fifa u 20 world cup given to turkey just today

2013 mediterenean games mersin

2013 WTA sony ericsson cup istanbul

these 3 years a bit full of sports,

2012 european capitol of sports Istanbul

2012 IAAF World Indoor Championships Istanbul

the 2012 FINA Short Course World Championships Istanbul

and annual ones

Formula One Turkish Grand Prix, the MotoGP Grand Prix of Turkey, the FIA World Touring Car Championship, the GP2 and the Le Mans Series 1,000 km , F1 Powerboat Racing

:S

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I doubt this has too much relevence, after all France lost its Grand Prix and Canada lost theirs for a year, but I'll post it nonetheless:

No Istanbul Grand Prix in 2012 - reports

Istanbul will not host a Formula One Grand Prix in 2012 due to a disagreement between Turkish officials and F1 commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone over payments to stage the race, Turkish media reported on Friday.

The Hurriyet daily quoted Murat Yalcintas, head of the Istanbul Chamber of Commerce which backs the race in Turkey, as saying the government rejected a bid by Ecclestone to raise the payment to stage the race to $26 million (15.7 million pounds) from $13 million.

"Formula One says goodbye to Istanbul," said a headline in the Haberturk newspaper.

Yalcintas commented on the situation on his Twitter account.

"It looks like the Formula One race will not be held in Istanbul next year," he said, referring to the bid to double the fee. "Because it found this figure very high it looks like it (finance ministry) will not make the payment. That is the reason the race is not happening," he said.

Ecclestone said last May Turkey could expect to stay on the Formula One calendar long-term despite attracting poor crowds at the circuit near Istanbul's second airport on the Asian side of the Bosphorus strait.

The current contract runs out this year.

This year's Istanbul Grand Prix is scheduled for May 8.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/04/22/uk-motor-racing-prix-turkey-idUKTRE73L0R120110422

To be fair, the Turkish Grand Prix has never been the best advert for sport in Turkey. A couple of years ago Mark Webber said "I am looking forward to Silverstone for many reasons because I think it will be a great atmosphere unlike here. There was no one here."

Sebastian-vettel_1418409c.jpg

I'm really surprised that regulars in this forum bother with such earth-raping things as Grand Prix and FI. I can never equate those horrible, noise-making, resource-sucking, polluting-in-every-sense-of-the-word monstrosities with the sheer simple human (OK, equine) beauty of Olympic sport where the only wasted byproduct is human (or horse) sweat. What does it matter to Olympic bid-related spheres if an FI or Grand Prix event is cancelled or not? Idiotic cities such as Monte Carlo and Long Beach aren't content with their salubrious seaside locations; they have to rape themselves with such lunacies as these car races.

And even as an admirer of of logos and branding art, how can one see through all that visual clutter that is associated with motor sports? I mean 80 logos on an outfit? :blink: Not even someone as loathful as Tiger Woods would demean himself that much. :unsure:

Sorry for the rant, but I see motor sports as the complete antithesis to everything that is Olympic.

Well, 24 cars going round a circuit burning off loads of petrol is obviously a lot less environmentally friendly than Olympic sports. And yes, the sports couldn't be any more different. Each to their own I guess. I like both.

But earth-raping? Getting hundreds of thousands of fans, ten thousand plus athletes to and from a city every two years, building swathes of new venues some of which are never used again in less-responsible host cities, producing tens of millions of pounds worth of plastic tat merchandise in Chinese factories to cover the cost of the whole thing. That's not F1, that's the Olympics. And the ceremonies are nothing but extravagant - I'd love to know how many trees would need to be planted to offset Beijing's ceremonies! Let's not even get started on the overall environmenal and human impact of Beijing's monster Games. I've not heard of any GP which has lead to the diversion of water supplies from tens of thousands of residents in the city's provinces, for example. But that's precisely one of the worst side-effects of Beijing's Olympics.

Let's not kid ourselves that the Olympic are "green". They can be made greener to an extent, as London is trying to do (succeeding in some areas, failing in others), but their Carbon footprint must be huge.

As for Turkey, I acknowledged that the loss of the Grand Prix probably wouldn't be relevant to their Olympic hopes. But it is one big event which seems to be leaving Turkey, and as long as our Turkish friends use the GP as an example of Turkey being capable of hosting big events (as emre did in post #101), then its loss is significant enough to be reported in this thread.

Lastly, I can think of few sports which give better images than F1. You can't tell me this sort of thing isn't impressive:

http://www.darrenheath.com/image-gallery/f1-showcase

http://www.google.co.uk/search?um=1&hl=en&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&biw=1024&bih=1146&site=search&tbs=isz%3Aex%2Ciszw%3A782%2Ciszh%3A547&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=%22big+picture%22&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=

Rob, I'm talking Motor (motorized?) sports as a whole -- cars, Nascar, Grand Prix, FI, motorcycle races, BMX or whatever one calls those things monster drag races...look at all the oil they spill on the ground, the fumes and exhaust they project into the air!

I'm not talking about all the ATTENDANT waste that goes into watching ANY sports events...the plastic cups, etc., All that is extraneous stuff. Well, actually, compare the waste 110,000 NASCAR fans produce vs. 80,000 fans at a premium football event? Gatorade bottles? Maybe a hundred or 2 thrown vuvzuelas? A couple of banners?

And the actual combatant elements? Other than the sweat of the soccer players, what is that compared to all the metal grits, the oil spilled on the motorways, in the pits, the rubber burned, the chemicals let loose into the air, etc., etc., not to mention the NOISE pollution the motors create!!! But hey, if a few hundred thousand people want to inhale all those fumes and make STP and the Dale Earnhardts and Danica Patricks richer...then go right ahead. You wouldn't catch me dead in those settings.

Rob, I'm talking Motor (motorized?) sports as a whole -- cars, Nascar, Grand Prix, FI, motorcycle races, BMX or whatever one calls those things monster drag races...look at all the oil they spill on the ground, the fumes and exhaust they project into the air!

I'm not talking about all the ATTENDANT waste that goes into watching ANY sports events...the plastic cups, etc., All that is extraneous stuff. Well, actually, compare the waste 110,000 NASCAR fans produce vs. 80,000 fans at a premium football event? Gatorade bottles? Maybe a hundred or 2 thrown vuvzuelas? A couple of banners?

And the actual combatant elements? Other than the sweat of the soccer players, what is that compared to all the metal grits, the oil spilled on the motorways, in the pits, the rubber burned, the chemicals let loose into the air, etc., etc., not to mention the NOISE pollution the motors create!!! But hey, if a few hundred thousand people want to inhale all those fumes and make STP and the Dale Earnhardts and Danica Patricks richer...then go right ahead. You wouldn't catch me dead in those settings.

I agree with you. Second time today! ;)

Good for you. The point of me posting that in this thread wasn't to start a debate on who likes motorsports, but to point out that Turkey, and specifically Istanbul, is likely to lose one of its biggest sporting events the year prior to the 2020 vote. The fact that it's lost it is down to Ecclestone's fees and probably oughtn't reflect too harshly on it, but the fact that it was never well attended is more of a problem for anyone evaluating whether to bring their events to the country.

im not sure if istanbul will loose F1 forever especially when EU honored the city as european capital of sports at 2012. erdogan and ecclestone will find a way for a solution. or just for 2012 they will pass turkish grand prix.

using a car fast doesnt sounds me a sport branch by the way. may be sports for engine team that has to change the equipments of the car in seconds but not for the racer lol

a new Bosphorus in Istanbul

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan on Wednesday announced a massive project to construct a new water passage through western Istanbul province, broadcaster CNNTürk reported.

The new passage, named "Channel Istanbul," is planned to be built on the outskirts of the European side of the city and will connect the Black Sea to the Marmara Sea and is planned to be 45-50 km long, the prime minister said, speaking at a conference in Istanbul.

The project is aimed at reducing the amount of transit vessels passing through Istanbul's Bosphorus to zero, Erdoğan said.

Erdoğan did not mention the exact location of the channel or how much it might cost, but said, "There will be no problems financing it."

Preliminary studies of the project will take two years, Erdoğan added. there will be a third airport next to the channel with 60 million passenger / year with 2 ports.

resim2.jpg

Emre, is the Black Sea salt water as I imagine the Marmara is?

nope black sea less saline and cooler thn marmara. even its a dead sea. before bosphorus carry the salty water from mediterenean it was a fresh water lake and after ice age and straits strt to flow water from mediternean, the the main lake collapse to the deep of the sea and become a toxic water nothing lives under 100 meters deep in black sea.

ah by the way the just the channels cost will be around 10 billion USD as rumuored.

• 2 weeks later...

if we lose 2020 bid, we will be bidding for 2024 and the new Olympic Park will most probably projected as a part of New Istanbul project along the new channel

I didn't realize the intent was to stage the Games on the European side. Isn't that a natural drawback, since staging a Games there really means that it is basically a second Greek games? A true Turkish Games should be in Anatolia, not in East Thrace.

I didn't realize the intent was to stage the Games on the European side. Isn't that a natural drawback, since staging a Games there really means that it is basically a second Greek games? A true Turkish Games should be in Anatolia, not in East Thrace.

the games will held both in asia and europe.. not located just in one state. marathon from asia to europe, sailing rawing in asian side. some athelitcs branchs too..

like the motto we have years ago." meeting of continents" altough im quite sure the channel project wont be happen and the olympic park wont be around there. so far from the main city. and if the officers planning a new project, they probably thnk about taking the park into the city or close to the city, and rehabilitate the city suburbs with in this project

Archived