Why Does Rio Insist On Two Stadiums?

Onetimeonly...

Rio project is not perfect, CARALHO!!!! I never said otherwise!!!

but there is at least one thing in Rio project that, based you read Rio plans, you should like...

But, no, you didn't read!!! You've shown it in the last post!

For example... Canoe-Kayak project was the best among the bidders, a flat lagoon in the middle of the city with a huge stadium already built for it, besides the scenic, it was considered by the athletes one of the best locations for such kind of competition in the entire world?

And about athletic path in Joao Havelange stadium. IAAF pointed that JH is a PERFECT location for athletics, since is the only stadium in the world with a other twin athletic (for trainings) near the main one. Less than 50 meters far.

You can't say one good thing about Rio project (THAT HAVE A LOT OF ISSUE AND YES PROBLEMS BUT ALSO GOOD THINGS) because you didn't read it!!!!!!!!!!

Silly!

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope there are enough seats JH Stadium for us tourists - athletics is the "heart" of the Olympic Games...

Don't worry about that, Brazilians will not fullfill the stadium... Specially with no sun weather...

Onetimeonly...

Rio project is not perfect, CARALHO!!!! I never said otherwise!!!

but there is at least one thing in Rio project that, based you read Rio plans, you should like...

But, no, you didn't read!!! You've shown it in the last post!

For example... Canoe-Kayak project was the best among the bidders, a flat lagoon in the middle of the city with a huge stadium already built for it, besides the scenic, it was considered by the athletes one of the best locations for such kind of competition in the entire world?

And about athletic path in Joao Havelange stadium. IAAF pointed that JH is a PERFECT location for athletics, since is the only stadium in the world with a other twin athletic (for trainings) near the main one. Less than 50 meters far.

You can't say one good thing about Rio project (THAT HAVE A LOT OF ISSUE AND YES PROBLEMS BUT ALSO GOOD THINGS) because you didn't read it!!!!!!!!!!

Silly!

I'm not a great fan of your plan. If that upsets you, makes you angry, that's not my problem. It's yours. Rio will look pretty on television.

Honestly, your opinion really doesn't matter for me.

Indeed, here in GB there were more people against than in favour...

So the fact you don't like Rio's plan is not a new situation for me.

Oakydoky at least pointed their opinions with arguments before saying "Rio has the worst technical bid" at the end of all his posts.

Oakydoky's opinion also doesn't matter for me too...

I'm not here to search good thoughts about Rio. Since the beggining I'm here to fix crap people love to say about Rio and Brazil - a place 90% of people here never been or never knows much 'til last year.

Honestly, your opinion really doesn't matter for me.

Indeed, here in GB there were more people against than in favour...

So the fact you don't like Rio's plan is not a new situation for me.

Oakydoky at least pointed their opinions with arguments before saying "Rio has the worst technical bid" at the end of all his posts.

Oakydoky's opinion also doesn't matter for me too...

I'm not here to search good thoughts about Rio. Since the beggining I'm here to fix crap people love to say about Rio and Brazil - a place 90% of people here never been or never knows much 'til last year.

Guy, I can´t understand too, why you overreact always when a foreign guy say something that he/she deslike about what Brazil is proposing for 2016 Olympics. Olympics will be here in Brazil, but it does not mean that we are gonna do things only in our way. Olympics is a celebration for people around the world, not only for Brazilian and carioca people. If you think that the two stadium idea is ok, nice. But respect people that have different point of view.

I don´t like of this idea neither. Brazil is gonna break a tradition doing that, but breaking traditions is not that bad...by the way, I believe that this is not a major concern. Rio´s big goal is making a wonderful event, not puting the flame in the athletic stadium nor having on single stadium. We are 7 years from 2016, a lot of thing are gonna change, and when they start to think about the opening ceremonie, about where the flame will be, then it will be a concern. If people who are organizing it realise that it will be better put the ceremonies in JH, they gonna do it. I trust them, I believe that this games will be really nice, in on or two stadiums.

Guy, I can´t understand too, why you overreact always when a foreign guy say something that he/she deslike about what Brazil is proposing for 2016 Olympics. Olympics will be here in Brazil, but it does not mean that we are gonna do things only in our way. Olympics is a celebration for people around the world, not only for Brazilian and carioca people. If you think that the two stadium idea is ok, nice. But respect people that have different point of view.

Good Henrique. Now all foreign friends can not say all brazilians are naive and insecure. We all know Rio plans are not perfect. The issue here is Danny and a few others read things and went in a crusade against different point of views. It´s all "foreign people need to shut up" or "São Paulo is jealous" or "you are stupid". Light up! You can discuss things without temper tantrums. ;)

Every time a city wins the Olympics, there are those that don't like what is proposed. Some didn't like that Beijing had equestrian events in Hong Kong. Some don't like that Vancouver is using the domed BC Place for ceremonies. Some don't like that London is planning to down size the main stadium after the Games. Some don't like that Sochi is basically building everything from scratch.

But if the IOC, the OCOG, host governments and International Federations decide they can live with it, then that's basically how it is going to be. So no need for Cariocas and Brazilians to freak out at comments here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

You should introduce them to Musica Caipira...Brazil is not only about Samba and Bossa. ;)

Oh man! Rythms of Brazil! Choro, MPB, Bossa Nova, Xote, Xaxado, Baião, Forró, Frevo, Maracatú, Gaúcho, Repente, Brega, Funk, Samba, Axé Music, Afoxé, Sertanejo, Caipira and Samba Reggae... All Brazilian rythms... Brazil isn't only about Samba, or Bossa Nova, or Caipira too... want me to go on and on about each of them?

yes, capoeira and renteria, too!! ;)

Danny, this thing about "doing it (our) way," Yes, each host puts its own stamp on it; gives it its flavor. But the way the events are going to be scheduled; the way judgment calls are going to be made -- those will run to the way IOC and its flunky federations do things. Style, design, etc., yes, the HOST puts its personality on that. But the organization and procedurally, will be done a certain way, as the IOC has always done before. If there are good ideas and suggestions on how to make things more efficient, great. I don't see why the IOC would not adopt them.

Like they will probably accommodate Portuguese in the Ceremonies..but all the proper protocol parts and all the IOC meetings will still be conducted in French and English.

I am sure, when all is said and done, these will be remembered as the samba/carioca/Ipanema/carnaval Games...or whatever you want to call them.

I think toy made a mess here...

I never said a 60,000 seat stadium would be half empty...

I said a 100,000 seat stadium would be half empty for most events, you see?

50% od 100,000 is 50,000 and that's 83% of a 60,000 seat stadium...

Of course, for the main events and evenings, the stadium would be packed.

Chill out and read carefully... ;)

If you read what I said,I mentioned that 80,000 should be the ideal minimum standard for an Olympic Stadium.

Anyway,While I think the choice of Rio for 2016 is the right choice,the two stadium plan sucks.

The two problems I have is ....Whats next?...Are we going to see citys want the Ceremonies at Racetracks because they can hold 100,000+ people and put the track and field in a small stadium?

Track and Field is blu-riband of the Olympics.Tradition is that track and field is played at in the Olympic Stadium.The same stadium that opens and closes the games.Now in Rio,it will be played out in a small boutique Stadium that does not do justice to what role track and field play in the Olympics.

Now then we have the Maracana.To me,it just seems like an excuse to put the Maracana on the same level as the Olympic Stadiums in Rome,Berlin and Munich,to give it the unique honour of hosting the World Cup and the Opening ceremony.Thats all great,but problem is..the Maracana is a football stadium.Football....whose governing body,FIFA treat the Olympics with contempt.Treat the Olympics as an underage junior competition..A second rate event on the Football scale.

Yes..I know the history of the Maracana,buts its a Football History and has no relevance at all to the modern Olympics and more relevence to the Football World Cup.Its not even that big!.It wouldnt even be in the top 20 largest venues in the World.The only reason it got 199,000 was that in todays standards it broke every single heath and safety regulaltion that anyone could imagine.

I really hope this 2 stadium plan changes,but i doubt it.

To me, its break some great traditions of the Summer Games for the sake of a very average football stadium with a football history.On top of that,track and field suffer and get a small 60,000 seat stadium that would be more in line of Pan-American standards,not Olympic.

yes, capoeira and renteria, too!! ;)

Danny, this thing about "doing it (our) way," Yes, each host puts its own stamp on it; gives it its flavor. But the way the events are going to be scheduled; the way judgment calls are going to be made -- those will run to the way IOC and its flunky federations do things. Style, design, etc., yes, the HOST puts its personality on that. But the organization and procedurally, will be done a certain way, as the IOC has always done before. If there are good ideas and suggestions on how to make things more efficient, great. I don't see why the IOC would not adopt them.

Like they will probably accommodate Portuguese in the Ceremonies..but all the proper protocol parts and all the IOC meetings will still be conducted in French and English.

I am sure, when all is said and done, these will be remembered as the samba/carioca/Ipanema/carnaval Games...or whatever you want to call them.

No , No Hun!

Capoeira is not a musical rythm! It's more of a martial art/dance than anything else! lol! :D

I am not sure about what you mean with Renteria, thou. :lol:

If you read what I said,I mentioned that 80,000 should be the ideal minimum standard for an Olympic Stadium.

Anyway,While I think the choice of Rio for 2016 is the right choice,the two stadium plan sucks.

The two problems I have is ....Whats next?...Are we going to see citys want the Ceremonies at Racetracks because they can hold 100,000+ people and put the track and field in a small stadium?

Track and Field is blu-riband of the Olympics.Tradition is that track and field is played at in the Olympic Stadium.The same stadium that opens and closes the games.Now in Rio,it will be played out in a small boutique Stadium that does not do justice to what role track and field play in the Olympics.

What I wonder is, if this two stadium plan sticks, then which one is considered Rio's "Olympic Stadium"??? Maracana? Or João Havelange? They already call it "João Havelange Olympic Stadium" even though it's never had anything to do with the Olympics yet (and I'm surprised the IOC allowed that before Rio won the bid, because the IOC very tightly controls how the name "Olympic" can be used. A cruise line even had to change their name). If they move the ceremonies to João Havelange, then these questions won't be asked anymore.

What I wonder is, if this two stadium plan sticks, then which one is considered Rio's "Olympic Stadium"??? Maracana? Or João Havelange? They already call it "João Havelange Olympic Stadium" even though it's never had anything to do with the Olympics yet (and I'm surprised the IOC allowed that before Rio won the bid, because the IOC very tightly controls how the name "Olympic" can be used. A cruise line even had to change their name). If they move the ceremonies to João Havelange, then these questions won't be asked anymore.

How many stadiums in the world are called Olympic????

The call it Olympic because it have athletics path and grass for multi event sports... This is very common around the world.

As some place have "olympic-size swimming pool"...

You really want to find things to fight where there isn't...

I don´t like of this idea neither. Brazil is gonna break a tradition doing that, but breaking traditions is not that bad...by the way, I believe that this is not a major concern. Rio´s big goal is making a wonderful event, not puting the flame in the athletic stadium nor having on single stadium. We are 7 years from 2016, a lot of thing are gonna change, and when they start to think about the opening ceremonie, about where the flame will be, then it will be a concern. If people who are organizing it realise that it will be better put the ceremonies in JH, they gonna do it. I trust them, I believe that this games will be really nice, in on or two stadiums.

No, I don't!!! I prefer ceremonies at Joao Havelange Olympic Stadium![/b]

But I don't see the ceremonies in Maracana as a "huge mistake"...

How many times I have to say it here?

How many stadiums in the world are called Olympic????

The call it Olympic because it have athletics path and grass for multi event sports... This is very common around the world.

As some place have "olympic-size swimming pool"...

You really want to find things to fight where there isn't...

There's a difference between calling something "Such and such Olympic Stadium" and calling something "Olympic size". A pool is called an "Olympic size" swimming pool because it meets FINA regulations for Olympic competition in terms of certain parameters. Merely having an althetics path and grass does not make something Olympic. If that's the case, every high school in the United States that has a track field is "Olympic".

There's a difference between calling something "Such and such Olympic Stadium" and calling something "Olympic size". A pool is called an "Olympic size" swimming pool because it meets FINA regulations for Olympic competition in terms of certain parameters. Merely having an althetics path and grass does not make something Olympic. If that's the case, every high school in the United States that has a track field is "Olympic".

A lot of stadiums around the world who've had nothing to do with the Olympics call themselves "Olympic Stadium"

Off the top of my head I can think of Sevilla's Olympic Stadium (Estadio Olimpico de Sevilla), Santiago has its Estadio Olimpico, there's a National Olympic Stadium in Phnom Penh, Olympic Stadium in Ashkhabad etc etc.

About stadiums, there many Olympic stadiums (formal names) around the world... Even in those countries and cities that never hosted the games.

A lot of stadiums around the world who've had nothing to do with the Olympics call themselves "Olympic Stadium"

Off the top of my head I can think of Sevilla's Olympic Stadium (Estadio Olimpico de Sevilla), Santiago has its Estadio Olimpico, there's a National Olympic Stadium in Phnom Penh, Olympic Stadium in Ashkhabad etc etc.

Well I'm surprised the IOC allows this - especially if those stadiums make money in any way - because you know how protective the IOC is of the name "Olympic". Just try using it, they'll sue you and tell you to change your name!

Well I'm surprised the IOC allows this - especially if those stadiums make money in any way - because you know how protective the IOC is of the name "Olympic". Just try using it, they'll sue you and tell you to change your name!

In Oz, just about every second suburb has its own "Olympic Pool" (note, not just called Olympic-sized pool, but "North Sydney Olympic Pool", Leichhardt Olympic Pool" etc etc)

In Oz, just about every second suburb has its own "Olympic Pool" (note, not just called Olympic-sized pool, but "North Sydney Olympic Pool", Leichhardt Olympic Pool" etc etc)

Well I guess the IOC can't go after every instance, so they go after things like cruise lines and other big commercial businesses.

Well I guess the IOC can't go after every instance, so they go after things like cruise lines and other big commercial businesses.

I'm sure the IOC are hardly unaware of the large number of well known sports complexes using the name Olympic around the world.

They tried to shut down the "Olympic" Pub in Sydney before the games, but lost that because the name went back such a long time.

I'm sure the IOC are hardly unaware of the large number of well known sports complexes using the name Olympic around the world.

They tried to shut down the "Olympic" Pub in Sydney before the games, but lost that because the name went back such a long time.

Right, so they pick and choose their battles. The cruise line I speak of was "Royal Olympic Cruises". The IOC sued them and they had to change their name to "Royal Olympia Cruises". The later went bankrupt. Probably, the IOC looks the other way when it's used for a sporting facility, or they simply make that exception.

But I AM surprised that no-one in this thread's brought up the fact that Chicago initially also offered a "two stadium" concept for their games bid ... and then exactly where talked out of it by the powers that be.

Yeah, the USOC talked Chicago out of that, cause they told them that it wasn't going to fly with the IOC (Houston's plans also involved a 2-stadium deal). But yet we have Rio. The IOC is so damn fickle, that it's not even funny.

I think in these cases, stadiums calls itself "Olympic" because they are able to host many sports...

The word "olympic" in stadiums case is like an adjective, not a brand.

But when I was a child, I always wanted to know, why Gremio (a major soccer team in Brazil) stadium in Porto Alegre is called Olympic Stadium, since Porto Alegre never hosted Olympic Games...

LOL

I undestand what Onetimeonly said...

Archived