Why Does Rio Insist On Two Stadiums?

Why I dont expect 100,000 for every Olympic Stadium,80,000 should be compulsory for all Olympic Track and Field.

Ehhh...and 80,000 seater fills up only for the stellar events--a lot of the running finals--which happen in the last 5 days of competition. Other than that, like the first week of competition, you get like a 55-60% average attendance.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well condsidering 112.524 watched Cathy Freeman win the 400m in Sydney 2000,it is over 52,000 seats smaller than Sydney.

Why I dont expect 100,000 for every Olympic Stadium,80,000 should be compulsory for all Olympic Track and Field.

It would be half empty (or full) for most of the events... For the main events, I'm afraid the remaining 20,000 will have to watch it on a big screen at the beach or at home...

Well, the Olympic flame in the main Athletics stadium burns alone for half the Games. The Athletics competitions don't start until the second week of the Games.

I can live with the Rio ceremonies stadium solution. Maracana is just bigger and they need the capacity to accommodate the larger crowds that would be drawn to the ceremonies. Yeah, it bends a tradition, but it is more practical and suits Rio's organizing committee and legacy plan.

I guess they could try and reconfigure the lower bowl to fit athletics, but I doubt that would happen with Maracana being in frequent use and being a prime soccer/football facility it would difficult to do.

Heheh. Don't want to start an off topic debate but Samba is rhythm that the black slaves brought with them when they were traded to Bahia state. But it wasn't what its today. It was in Bahia that the "today's samba" was created and exported to Rio

via the Baianos that went to work in Sugar-Canes Platantion in Rio de Janeiro and took part in the yearly festivals there (Carnival).

Also, Vinicius and Tom made it famous but the 'father' of Bossa nova is a Baiano, João Gilberto :P

Yeh, I know Rio was more important for both of rhythm but lets not give wrong info for the gringos!

:lol:

Of course!!! And it wasn't the Alagoanos way back to the time of Quilombo dos Palmares (BTW, located in the MIDDLE of the state of Alagoas, symbol of the liberty of African-Brazilians slaves) who invented the Tapioca and Capoeira... Gilberto Gil once said it was invented in Bahia! If he says so, then it's true! He even said that frevo wasn't invented in Pernambuco!! Where then?? Ohh of course, Bahia!!!

Everything was invented in Bahia, of course!!!

Just don't come and say that Oktoberfest in Blumenau was an idea of the Bahianos! It will be too much!

BTW I love Bahia and Salvador, of course, but you guys want to take credit for everything!

How do you know what the IOC members really think? You cling to this security blanket notion that "the IOC gave us the games, therefore, every aspect of our plan is warmly endorsed.". Dude, just because 66 IOC members voted to hold the games in Rio, doesn't nessicarily mean that they all are in love with the two stadium plan. Rio won the games for other reasons, and the flaw of two stadiums was overlooked. YOU WERE CUT SOME SLACK. Slack, I might add, that other wealthy nations would not have been cut. I could give a crap how famous or not famous Macaroni stadium is. My beef is that Athletics and the ceremonies are being held in two different stadiums, breaking Olympic tradition in more ways than one.

It's amazing how immature and insecure Brazil comes across, based on several of the Brazilian posters here.

"We'll do it OUR way".

"I don't like all this criticism"

"Get used to OUR house.'

"It has meaning for US"

Okay, you'd better get this into your little heads: Rio has been given the PRIVILEGE of hosting the Olympic Games FOR THE WORLD. The Olympic Games do NOT belong to Brazil. They belong to the WORLD, and you must take into account long standing Olympic traditions and the criticisms of other countries. You're merely being allowed to be host the party in 2016.

Braz is the only Brazilian poster that comes across sensible and mature.

Useless to try to make you understand a thing.

But let me try it in your language...

When Atlanta hosted the olympics, were you interested in what Mexico, for example, had to say about how the ATLANTA OC would go? No! You just did your way, The US American way. Better, the way people in the South of US would like to see it. Full of "Y'ALLS", Cheerleaders and cheesy costumes. So, it was your way when it was your time. That's what's the "GET USED TO OUR HOUSE" IS ABOUT. It doens't matter to THE USA, when the olympics are held in the USA if freaking Mexico or Brazil will hate the US southern style of life shown in their freaking ceremony. It won't matter to the USA if freaking Canadians will hate that they`ll need to travel all the way down to Miami to watch a Brazil x Ghana football match. NOW IT's OUR TIME and we're entitled to BUILD UP the ceremony, plan and ONLY the IOC will have something to SAY at THE END OF THE DAY. If they don't like our plan, they will have the final word on the changes needed to be done, but the SOUL AND HEART of these GAMES OF THE XXXI OLYMPIAD are down to BRAZILIANS to DECIDE.

We're open to criticism, but we're not open for you to come here and throw your insecurites and disappointments and the anguish to have lost on us. Go find somewhere else to storm out, instead of making us waste our precious time with this useless *****.

Useless to try to make you understand a thing.

But let me try it in your language...

When Atlanta hosted the olympics, were you interested in what Mexico, for example, had to say about how the ATLANTA OC would go? No! You just did your way, The US American way. Better, the way people in the South of US would like to see it. Full of "Y'ALLS", Cheerleaders and cheesy costumes. So, it was your way when it was your time. That's what's the "GET USED TO OUR HOUSE" IS ABOUT. It doens't matter to THE USA, when the olympics are held in the USA if freaking Mexico or Brazil will hate the US southern style of life shown in their freaking ceremony. It won't matter to the USA if freaking Canadians will hate that they`ll need to travel all the way down to Miami to watch a Brazil x Ghana football match. NOW IT's OUR TIME and we're entitled to BUILD UP the ceremony, plan and ONLY the IOC will have something to SAY at THE END OF THE DAY. If they don't like our plan, they will have the final word on the changes needed to be done, but the SOUL AND HEART of these GAMES OF THE XXXI OLYMPIAD are down to BRAZILIANS to DECIDE.

Nobody here has tried to tell you what the content of your Opening Ceremonies should be, that's not what this thread has been about. So you're totally off base. And just FYI, I hated the Atlanta games, I criticize them all the time. I hated the ceremonies with the white trash pick up trucks on the field and I hated that the Atlanta games ever happened. So no insult to me by insulting the Atlanta games. Trash them all you want. I hate them too.

We're open to criticism

No, apparently you are not.

but we're not open for you to come here and throw your insecurites and disappointments and the anguish to have lost on us. Go find somewhere else to storm out, instead of making us waste our precious time with this useless *****.

So defensive and so wrong. My insecurities and disappointments? I had nothing invested in the Chicago bid. My insecurities? Brazilians, as demonstrated by the posters on this forum, are one of the most insecure peoples and countries in the world. Also immature and naive. Oh please pick us! We're so grown up now! Please let us play with the big boys! And we will cry and stomp our feet when criticized! We don't like it!

It's really easy to get you upset. "Freaking" this, and "freaking" that, shouts of "get over yourself" etc etc. It's funny. So easy to make you get so upset and mad.

LOL. Get used to it, or get out of the kitchen

I don't necessarily start to get the vapours at the mere mention that Rio may, gasp! use separate stadiums. Whatever works for the host works. Tradition's good, but it can always be tweaked. We're all pretty comfortable now with the WOGs having nightly medal ceremony plazas, right? (even if I hope that idea doesn't come to the summers as well). And some traditions start to get in the way of workability anyway - I'd sure love to tweak the "March of Nations" for each OC into something less than an hour plus of tedium.

The IOC accepted the Rio plan. They may try and talk the ROCOG round if they care enough about it. But Rio can now insist on delivering what they bid with. Time wil tell, we'll see ...

But I AM surprised that no-one in this thread's brought up the fact that Chicago initially also offered a "two stadium" concept for their games bid ... and then exactly where talked out of it by the powers that be.

Exactly! Maybe it doesn't hurt any citizen of the world as much as it hurts this One Time Only guy...

Exactly! Maybe it doesn't hurt any citizen of the world as much as it hurts this One Time Only guy...

I'm not the only one who doesn't like the plan. And others have said that they can live with it, but that doesn't mean they think it's great. I've just been the most vocal in this thread about it. I mean, I started the thread. Yes, I hate the the two stadium plan, and so do many others. Don't fool yourselves. It's not universally loved, and in many instances, is only tolerated.

Nobody here has tried to tell you what the content of your Opening Ceremonies should be, that's not what this thread has been about. So you're totally off base. And just FYI, I hated the Atlanta games, I criticize them all the time. I hated the ceremonies with the white trash pick up trucks on the field and I hated that the Atlanta games ever happened. So no insult to me by insulting the Atlanta games. Trash them all you want. I hate them too.

No, apparently you are not.

So defensive and so wrong. My insecurities and disappointments? I had nothing invested in the Chicago bid. My insecurities? Brazilians, as demonstrated by the posters on this forum, are one of the most insecure peoples and countries in the world. Also immature and naive. Oh please pick us! We're so grown up now! Please let us play with the big boys! And we will cry and stomp our feet when criticized! We don't like it!

It's really easy to get you upset. "Freaking" this, and "freaking" that, shouts of "get over yourself" etc etc. It's funny. So easy to make you get so upset and mad.

LOL. Get used to it, or get out of the kitchen

Ok,

To show you my appreciation for your maturity and lack of imperfections I will put an end to this pushing the Ignore button on you. I'll save you the time of dealing with one of the childish Brazilians and his naivety!

At least the 'begging" in your point of view was a win with a vast majority of the votes, that almost happened in the second ballot because of two votes only. Who wondered?

|IGNORE ONETIMEONLY| < - clicked! ;) |REST MY BEAUTY| < - clicked! ;)

Ok,

To show you my appreciation for your maturity and lack of imperfections I will put an end to this pushing the Ignore button on you. I'll save you the time of dealing with one of the childish Brazilians and his naivety!

At least the 'begging" in your point of view was a win with a vast majority of the votes, that almost happened in the second ballot because of two votes only. Who wondered?

|IGNORE ONETIMEONLY| < - clicked! ;) |REST MY BEAUTY| < - clicked! ;)

Yup, can't take the criticism. The Brazilians here, in particular DannyelBrazil and Denis-the-Dentist, just want everyone to love their plan to host the games unconditionally and completely, and it upsets them too much to have someone say, "hey, you know what? I hate this aspect of your bid and I think it sucks! Your plan isn't perfect." They just want everyone to react with smiles and hugs, because "oh Brazil finally won how nice", "oh they were the underdog, how sweet" Smile, smile, and "oh congratulations and your plan is perfect, it's so perfect!" Smile, smile.

Do you live in the real world? You apparently don't want to.

wow - that is interesting - of course I heard of the Bossa Nova before, but I wasn't aware what rythym it is...

You are right the Opening ceremony is split into 16 part (the first part isn't really necessary - that was just a kind of intro - it starts with part 2)

This was the only "show act" during the OC in Munich

Handover of the traditional Olympic Flag from Mexico to Munich mexican and bavarian folklore during the OC in Munich

lightning of the olympic flame during the the OC in Munich (dove flight - pay attention that one dove lands in the Brazilian team and the athletes took care of the bird)

OH YEAH! And it's the blonde hot girl who held it! Man, she had two moments on the German OC!

I'm starting one thread about facts about Rio and Brazil soon. I'll probably explain things like this Bossa Nova/Samba issue! They are pretty different, but for you guys that don't listen to them oftenly it might be hard to identify the Brazilian rythms properly!

I love Bossa Nova, not so Much Samba (only in rare times I said MAN I liked that samba!)

OH YEAH! And it's the blonde hot girl who held it! Man, she had two moments on the German OC!

I'm starting one thread about facts about Rio and Brazil soon. I'll probably explain things like this Bossa Nova/Samba issue! They are pretty different, but for you guys that don't listen to them oftenly it might be hard to identify the Brazilian rythms properly!

I love Bossa Nova, not so Much Samba (only in rare times I said MAN I liked that samba!)

You should introduce them to Musica Caipira...Brazil is not only about Samba and Bossa. ;)

Yup, can't take the criticism. The Brazilians here, in particular DannyelBrazil and Denis-the-Dentist, just want everyone to love their plan to host the games unconditionally and completely, and it upsets them too much to have someone say, "hey, you know what? I hate this aspect of your bid and I think it sucks! Your plan isn't perfect." They just want everyone to react with smiles and hugs, because "oh Brazil finally won how nice", "oh they were the underdog, how sweet" Smile, smile, and "oh congratulations and your plan is perfect, it's so perfect!" Smile, smile.

Do you live in the real world? You apparently don't want to.

No you're wrong, how many times I need to say to u that I prefer, for example, Marathon swimming at Flamengo Beach,

cauldron and ceremonies at JH Stadium, Maria Lenk exclusive for water polo, beachvolleyball athletes acommodations in Copacabana...

The plan is not perfect. It will have changes soon, since IOC will go to Rio in november to start preparations for the games.

But you love to point that everything is definitivelly WRONG in Rio 2016...

At this very moment, IOC is not concerned about Rio plans except for how athletes will go from Olympic Village to the venues. Did you really read IOC Evaluation Report?

How many questions IOC made for Rio venues plan? How many for the others bidders?

I don't know where you are from, but it seems you are really mad about your favorite have been defeated, because everything in your opinion in Rio bid is uncorrect!

Tell me a good thing, something I approved in Rio masterplan. I dare you!

It would be half empty (or full) for most of the events... For the main events, I'm afraid the remaining 20,000 will have to watch it on a big screen at the beach or at home...

Why will the stadium be half empty?? that is pathetic!..For a country of 200 million people,you cannot fill a stadium for track and field in an Olympics????

All track and field were sold out in Sydney..EVERY SESSION..AM and PM...

Obviously less people attended the AM session even if they had tickets.I know myself,I had tickets to all track sessions at Stadium Australia.While I didnt miss the evening finals,I did skip 2-3 morning session,even when I had a valid ticket.Also corporates a less likely to turn up in the morning.

Here is attandance at Stadium Australia during the Olympics

114,714 -Closing Ceremony-Sydney Olympics- 1 Oct 2000 

112,524 -Track and Field (pm)-Sydney Olympics-25 Sep 2000 

106,106 -Track and Field (pm)-Sydney Olympics-28 Sep 2000 

105,213 -Track and Field (pm)-Sydney Olympics-30 Sep 2000 

104,228 -Track and Field (pm)-Sydney Olympics-23 Sep 2000 

104,012 -Soccer -Football Final-Sydney Olympics-30 Sep 2000

102,844 -Track and Field (pm)-Sydney Olympics-27 Sep 2000 

102,485 -Track and Field (pm)-Sydney Olympics-22 Sep 2000 

101,772 -Track and Field (pm)-Sydney Olympics-24 Sep 2000 

99,722 -Opening Ceremony-Sydney Olympics -15 Sep 2000 

99,428 -Track and Field (pm)-Sydney Olympics-29 Sep 2000 

97,432 -Track and Field (am)-Sydney Olympics-22 Sep 2000 

96,127 -Track and Field (am)-Sydney Olympics-27 Sep 2000 

94,127 -Track and Field (am)-Sydney Olympics-29 Sep 2000 

92,665 -Track and Field (am)-Sydney Olympics-23 Sep 2000 

92,154 -Track and Field (am)-Sydney Olympics-25 Sep 2000 

89,254 -Track and Field (am)-Sydney Olympics-28 Sep 2000 

85,506 -Track and Field (am)-Sydney Olympics-24 Sep 2000

and Rio is worried about getting more than 50% in a 60,000 seat stadium???

It wouldnt of been a problem in Chicago.

Interesting. Never realized there was a 15,000 seat difference between the Sydney OC and the CC. Did that waterfall and rail account for 15,000 seats (that's a good 15% of the seating capacity)?

Why will the stadium be half empty?? that is pathetic!..For a country of 200 million people,you cannot fill a stadium for track and field in an Olympics????

All track and field were sold out in Sydney..EVERY SESSION..AM and PM...

Obviously less people attended the AM session even if they had tickets.I know myself,I had tickets to all track sessions at Stadium Australia.While I didnt miss the evening finals,I did skip 2-3 morning session,even when I had a valid ticket.Also corporates a less likely to turn up in the morning.

Here is attandance at Stadium Australia during the Olympics

112,524 -Track and Field (pm)-Sydney Olympics-25 Sep 2000 

106,106 -Track and Field (pm)-Sydney Olympics-28 Sep 2000 

105,213 -Track and Field (pm)-Sydney Olympics-30 Sep 2000 

104,228 -Track and Field (pm)-Sydney Olympics-23 Sep 2000 

104,012 -Soccer -Football Final-Sydney Olympics-30 Sep 2000

102,844 -Track and Field (pm)-Sydney Olympics-27 Sep 2000 

102,485 -Track and Field (pm)-Sydney Olympics-22 Sep 2000 

101,772 -Track and Field (pm)-Sydney Olympics-24 Sep 2000 

99,428 -Track and Field (pm)-Sydney Olympics-29 Sep 2000 

97,432 -Track and Field (am)-Sydney Olympics-22 Sep 2000 

96,127 -Track and Field (am)-Sydney Olympics-27 Sep 2000 

94,127 -Track and Field (am)-Sydney Olympics-29 Sep 2000 

92,665 -Track and Field (am)-Sydney Olympics-23 Sep 2000 

92,154 -Track and Field (am)-Sydney Olympics-25 Sep 2000 

89,254 -Track and Field (am)-Sydney Olympics-28 Sep 2000 

85,506 -Track and Field (am)-Sydney Olympics-24 Sep 2000

It wouldnt of been a problem in Chicago.

Rio is worried about what ? This guy "Feheva" must be crazy. I´m sure that in Track Field, we'll have stadium full of people;

Rio is worried about what ? This guy "Feheva" must be crazy. I´m sure that in Track Field, we'll have stadium full of people;

Why don't you try to read the whole thread and understand the context instead of calling people crazy?

I think toy made a mess here...

I never said a 60,000 seat stadium would be half empty...

I said a 100,000 seat stadium would be half empty for most events, you see?

50% od 100,000 is 50,000 and that's 83% of a 60,000 seat stadium...

Of course, for the main events and evenings, the stadium would be packed.

Chill out and read carefully... ;)

Feheva, I understand your concern about Track and Field stadium be empty of crowded if we count only Brazilians, since track and field is not the major sport here and during PanAms, JH Stadium was not crowded.

But many tourists will fly down to Rio and probably JH Stadium will be crowded of proud supporters from around the world.

But badminton venues...

Feheva, I understand your concern about Track and Field stadium be empty of crowded if we count only Brazilians, since track and field is not the major sport here and during PanAms, JH Stadium was not crowded.

But many tourists will fly down to Rio and probably JH Stadium will be crowded of proud supporters from around the world.

Actually, I'm not concerned at all!

I'm defending Rio's choice of having two stadiums and I believe the JH stadium will nearly full at all times, since it's not a 80,000 seat.

I agree with you that people from abroad will be responsible for, at least, a third of the attandance, but it's only a guess... Does anyone have these figures from previous SOG?

But badminton venues...

:lol::lol::lol:

No you're wrong, how many times I need to say to u that I prefer, for example, Marathon swimming at Flamengo Beach,

cauldron and ceremonies at JH Stadium, Maria Lenk exclusive for water polo, beachvolleyball athletes acommodations in Copacabana...

The plan is not perfect. It will have changes soon, since IOC will go to Rio in november to start preparations for the games.

But you love to point that everything is definitivelly WRONG in Rio 2016...

At this very moment, IOC is not concerned about Rio plans except for how athletes will go from Olympic Village to the venues. Did you really read IOC Evaluation Report?

How many questions IOC made for Rio venues plan? How many for the others bidders?

I don't know where you are from, but it seems you are really mad about your favorite have been defeated, because everything in your opinion in Rio bid is uncorrect!

Tell me a good thing, something I approved in Rio masterplan. I dare you!

Oh how naive you are. And you just make assumptions. I didn't have a favorite. It really didn't matter to me whether Chicago won or lost, Madrid won or lost, or Tokyo won or lost. I was just watching the show.

The entire IOC is not the evaluation commission. Stop hanging on to that security blanket. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Rio was cut some slack, given a pass, and Rio was approved for other reasons.

As far as saying "something good" about Rio's plan, there you go again. You want everyone to love your plan. Not everyone is going to love your plan. Some people might hate your entire plan. That's the way it goes as it goes for every city that wins. You really really really need to deal with this. And stop assuming that because someone doesn't like either part or all of Rio's plan that "they must just be mad because their preferred city lost". My, my, you do think in simplistic ways.

The Brazilians here, in particular DannyelBrazil and Denis-the-Dentist, just want everyone to love their plan to host the games unconditionally and completely, and it upsets them too much to have someone say, "hey, you know what? I hate this aspect of your bid and I think it sucks! Your plan isn't perfect." They just want everyone to react with smiles and hugs, because "oh Brazil finally won how nice", "oh they were the underdog, how sweet" Smile, smile, and "oh congratulations and your plan is perfect, it's so perfect!" Smile, smile.
I think Rio will present a beautiful and picturesque natural setting for the games. It will look stunning on television, as I'm sure Corcovado, Sugarloaf and the bay look in person. It's aspects of your plan I have problems with, and it's only a couple of things. But some of the Brazilians here just can't take the fact that someone out there thinks the plan has flaws and is not gushing over how perfect it all is. They may want to view it as such, but Brazil winning the games is not some fairy tale with perfect details. Compromises have been made, and every city that wins takes heat. Some Brazilian posters around here are very sensitive and having trouble with this.

Archived