan which didn't get them anywhere close the last 4 times. The IOC clearly wasn't interested in it.

Yep, I'm not familiar with their previous bids, but for the sake of the IOC I hope they present something new. With both Rio and Pyeongchang having used the new frontiers/new horizons argument, I don't think the IOC will as easily surrender to a similar argument purely for new frontiers' sake. Especially for 2020. That said, Istanbul is a magnificent city that has the ability to captivate the IOC without pulling out a map, moreso than Durban.

Sochi, Rio, Pyeongchang and Istanbul.... ??? I don't see that in the picture....

But who knows... welcome in the race !

Sochi, Rio, Pyeongchang and Istanbul.... ??? I don't see that in the picture....

I really don't see it either, even if they downplayed the newness card. Rio and Pyeongchang would still be in the back of everyone's minds. But it would make for some great discussions here.

Who knows indeed. Four years ago people were not giving Rio a chance for 2016, including me it has to be said.

The one I don't see is Rome, and I don't know why because I'm sure their plan will be interesting but... it must be the "R" :P

I see Istanbul. The problem I find is that the IOC might be strongly criticized - too many new frontiers in a row.

Istanbul is probably the darkhorse candidate at this point. With Tokyo looking like they're going to pass on 2020 and the status of South Africa's intentions still unclear, the race for 2020 is shaping up as an all-European affair. Istanbul's chances are as good as ever.

Istanbul's chances are as good as ever.

That's if Istanbul finally produces a brand-new plan, & not just re-hash their old one that the IOC has flat-out rejected 4 times in a row already. I seriously doubt that they'll just choose Istanbul simply for the sake that there's hardly anyone to choose from if their plan still sucks. They'll just go to Rome then, or even Madrid (oops, did I say that out loud :lol: ).

Who knows indeed. Four years ago people were not giving Rio a chance for 2016, including me it has to be said.

That is why my tune on Istanbul has changed a bit since Rio's victory. I don't know if the IOC would want to keep their new frontier streak up, but it would be riskier than a South African bid IMO.

I would just like to follow them in the race, because I think it would make for an interesting dynamic this time around. Especially since I haven't followed any of their past bids.

That is why my tune on Istanbul has changed a bit since Rio's victory. I don't know if the IOC would want to keep their new frontier streak up, but it would be riskier than a South African bid IMO.

I would just like to follow them in the race, because I think it would make for an interesting dynamic this time around. Especially since I haven't followed any of their past bids.

with riskier than a SA bid ?

My main concern with the Istanbul bid is how the Americans would be treated while there, because Turkey is surrounded by countries not so friendly with the United States. How do Turks in general feel about Americans?

emre, maybe you can ease some of those concerns.

emre, do you have any information at all about Istanbul plans? At the very least know if it's going to be a new & improved plan this time around than before, or is it just going to be a re-hash from their old bids.

My main concern with the Istanbul bid is how the Americans would be treated while there, because Turkey is surrounded by countries not so friendly with the United States. How do Turks in general feel about Americans?

emre, maybe you can ease some of those concerns.

well the sentence is somehow a bit ignorant but i dont think IOC has a criteria ; USA friendly country to be choosen .

whatever you wanna hear the truth? ok. we dont like USA. even a very large of the folk hates USA. not your folk or citizens, but your government. started with taking our soldiers in IRAq as a hostage and tie them ( the biggest humiliation ever my country faced till now) turks never forget this, we dont trust u anymore ... etc... with Bush all our" best friend ever" motto broken and so hard to build it again. but for usa citizens we have nothing against them, with open arms and legendary turkish hospitality u can be our guests.;) well we are a very proud nation but when it comes to our guests and visitors we can die for them to make them happy and feel comfortable... a bit maniac we are :D

and when it comes to security, we are may be more experienced than any other country in west, and had many champ.ships, conferences and int. activities held but nothing happened. inşallah there wont be such thing in the future too.

I know someone who has recently lived in Turkey, and had nothing but good experiences there as an American. She is in Germany right now about to deliver a baby, and will return to Turkey in a couple of months.

emre, do you have any information at all about Istanbul plans? At the very least know if it's going to be a new & improved plan this time around than before, or is it just going to be a re-hash from their old bids.

nothing..:S

just i know the new government will make new law about olympic candidature and make the municiplty responsible for all about the candidature.

but there is an investment boom here in istanbul these days. a channel between blacksea and marmara as a second bosphorus is planning, 3rd bridge on bosphorus, 3rd airport near Silivri area with 60m. capacity planning, with marmaray the 2 continents will be connected and all metro system will too. new seaports, rehabilitation of the city with zaha hadid and a korean arch. projects... about 70/ 100b usd total cost :/

and + the ministry of sports once told a possible new olympic park inside the city with a new stadium and facilities within as an option. that means st huge cause there is no area that much big and empty inside the city so they will take out all industrial buildings out of the city, open a land for the village and build a new one. ( which we all istanbullers support this plan with thousands of claps )

thats what we know just now.

I know someone who has recently lived in Turkey, and had nothing but good experiences there as an American. She is in Germany right now about to deliver a baby, and will return to Turkey in a couple of months.

as i said many times, if u ever come to istanbul u dont wanna go back again ;)

and + the ministry of sports once told a possible new olympic park inside the city with a new stadium and facilities within as an option. that means st huge cause there is no area that much big and empty inside the city so they will take out all industrial buildings out of the city, open a land for the village and build a new one. ( which we all istanbullers support this plan with thousands of claps )

Hmmmmmm, me thinks this plan would intrigue the IOC very much, ala London East End style. Add to that the sentiment card, "new frontier" (in a sense) card, & one of the worlds most breath-taking harbors, & Istanbul may finally have all the winning combinations to take it all the way.

Hmmmmmm, me thinks this plan would intrigue the IOC very much, ala London East End style. Add to that the sentiment card, "new frontier" (in a sense) card, & one of the worlds most breath-taking harbors, & Istanbul may finally have all the winning combinations to take it all the way.

well its just a rumour. but it will be more than great with a plan next to old Byzantium walls with a view of minarets of ottoman mosques and back wards golden horn .... 3000 years old history around whole olympic village

god it should be great if we get it :/ (+ with a plan like this)

emre, with a plan like that & all the other geopolitical tangibles & full government backing, that would make an Istanbul 2020 bid a huge force to reckon with. That would certainly give Rome a run for their money, & frankly, most likely leaving them in the dust. I hope it's more than a rumor then. Cause that what Istanbul's been missing in their failed bids is that "wow" factor. I have that Istanbul can do that this time around.

Archived