Why Does Rio Insist On Two Stadiums?

Maracana isn't the most famous stadium in the world. I'd never heard of it before Rio started bidding.

Wow, really?! :huh::o

I'd say it's up there with Wembley, the Bernabeu, the Old Yankee Stadium, the Birds Nest (now), San Siro, Berlin Olympic Stadium, the Azteca, the Nou Camp, the MCG etc. in terms of famous world stadiums. It's one of the top 10, certainly and it's not out of place in this esteemed company.

It's going to amazing to see the world cup there, though I'd agree with you regarding the ceremonies situation. I mean, we have Wembley, which is bigger capacity-wise than our Olympic stadium and more famous than it; but I'd never advocate having our ceremonies there just because of these facts.

I disagree with your stance on the marathons. That doesn't bother me really. It's only the ceremonies and the awkward two cauldrons situation that bugs me.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say it's up there with Wembley, the Bernabeu, the Old Yankee Stadium, the Birds Nest (now), San Siro, Berlin Olympic Stadium, the Azteca, the Nou Camp, the MCG etc. in terms of famous world stadiums. It's one of the top 10, certainly and it's not out of place in this esteemed company.

He/she doesn't seem to be a football (or soccer) fan...

the Bernabeu....San Siro......the Nou Camp, the MCG etc. in terms of famous world stadiums.

I've never heard of any of those stadiums either...

Barring newcomers like the Birds Nest, and barring stadiums in the United States back yard, Wembley is the most famous stadium I had ever heard of (not the only international stadium I had ever heard of, of course, but definitely the most famous I had ever heard of).

It surprises me that you've not heard of the stadiums of Real Madrid, the Milan teams, Barcelona, and the most famous and iconic stadium in Australia. But that, I think in some ways, proves our point.

Maracana is a hugely famous stadium in footballing countries (which, granted, is two thirds of the globe). But is it appropriate to have a stadium which is so famous for one sport and which will only have one set of medals handed out inside it (in an under-23 competition at that), hosting Olympic ceremonies? I can perfectly understand why you, someone from a non-footballing country, would find this a bizarre idea.

It surprises me that you've not heard of the stadiums of Real Madrid, the Milan teams, Barcelona, and the most famous and iconic stadium in Australia. But that, I think in some ways, proves our point.

Maracana is a hugely famous stadium in footballing countries (which, granted, is two thirds of the globe). But is it appropriate to have a stadium which is so famous for one sport and which will only have one set of medals handed out inside it (in an under-23 competition at that), hosting Olympic ceremonies? I can perfectly understand why you, someone from a non-footballing country, would find this a bizarre idea.

very well said, Rob!!!

I really like the fact that Rio is using two venues - one for it's ceremonies and one for the athletics competition.

This has benefits as the Maracana has a larger capacity than the main athletics stadium and so for the ceremonies allows more people to enjoy them. The 60,000 capacity athletics stadium is smaller than previous stadiums but is still a great size and means that the venues will be packed and full of fans as opposed to having a huge 100,000 seat stadium bare with empty seats as it is hard to fill.

Further, from a practical standpoint, it means the Rio organisers can set up for the ceremonies easily and not have to rush on the last day of the athletics program to make the transition for the closing ceremony in the usual setting of the athletics stadium.

Also, symbolically, the Olympic flame will be lit at the venue associated with the ceremonies. Sometimes I think that athletics gets all the attention but this way a more neutral venue will be used to light the flame. I know the Maracana will host football, but it means that symbolically (at least to me) that Brazil's most famous stadium will house the Olympic flame.

Just some thoughts.

Well, yeah, I don't follow or care about soccer (and for that matter I don't care about American football or baseball or NBA basketball or hockey either), and I think you've helped prove my point about Maracana. Maracana is famous because it's a football stadium, whereas the name "Wembley" is famous for all kinds of things, not just football, but concerts and other events too. Famous enough that I've heard of it, though I am not a football fan. "Wembley" is famous in general, while the name "Maracana" means nothing to me and a lot of other people too. However, the fame of Maracana really isn't the issue. It's two separate stadiums that is the real issue.

Well, yeah, I don't follow or care about soccer (and for that matter I don't care about American football or baseball or NBA basketball or hockey either), and I think you've helped prove my point about Maracana. Maracana is famous because it's a football stadium, whereas the name "Wembley" is famous for all kinds of things, not just football, but concerts and other events too. Famous enough that I've heard of it, though I am not a football fan. "Wembley" is famous in general, while the name "Maracana" means nothing to me and a lot of other people too. However, the fame of Maracana really isn't the issue. It's two separate stadiums that is the real issue.

maracana held Pope John Paul II visit to Rio. The biggest Frank Sinatra show ever, madonna, paul mc cartney, indeed maracana stadium (this is true) held the biggest attendance for a volley match: 130,000 people!!!!

Maracana have a lot of history, that's why Brazil can honour Maracana with the Opening Ceremony...

But if this is a problem for IOC, Rio OG will not complain about change it...

And I will be happy with JH hosting the ceremonies...

But IAAF liked the idea and full supported the JH as exclusive venue for Athletics. So... Probably it will not change...

Indeed, Maracana also held the biggest attendance for a sport event.

World Cup Final match in 1950 had 201,000 attendace inside the stadium (Only god knows how).

Other facts:

Harlem Globetrotters made it biggest game in attendance there too in 1952.

Kiss (250,000 attendance!!!), Paul McCartney, Maddona, Frank Sinatra, Sting, Tina Turner (the biggest show with paying publig ever - Guiness - 188,000 people)...

Huge events were held there...

Check wikipedia and again, get surprised!

This OneTimeOnly is a zealot.

I'd prefer to have Ceremonies in another stadium. It actually makes it easier for both the Ceremonies people and the Athletics group to NOT be in each other's way. But what does OneTime Onyl know? He's never worked an Olympic Games to know that.

Newbies don't realize that in using only 1 stadium, they hardly ever get to rehearse Closing because Athletics is in there up to the last day. But if there are 2 separate stadia, I assure you the Closing Ceremony will be nearly as good as Opening.

But Baron, soccer/football final should be in the last day... And probably final soccer in the olympic will be held in Maracana...

Is this a problem?

Small prob. Whenever Ceremonies' last rehearsal will be...probably 4 days before the soccer final, then they'll just cover the field. But unless Rio wants to spend like $25 million* for an underground stage like Beijing or Athens, then you won't have those high-tech-type Ceremonies that we saw in Beijing. And then they'll just put the tarp over the field again for the Closing. But that shouldn't stop the Ceremonies group from putting in a good show as well.

*I don't think it's going to be in the budget. I looked at the Ceremonies budget in the bid book.

This OneTimeOnly is a zealot.

That's rich coming from you.

But what does OneTime Onyl know? He's never worked an Olympic Games to know that.

Have you? No. I know you haven't.

Newbies don't realize that in using only 1 stadium, they hardly ever get to rehearse Closing because Athletics is in there up to the last day. But if there are 2 separate stadia, I assure you the Closing Ceremony will be nearly as good as Opening.

Oh yeah, if you're a newbie to posting in this forum, you know nothing about the Olympics. It's not possible to know anything about the games until you're a poster here. And everyone who is a newbie poster here is also brand new to following the Olympic Games. :rolleyes:

Heh. What a joke. :rolleyes:

Why a joke? It's different! It will end somewhere with MEANING to our country. Sambódromo is home to Rio de Janeiro's carnaval and the place has something to be said about. Like in Athens, the marathon ended in a place with meaning to their country and it was beautiful.

Get over yourself.

Well, well, what do we have here.

The IOC's vote to award Rio the right to stage the 2016 Olympic games should send a huge message to those bidding cities who rely on arrogance and greed to push themselves into the spotlight. Madrid was a pleasant surprise, Tokyo was an awful surprise, Rio (YAY!) conformed to expectations, and most certainly did Chicago.

Over and over and over again, since the bidding for these games began, the variables were clearly presented on the forums of Gamesbids as to why Chicago was not going to host the 2016 Olympic Games. For those who were not familiar with the stated factors, here they are:

The Fatigue Variable :- The IOC's International Representatives and the entire WORLD I might add, were exhausted to see the games return to the US over and over and over and over again. In the end, like it or not, monotony grows distasteful!

The Global Financial Crisis Variable:- The fact remains that The US is responsible, to a staggeringly significant degree, for the current global economic crisis. Additionally, the "greed" behind Chicago's bid to have the US host the games again most certainly did not set the correct tone to those who were intimately involved in the selection/voting process.

The US Doping Variable:- The undeniable fact remains that everyone is aware of the complete disregard for the ideals of clean participation in sport over the last decade by U.S athletes. Most notably, those in Track and Field. The IOC had to insist that a strong message be sent.

The Salt Lake City Scandal Variable:- which tarnished the Chicago bid and again, was a grotesque compromise of the ideals of the IOC formal bidding process.

The Arrogance Variable:- which was heightened by the over-reliance on the US President Barak Obama. Chicago made the fatal error of using Presedent Obama to gloss over the obvious fissures in their Bid proposal to the IOC, hoping that his universally respected charm and elegance would persuade the voting delegates to hand the games to the US. It was, in every regard, an insulting move against every IOC delegate, and the intelligence each possesses.

The GamesBids Variable:- Believe it or not, every member on Gamesbids in not JUST a fan. Who knows? Maybe, just maybe, when it all comes down to the pith of the whole situation, some members of Gamesbids hold the power in their hands and minds.

I would like, most graciously at this time to thank Rio for an exceptionally stunning bid and to formally congratulate them on bringing the games to South America for the first time. I would also at this time want to suggest that this victory is perhaps the loudest, most unmistakable indirect message to the Canadian City of Toronto to commence working towards an Olympic future. Be assertive not arrogant, be meticulous not dismissive, be determined and your efforts shall not fail. This should most ceratinly apply to Toronto in its bid to stage the 2015 Pan American Games. Scutinize carefully who you choose, if you so choose, to lead your bid. See you in

Vancouver 2010

London 2012

and

Rio 2016!!!!!!!!!!

You could not say that. Most of the time the Stadium is half empty (qualification session). Yes, for some finals, you would be able to host more than 100,000 peoples. But for all men 100m finals, your stadium will be always to small.

So I think that 65,000 seats is a reasonable thing. Let's have the maximum attendance first for both sessions...

This is what really matters... Don't be afraid of changes onetimeonly... You'll survive... ;)

Well, well, what do we have here.

The IOC's vote to award Rio the right to stage the 2016 Olympic games should send a huge message to those bidding cities who rely on arrogance and greed to push themselves into the spotlight. Madrid was a pleasant surprise, Tokyo was an awful surprise, Rio (YAY!) conformed to expectations, and most certainly did Chicago.

Over and over and over again, since the bidding for these games began, the variables were clearly presented on the forums of Gamesbids as to why Chicago was not going to host the 2016 Olympic Games. For those who were not familiar with the stated factors, here they are:

The Fatigue Variable :- The IOC's International Representatives and the entire WORLD I might add, were exhausted to see the games return to the US over and over and over and over again. In the end, like it or not, monotony grows distasteful!

The Global Financial Crisis Variable:- The fact remains that The US is responsible, to a staggeringly significant degree, for the current global economic crisis. Additionally, the "greed" behind Chicago's bid to have the US host the games again most certainly did not set the correct tone to those who were intimately involved in the selection/voting process.

The US Doping Variable:- The undeniable fact remains that everyone is aware of the complete disregard for the ideals of clean participation in sport over the last decade by U.S athletes. Most notably, those in Track and Field. The IOC had to insist that a strong message be sent.

The Salt Lake City Scandal Variable:- which tarnished the Chicago bid and again, was a grotesque compromise of the ideals of the IOC formal bidding process.

The Arrogance Variable:- which was heightened by the over-reliance on the US President Barak Obama. Chicago made the fatal error of using Presedent Obama to gloss over the obvious fissures in their Bid proposal to the IOC, hoping that his universally respected charm and elegance would persuade the voting delegates to hand the games to the US. It was, in every regard, an insulting move against every IOC delegate, and the intelligence each possesses.

The GamesBids Variable:- Believe it or not, every member on Gamesbids in not JUST a fan. Who knows? Maybe, just maybe, when it all comes down to the pith of the whole situation, some members of Gamesbids hold the power in their hands and minds.

I would like, most graciously at this time to thank Rio for an exceptionally stunning bid and to formally congratulate them on bringing the games to South America for the first time. I would also at this time want to suggest that this victory is perhaps the loudest, most unmistakable indirect message to the Canadian City of Toronto to commence working towards an Olympic future. Be assertive not arrogant, be meticulous not dismissive, be determined and your efforts shall not fail. This should most ceratinly apply to Toronto in its bid to stage the 2015 Pan American Games. Scutinize carefully who you choose, if you so choose, to lead your bid. See you in

Vancouver 2010

London 2012

and

Rio 2016!!!!!!!!!!

If that's your assessment then you have the right to those views.

What I think is sad is how people feel justified in their anti-American tirades and ultimately spout lies about the U.S.

Two points - the insusation that American athletes are cheats is nothing short of disgusting. The whole world has a problem with doping.

Secondly, blaming the United States in the way you have for the global economic crisis shows how ignorant you are. If you understood economics you would realize that the global economy is based on a 'closed system'. This means that all parts are integrated into it and indeed, the whole world's economy is interconnected. Every nation must bear some responsibility - The U.S, France, UK, Canada, China, Japan, Timbuktoo, Buenos Aries, Sydney et cetera. Everyone has a role in it!

Oh, and Barack Obama going to Copenhagen was not an insult to the IOC. If anything, it was a compliment to the IOC and an acknowledgement of their status. Do you blame other nations for allowing their heads of State to go to Copenhagen - why just single out Obama?

I don't see how having the CC in Maracana will lead to any improvement in the quality of the CC. There will be football matches in the stadium in the final days. Plus, the tradition is clear: The OC is an extravaganza and the CC is an afterthought/dance party. That just seems to be the way it works. Even if Rio had the option of souping up the CC (and in my opinion they don't -- due to the football schedule) I don't think they would.

I don't see how having the CC in Maracana will lead to any improvement in the quality of the CC. There will be football matches in the stadium in the final days. Plus, the tradition is clear: The OC is an extravaganza and the CC is an afterthought/dance party. That just seems to be the way it works. Even if Rio had the option of souping up the CC (and in my opinion they don't -- due to the football schedule) I don't think they would.

They can work around one match. The point is, the CC can have more technical rehearsals in its venue vs. 0 in the regular stadium. The fact that RIOCOG will put the soccer finals there is their decision, and it'll impede the CC a little; but they can work around that. Just my 2 euros.

Archived