Are The Olympic Games Officially The 2nd Biggest Sporting Event On The Planet?

Rob,

I will deeply disagree with you. And I will tell you why.

In the WC announcement, I don't remember where I was, what time was it, anything. I don't even recall the celebrations. I did not get emotional. We knew we would host the WC sooner or later. It was something I have always expected to see in my lifetime.

Yesterday was a day I will remember for as long as I live. I have cried and I have celebrated, even as far from my country as I am. This day will be a scar in my life like the death of Ayrton Senna, the winning of the 94 WC, 9/11, the election of Tancredo Neves (end of dictatorship when I was only 7). It was one of these days that you would never expect. There was no such joy when we got the WC. The SOG means more. It was clear the response of the country. Even some people openly against the bid have recognized their emotion and pride.

So, be prepared because the WC will not overshadow it and it will be memorable Games.

Aluz, simply perfect comment!!!

The Olympics are definitive more Important and World recognized.. just think of the Olympic LOGO.. and Opening CEremonies... the pride and the preparations of an Olympics games... WC is just Soccer.... Olympics is SPORTS....

I love soccer and WC but Olympics are much more rich and recognize..

I have to say though, and perhaps this topic is the best place to say it, that I'd still rather Rio had lost. That's not because I don't want Rio to host (because I do!), but because I still feel that the world cup so shortly before will take some of the gloss of their Olympics. A bit of breathing space between the two would have been preferable, for me (the IOC obviously disagree).

That's not to say I don't think Rio will do a fantasic job, and I'm sure I'll enjoy their games a lot. But the world cup is still a thorn in the side of Rio's victory from my personal stand point.

I'm worried it'll feel like a follow up to the world cup, rather than a fantastic event in its own right.

Go out and prove me wrong, please!

Dor de cotovelo é foda...PQP!!!

I was stating my personal opinion. I would rather not see a world cup and an Olympics within two years of each other in the same country. That goes for any country, not just Brazil. But now it's happened I want to see Brazil do the best job possible, of course I do. I was being honest, a concept your past posts show you clearly don't understand Anne.

I was stating my personal opinion. I would rather not see a world cup and an Olympics within two years of each other in the same country. That goes for any country, not just Brazil. Agree about this.

But now it's happened I want to see Brazil do the best job possible, of course I do. I hope everyone agrees with this!

I was being honest, Unfortunately, in all this Olys decision, those of us who would have chosen a host other than Rio, are getting beaten upon or told to "grow up."

Archived