Was Chicago's Bid Worthless?

Soaring

My bitterness is beginning to lift a little, and I just thought we should share what Chicago has gained from the bid. Sure, it would have been nice to be on Olympic Island and celebrating at Washington Park in 2016, but Chicago did gain some international attention during the process. Also, World Sport Chicago was created to introduce inner city youth to Olympic Sport.

I recall reading an article a while back stating that candidate cities typically receive an economic "boost" from placing a bid because of the added attention.

First, do you think this is true, and how many of you internationals have a different view of Chicago because of the bid?

Also, at least the USOC may wake up and get their act together.

I don't think the IOC membership had it out for Chicago 2016 to be honest. Rio 2016 with Mike Lee is a tough one to crack. I seem to recall how people complained about the Constant Drone of South America never hosting the games but in this case it probably worked.

The problem for Chicago 2016 is that the USOC and American Citizens don't generally get lifetime involvement in Sports Federations like other places. Joao Havelange and his involvement . Boy oh boy that is a force of his own.

The distance to be part of a federation in Switzerland seems to be a factor that does not attract Americans. You look at the top brass of a SF's like Fina , IAAF and FIVB and you will find Africans at the helm . FIVB's vice president Habu Gumel was just made an IOc member and he is from Nigeria. Fina and Fivb really haven't had many star athletes in their sports come from Africa so how is it that a Nigerian Engineer becomes Vice President of the world body governing volleyball when Nigeria is no where on the map in that sport ? Probably right place right time and having the time to put in. American's on talents for Sports Admin are probably to busy making great Salaries in Us College athletics programs or Professional Teams to become involved with Swiss based international sports federations.

Jim jones

I don't think the IOC membership had it out for Chicago 2016 to be honest. Rio 2016 with Mike Lee is a tough one to crack. I seem to recall how people complained about the Constant Drone of South America never hosting the games but in this case it probably worked.

The problem for Chicago 2016 is that the USOC and American Citizens don't generally get lifetime involvement in Sports Federations like other places. Joao Havelange and his involvement . Boy oh boy that is a force of his own.

The distance to be part of a federation in Switzerland seems to be a factor that does not attract Americans. You look at the top brass of a SF's like Fina , IAAF and FIVB and you will find Africans at the helm . FIVB's vice president Habu Gumel was just made an IOc member and he is from Nigeria. Fina and Fivb really haven't had many star athletes in their sports come from Africa so how is it that a Nigerian Engineer becomes Vice President of the world body governing volleyball when Nigeria is no where on the map in that sport ? Probably right place right time and having the time to put in. American's on talents for Sports Admin are probably to busy making great Salaries in Us College athletics programs or Professional Teams to become involved with Swiss based international sports federations.

Jim jones

jj, u may have hit another nail on the head there. I think (am I can't be arsed to look it up), but Archery I think only has Jim Easton heading it as a Yank. Yeah, since most of these feds are Swiss-bsed, it would be hard to find Yanks who would want to setllt there for a longtime. So that's another liability for a US bid..not having a strong insider in the IOC nor having a leading Federation up its sleeve.

• 4 weeks later...
I appreciate the comments pertaining to a future Chicago bid, but do you think Chicago gained anything outside of a possible future bid/host slot (e.g. intl. attention).

My friend, I knew almost nothing about Chicago. During the process I came to realize US in not NY only. Chicago has opened its windows not only to a future SOG, but to the whole world. Be sure.

Archived