Why Does Rio Insist On Two Stadiums?

And that's good. You have to bring the games at the heart of your city. I would love to see an opening ceremony in a temporary stadium, on Champs de Mars (park at bottom of the Eiffel Tower) with the Eiffel Tower used at Cauldron.....

that would be a nice idea - the Champ de Mars is a wonderful place - on one side the Tour Eiffel and on the other side the building of the Ecole Militaire

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guys, Rio will host the Olympics in the south-american way...

With cauldron and ceremonies in a soccer stadium, Marathon ending in the sambadrome (this will be amazing), canoe-kayak in the middle of the city...

It will be different olympics to celebrate a new continent with new things to show

You are right, Rio will host the Olympics in the south-american way, but since Olympic Games are owned by us all, we will "praise" new ideas, which we like, and "doom" new ideas, which we don't like.

That is just the way it goes...

You are right, Rio will host the Olympics in the south-american way, but since Olympic Games are owned by us all, we will "praise" new ideas, which we like, and "doom" new ideas, which we don't like.

That is just the way it goes...

Good response! The Games are for all of us and we are all entitled to have opinions

I'm sure Rio will make it work. I have no problem with the marathon ending in the sambadrome. Athens' marathon ended in the Panathinaiko stadium (the first Olympic stadium) rather than at OAKA. Then they did the medal ceremony at OAKA during the CC.

I understand why Brazil has made the proposal. It doesn't make sense for them to build yet another stadium and they cannot adapt Maracana. I understand this. It surprises me a little that they didn't make Havelange larger in the first place -- they could have done so easily. (Just like Chicago could have renovated Soldier Field differently in a way that could have accommodated an Olympic Games, but it's too late for that now.) In a way, it appears that Brazil always wanted the OC in Maracana and just assumed the IOC would overlook it. Obviously they were right.

Truthfully, I'm not sure I like the idea of two torches. Seems a little strange. Why cauldrons for football and athletics, but not for swimming or fencing? Just feels odd. In a way, two torches would highlight the odd division of venues. Probably better to just stick with one and let the networks edit it in at every commercial break....

I'm sure Rio will make it work. I have no problem with the marathon ending in the sambadrome. Athens' marathon ended in the Panathinaiko stadium (the first Olympic stadium) rather than at OAKA. Then they did the medal ceremony at OAKA during the CC.

I understand why Brazil has made the proposal. It doesn't make sense for them to build yet another stadium and they cannot adapt Maracana. I understand this. It surprises me a little that they didn't make Havelange larger in the first place -- they could have done so easily. (Just like Chicago could have renovated Soldier Field differently in a way that could have accommodated an Olympic Games, but it's too late for that now.) In a way, it appears that Brazil always wanted the OC in Maracana and just assumed the IOC would overlook it. Obviously they were right.

Truthfully, I'm not sure I like the idea of two torches. Seems a little strange. Why cauldrons for football and athletics, but not for swimming or fencing? Just feels odd. In a way, two torches would highlight the odd division of venues. Probably better to just stick with one and let the networks edit it in at every commercial break....

I have nothing against that the marathon won't start and/or end in the Olympic Stadium - what I absolutely don't like is that one or both ceremonies should take place in the Maracana stadium, since two years before the Olympic Games, the stadium will see the final of the FIFA 2014 World Cup - the ceremonies of the Olympic Games should be something very special - they shouldn't be confusable with the ceremony before a FIFA World Cup final! Maybe these connection brings tears into the eyes of Brazilians, but the should bear in mind that they don't own the Olympic Games...

(By the way - maybe some Brazilians think that we are unfair due they are Brazilians, but they should ask the Chinese, the British or the Greeks... - if somebody receive the honour to host an international event they should keep the international audience in mind)

Joao Havelange stadium capacity will be 70,000 to the Olympic Games.

The bid book says 60,000. It will be smaller than most Olympic stadiums; 20,000 smaller than London's, 30,000 smaller than Beijing's, and I think, 40,000 smaller than Sydney's (which had massive temporary wings, of course).

I don't have a problem with that as long as the atmosphere is good. 60,000 is still a lot of people and the Olympics is, for 99%, a TV event. And I'd much rather see a smaller stadium which is full all of the time than a huge bowl with empty seats for some events. Also, I don't have a problem with the marathon not ending in the stadium.

I am, however, uncomfortable with the two stadiums idea. I've never liked it and just because Rio has won that doesn't mean I'll change my mind. I'd much rather we had the ceremonies and the cauldron lighting at the Olympic stadium.

Whether the IOC feel the same I don't know. The vote would suggest they don't. But I wouldn't be that surprised if they voted for Rio despite this plan and if changes are made in the next few years. We'll have to see.

Whether the IOC feel the same I don't know. The vote would suggest they don't. But I wouldn't be that surprised if they voted for Rio despite this plan and if changes are made in the next few years. We'll have to see.

I hope so - many plans had changed after the city received the honour to welcome the world to celebrate together the Olympic Games

Well, IAAF and IOC seems to not change the plan. Both well evaluated the idea.

IAAF is happy on having "a exclusive venue for athletics" according to Brazilian media.

Well, I'd rather too ceremonies being placed on JH Stadium, but I'm starting to like the idea on having it on Maracana...

Good response! The Games are for all of us and we are all entitled to have opinions

Rio propose, with you (weird) don't like it, ask for changes, for a while the idea was well-evaluated by you, ops... IOC...

I already said I prefer Olympic Opening Ceremony in JH, but I'm not full against Maracana as you guys...

PLease understand that... Indeed, I can't imagine where in Maracana CORIO will put a cauldron!

But you guys are thinking Brazil will break a tradition... That's not true, it will be not the first time and why not give a exception and a honour for probably the most known stadium in the world? The is symbolism on it too.

I like the discussion, I don't like the "Brazil can't break it", "who is Brazil to propose this?", "they are offending Olympism", "Brazil idiots about soccer" stuff...

Brazil will make a difference in the Olympic Games. Give games to Brazil is already break some traditions on IOC (I mean members). Why not try something new?

I like the discussion, I don't like the "Brazil can't break it", "who is Brazil to propose this?", "they are offending Olympism", "Brazil idiots about soccer" stuff...

Danny,

I don't know how I should start - maybe like this:

please don't take anything what we critisise as an attack on Brazil. When we critisise some parts/points of the bid plan now, we do it since this part/point doesn't fit with our personal taste - we would have done it too if Chicago, Tokyo or Madrid had won!!!

Rio de Janeiro was selected by the IOC - the organisation team of Rio de Janeiro is now in the situation to transfer the bid plan into reality - the team will recognise soon that not all points/parts will fit with the international taste and will decide together with the experts of the IOC what remains and what has to been changed - that is totally normal!!!

London is changing things - Vancouver, Beijing, Torino, Athens, Salt Lake City.... changed things

e.g. the proposed stadium for Munich 1972 was totally different - it was changed

stmd.jpg

proposed stadium

Therefore please don't feel attacked when we just post our opinion here and you don't need to defend anything what we critisise, since I doubt that the proposed plan of Rio will be transfered into reality one by one...

Maybe the changes, which by the way have to be agreed by the organisation team of Rio and by the IOC, might be much better than the proposed bid plan!!!

Citius. I want some changes in the master plan. There are lots of thing that could be better. For me,

- Marathon Swimming shoud be held in Flamengo Beach instead Copacabana because of flatter waters.

- The archery venue could be place any place except Sambadrome, since Sambadrome is enourmous and there aren't lots of people huge fan of archery (this venue will be empty and this is not good).

- Beach Volleyball players shold be placed (accomodations) in Copacabana to avoid long trips. This is polemic.

But, of course not you, people here put the critics with a lot of angry based on their defeated fav cities. This is sad.

Citius. I want some changes in the master plan. There are lots of thing that could be better. For me,

- Marathon Swimming shoud be held in Flamengo Beach instead Copacabana because of flatter waters.

- The archery venue could be place any place except Sambadrome, since Sambadrome is enourmous and there aren't lots of people huge fan of archery (this venue will be empty and this is not good).

- Beach Volleyball players shold be placed (accomodations) in Copacabana to avoid long trips. This is polemic.

But, of course not you, people here put the critics with a lot of angry based on their defeated fav cities. This is sad.

BTW, I really hope Rio change the architectural plans for the Olympic... Everything seems too boxed. This will probably change! Hope so!

great - that is exactly what I am interested in - you are Brazilian - you know much better the situation in Rio de Janeiro, therewith your opinion is important!!

Of course the people, who supported other bids are dissapointed now, but time will heal all wounds - the best thing is when the people, who supported Rio, stay calm with the critics and talk with the others in a constructive way - that will help a lot to heal the wounds faster...

Just keep in mind how you would have felt now if Rio de Janeiro hadn't won - yes GB is a forum which is based in Canada and therewith you might feel more attacked than anglo-saxons, but that can be caused by the fact, that this is an english speaking forum and our use of languages are different (I have sometimes this problem myself - since english isn't my first language - maybe you remember my reaction on Lulas speech - that might be caused out of the same reason - I really felt insulted - in a really bad way)

Therefore I hope we will have great discussions here on the boards in the next seven years and I am looking forward to colourful fantastic Brazilian Olympic Games in 2016!!!

Agree with you, Citius.

Sometimes be partner of this forum, without English as first language is a real disadvantage in the discussions.

But, thanks to this forum, my English is getting better (far from being perfect).

Exactly. Danny's English is pretty good, but sometimes he doesn't say what he means.

For example, last week he said he wouldn't post until after the decision. This must have been lost in translation. I assume what he really meant was "I'm going to post loads".

Language barriers eh? :P

Exactly. Danny's English is pretty good, but sometimes he doesn't say what he means.

For example, last week he said he wouldn't post until after the decision. This must have been lost in translation. I assume what he really meant was "I'm going to post loads".

lol, Rob, I hope Danny will understand the humour in your post!!

:)

I got it, don't worry...

(because of that emoticon)

LOL

And didn't Washington DC propose having the ceremonies on the National Mall?
yes.

Also, 2 stadia idea was proposed by Chicago early on. USOC sort of shot that idea down when they moved the stadium to Washington Park.

New York 1984 plan also called for athletes march down Broadway.

That is completely and utterly irrelevant. What matters is what has actually been DONE. People's whacked out crazy stupid idiotic ideas that never came to fruition don't matter. The USOC shot down that early Chicago proposal? Are you surprised by that? Stop bringing up some people's insane daydreams. They all never happened and for good reason.

Guys, Rio will host the Olympics in the south-american way...

Let's not get too arrogant, okay? If Chicago had won, and started planning things in a way that some members of the international community complained about, and Chicago said, "The United States won the Olympics, and we will host them the AMERICAN WAY.", I'm sure the howls of protest would be huge.

Athens' marathon ended in the Panathinaiko stadium (the first Olympic stadium) rather than at OAKA. Then they did the medal ceremony at OAKA during the CC.

Athens was a special exception made for good, historic reason. The 100th anniversary of the games, with Panathinaiko being the the original Olympic Stadium, so that can't really be used as justification anywhere else.

But you guys are thinking Brazil will break a tradition... That's not true,

Yes, it's totally true. You are most definitely breaking Olympic tradition.

it will be not the first time

As already stated, when Athens did it, it was a very special occasion, and they had a good historic reason for doing so.

and why not give a exception and a honour for probably the most known stadium in the world? The is symbolism on it too.

Maracana isn't the most famous stadium in the world. I'd never heard of it before Rio started bidding. Hell, Wembley I think is more known than Maracana.

I don't like the "Brazil can't break it", "who is Brazil to propose this?", "they are offending Olympism",

Get used to it. When you host an international event like the Olympic games, you're going to get criticism.

Brazil will make a difference in the Olympic Games. Give games to Brazil is already break some traditions on IOC (I mean members). Why not try something new?

Giving the games to Brazil wasn't the break of any traditions. South America was bound to get the games eventually, and finally did.

Archived