EURO 2012

UEFA have received five bids to host the European soccer championship in 2012, European soccer's governing body announced in a statement on Friday.

They comprise joint bids from Croatia-Hungary and Poland-Ukraine and single bids from Greece, Italy and Turkey.

Bids from Azerbaijan, Romania and Russia which were submitted by the initial deadline in February were not followed through by Thursday's final deadline.

The five bidding candidatures will be reduced to a short-list of three on November 7 and the decision on who will host the event will be taken by UEFA's Executive Committee in December 2006.

Italy are the only country to have staged a version of the finals in the past, hosting a four-team tournament in 1968 and an eight-team tournament in 1980.

The current 16-team tournament is the third biggest sporting event in world sport after the World Cup and Olympic Games.

link

So it is officially...

Croatia-Hungary

Poland-Ukraine

Greece

Italy

Turkey

Who would you like to see host and why?

I would favour Greece or Turkey. They both have good footballl teams and good stadia. I'm not convinced by joint bids....but I'm willing to be proved wrong in 2008 when Austria/Switzerland host.

I want Turkey to host because they haven't hosted any big sport event yet, on the other hand Italy hosted two Euros in past editions, has hosted the Olympic Games of 1960, etc.

Let's Go Euro Turkey 2012!!! :;):

My favourite is also Turkey.

Despite having hosted this year's Champions League Final, they haven't hosted many worldwide reknowned sporting events. They have one of the best european stadiums (Atatürk Olympic Stadium) and can expand or convert other stadia to properly host an Euro. Besides, turkish fans' love for football is also known, their league and national team is growing.

Along with Turkey, Greece and Italy seem to be the strongest contenders. Both will have to convert/expand their stadia (Italy the most i guess...); don't know if they have to build new ones. I sense Greece can top Italy's bid.

I don't see joint bids succeeding (especially Poland/Ukraine - two huge countries), after Euro 2008.

Anxious to see the bid-books. Good luck!

I would favour Greece or Turkey. They both have good footballl teams and good stadia. I'm not convinced by joint bids....but I'm willing to be proved wrong in 2008 when Austria/Switzerland host.

I'd agree with that as well. Turkey or Greece for me too. Or they could put forward a Turkey-Greece bid and stuff the opposition, especially if they're Hungary. Will the decesion be made in Brussels? Oh, the puns are endless...

Sorry.  :P

I wouldn't think Italy would be the favourite because of the violence that is now unfortunately too common in Italian play, not to mention the Italian leagues have had more financial trouble than any of the other principle leagues, and Italy in general is financially troubled because of a heavily corrupt government

• 3 months later...

I think that other things are hiding behind.

It doesn't make sense a country with such an experience as Greece to be out, and other with smaller to be in.

Also, it doesn't make any sense to leave outside 2 favorites (Greece/Turkey) and to include outsiders.

It looks like Euro2012 is heading to Italy.

I agree. Hosting the Olympics (26 World Championships) is more difficult job than to host 1 European Championship.

Have Greece got enough stadiums already?

If not, would the average Greek be willing to pay more money towards a big sporting event and more potential white elephants?

Italy, Croatia/Hungary and Poland/Ukraine are shortlisted by UEFA.

Gmae Over for Greece and Turkey!!!

Go Italy, go!!!

Then...

GO POLAND/UKRAINE!!! :)

Wich will be the venues? Warsaw, Kyiv, Krakow, Wroclaw? :oh:

I wouldn't think Italy would be the favourite because of the violence that is now unfortunately too common in Italian play, not to mention the Italian leagues have had more financial trouble than any of the other principle leagues, and Italy in general is financially troubled because of a heavily corrupt government

any further "italian trouble" to add in your list, Faster?.. ???come on.. when will you stop to consider Italy "tha land of the troubles"?  :sleepy:

the italian governement has just approved a laws package which preview stronger rules and a new ticket-system which will make easier to identify people in the stadiums..

any further "italian trouble" to add in your list, Faster?.. ???come on.. when will you stop to consider Italy "tha land of the troubles"?  :sleepy:

the italian governement has just approved a laws package which preview stronger rules and a new ticket-system which will make easier to identify people in the stadiums..

I have to say I partially agree with Faster on this. Whenever I think of Italian crowds my mind goes back to the Milan derby in the CL last season. That is a bad reputation to have, and whether it is deserved on the whole I can't say...but it's one that endures.

It may be (and probably is) the case that a minority are giving the majority a bad name in the same way that the English used to be associated with hooliganism. If the Italian authorities can clamp down on trouble within stadiums in the same way the English have clamped down on trouble outside of them, then there's no reason why 2012 shouldn't go to Itlay. It sounds like they're doing this from your post Rei - I guess we'll have to wait and see how successful the measures are.

I have to say, I'm surprised Greece and Turkey have been dropped. I'm not sure who I want to win this one, but I don't think Italy will necessarily have it all their own way.

BTW, when is the host actually decided?

Archived