Cnn's Arrogance

mr.x

The folks at CNN seem to have thought that Chicago 2016 was to be a shoe-in....take a look at the anchor's [hillarious] reaction when Rogge announced Chicago had been eliminated:

I thought it was rather funny. I just think the anchor was prepared for his broadcast to moves towards a Chicago vs. Rio final (as most of us did), and was shocked when all of his preparation went into the s****er.

I don't think he was arrogant, just shocked they were out first.

That particular CNN anchor, I can't remember his name, but he's a total idiot. I've always hated him. He's a joke, and it's embarrassing sometimes to watch him. It's no wonder CNN has him on in the day time. Really, I'm serious. That guys is horrible and always has been.

That particular CNN anchor, I can't remember his name, but he's a total idiot. I've always hated him. He's a joke, and it's embarrassing sometimes to watch him. It's no wonder CNN has him on in the day time. Really, I'm serious. That guys is horrible and always has been.

Is it just me or does anyone else need to turn down the volume when Tony Harris comes on? I prefer CNN to the morons at Fox News but CNN has its share of blowhards like Rick Sanchez, Lou Dobbs, Wolf Blitzer and Kyra Phillips too!!!

It seems like daytime anchors on all 3 24 hour news networks here in America are kind of dumb and embarrassing. Sometimes I really wish I could hear the producers yelling at them in there ear piece. Lord knows they're only on the TV because they are pretty.

That guy is a schmuck -- totally lacking in poise and aplomb. The only possible good explanation here is that maybe he wasn't aware that his mic was on.

The director was totally confused too -- scrambled sound, strange camera angles, non-sensical cuts.

Obviously everybody was caught off guard and totally blown away.

That guy is a schmuck -- totally lacking in poise and aplomb. The only possible good explanation here is that maybe he wasn't aware that his mic was on.

The director was totally confused too -- scrambled sound, strange camera angles, non-sensical cuts.

Obviously everybody was caught off guard and totally blown away.

I was caught off guard as well. As were many others i suspect :)

Now imagine the great Walter Cronkite at the same place. He would have made a little joke -- maybe even a self-deprecating one -- and would have very calmly asked the correspondent in Chicago for further details. And not: "Can I have Copenhagen? Can I have Copenhagen? What? Oh, we don't have it."

The coverage by CNN was only silly because they let it be silly. They usually don't do a lot of research before the Olympic elections and just rely on a few phone calls and websites to tell them what's going to happen. They acted like it was a popularity contest and that Chicago was a sure thing to try to drum up some more Obama debate. CNN isn't stupid, but it's their job to make any story bigger than it is. Not only that but their reporting was tailored represent the mind of many people around the world who think the games are given out based on popularity, approval of world leaders, approval of governments, etc., which is erroneous. Look at all of the criticism about Beijing and how people assumed that it meant the IOC approved of China's government. And look here at home in Vancouver where so-called social activists think the games are there to give government permission "kill off" the homeless and show off "colonial principles". It's all an assumption of reality that is wrong, because the games don't have that kind of authority.

Did anybody see when viewers could call in? 100% of them assumed that the bidding had just started before the election (by saying that it Chicago bidding was "sneaky" and such) and 100% of them were convinced that it was a world leader popularity contest (by describing how Obama "lost to the other presidents"). Even people who didn't blame Obama weren't aware of the context the election was occurring in, such as the US having hosted several times before and other trivia by vilifying the IOC as anti-American and full of cronyism, and many people (namely the few Americans who get ruffled enough to call in on news shows) have a bias of thinking all cities outside of the US are backward and incapable, so for them to think another city could have a better plan for a massive event is a stretch of reality. Do you think any of those people studied the bid plans? I would bet millions of dollars none of them knew about any of the plans or any of the work put into them, or could even find these cities on a globe.

That being said, CNN knows the facts, but look at how much much "urgent and passionate" coverage they got out of the whole thing. Hours and hours worth.

What would have happened had they actually stuck to the truth and corrected call-ins? "Rio won. Chicago lost. No hard feelings! Exchange jerseys. Good job. Huge opportunity for development in Brazil. Next story..."

It's funny (well, for us, Brazilians) to watch also some of the major News programmes in USA that day like CBS Evening News of NBC Nightly (available on their sites)...

But, for those who have the curiosity to see the joy of Brazilian Television, our major newscast that night (proud of our pretty brand new newsroom):

Watch and enjoy...

But, for those who have the curiosity to see the joy of Brazilian Television, our major newscast that night (proud of our pretty brand new newsroom):

Watch and enjoy...

nice video, danny

(by the way this video which is shown (starts at 1:00) is ten times better than any of the videos, which were shown at the Rio presentation...)

It seems like daytime anchors on all 3 24 hour news networks here in America are kind of dumb and embarrassing. Sometimes I really wish I could hear the producers yelling at them in there ear piece. Lord knows they're only on the TV because they are pretty.

I think the producers yelling instructions in the anchors' earpieces is the problem. The anchors probably raise their voices just like someone who is trying to carry on a conversation while listening to music on an i-Pod.

I thought it was rather funny. I just think the anchor was prepared for his broadcast to moves towards a Chicago vs. Rio final (as most of us did), and was shocked when all of his preparation went into the s****er.

I don't think he was arrogant, just shocked they were out first.

Check out this video: http://www.1cast.com/l/212676 -- Starwood Eyes Brazil After Olympic Win

The newsroom looks pretty cool, but why does the newscast have such a very old-fashioned theme song? It sounds as if it's 1985 and they've just discovered the synthesiser.

The newsroom looks pretty cool, but why does the newscast have such a very old-fashioned theme song? It sounds as if it's 1985 and they've just discovered the synthesiser.

Hahaha! :lol:

You are right... It's a very traditional theme over here... It's more or less like the "da-da-da! da-da-da!" ESPN's theme in terms of tradition.

They wouldn't dare to change it!

This theme song has been there for decades, recognizable by any Brazilian. I know it sounds kinda old-fashioned but they wouldn't change it for nothing, It's their most famous symbol.

I remember when I was a kid If I heard that song I knew it was dinner time (it starts around 8pm).

This theme song has been there for decades, recognizable by any Brazilian. I know it sounds kinda old-fashioned but they wouldn't change it for nothing, It's their most famous symbol.

I remember when I was a kid If I heard that song I knew it was dinner time (it starts around 8pm).

Never mind -- we in Germany have a non-changeable TV theme, too. It's the theme of "Das aktuelle Sportstudio" ("The up-to-date sports studio), the sports show on the 2nd German TV network ZDF which is broadcast every Saturday evening. The theme has never been changed since the founding of ZDF in 1963!

"Das aktuelle Sportstudio" theme

But at least this one was played by a big band and not with a synthesiser... ;)

Never mind -- we in Germany have a non-changeable TV theme, too. It's the theme of "Das aktuelle Sportstudio" ("The up-to-date sports studio), the sports show on the 2nd German TV network ZDF which is broadcast every Saturday evening. The theme has never been changed since the founding of ZDF in 1963!

"Das aktuelle Sportstudio" theme

But at least this one was played by a big band and not with a synthesiser... ;)

It's much better in quality, but the song doesn't fit with the imagens... Kind of funny too!

It's like watching TV on mute and listening to radio at the same time... :lol:

Archived